Author Topic: Is one easier ?  (Read 469 times)

Fullstrutter

Is one easier ?
« on: August 30, 2020, 04:32:30 PM »
I’m 61 yrs old with short fingers and I want to learn. I love the Taylor 812ce dlx and I also love the feel of the T5z.  Is one easier to learn on or are they pretty much Equal? Relating to neck ect. Also are the top woods just eye candy on the T5z or do they count acoustically ?
Thanks in advance for any direction.
Dave

jpmist

• Soundcloud
Re: Is one easier ?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
Generally, an electric is going to be easier to physically learn on because they use lighter gauge strings (0.11 to 0.49 as opposed to 0.12 to 0.53 for an acoustic set)  and the neck is usually set up with the strings lower to the fretboard so they are easier to press down. That said, then you have the complication of getting an amp to play thru with all the thousands of options that amps offer in terms of tone. Another factor is the T5Z neck is 1 11/16" wide at the nut as opposed to most Taylors being 1 3/4". No big deal for normal sized hands but can be cramped for long fingers.

I play both acoustic and Strats and usually gravitate to my acoustics cause I enjoy the natural tone of an acoustic rather than listening to my Strat thru headphones cause I live in a condo. The T5Z is presented as a hollow-body, but given how small and thin the body is, you're not likely to get more than a perfunctory amount of tone unamplified. Loud enough to practice lessons on surely, but not enough to really savor the result as well as you would on an acoustic.

Top woods on a T5Z  are flamed koa, curly maple, spruce or mahogany. I'd call all of them eye candy cause you'd have to play for a decade or so to educate your ear enough to be able to tell the difference that top woods bring to an acoustic guitar's tone. Koa, maple and mahogany are much harder than spruce so you might have less acoustic overtones and resonance. On a guitar that thin and small I doubt that the top wood is going to affect it's unamplified tone all that much, though I confess I haven't played any of them - I'm just skeptical due to the guitar's Les Paul size.

I'm guessing you have the $$$ to treat yourself to a new hobby and I highly encourage it, but don't fall into the trap of "if I spend a lot for a really nice guitar, I'll be sure to make myself learn how to play it." Guilt as motivation to practice isn't all that appealing. There's no shame in dipping your toes into a 200 series or Academy level acoustic Taylor, then selling it or handing it down to a younger family member one day after you've learned how to play. With a few years of lessons you'll have trained your ear well enough to able to tell the difference in what the amazing range of Taylor acoustics offers and that could be your reward for sticking with it!

Good luck!
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »
Hi Dave,

Well you're talking about apples and oranges, sir!  Sure, they are both guitars, but an acoustic guitar feels in one's hands and against one's body like a wholly different animal than an electric, which a T5 really is.  And not only is the feel completely different, so too is the tone; they are worlds apart, no exaggeration.  Think of your favorite tune played/strummed on both these guitars and it won't take you but 12 seconds to form an instant bias: this is where you want to go.  IMHO, decide whether the electric's tones or the acoustic's tones are more to your liking and direction.  That done, there are a world of choices for you, the beginner, regardless of skill level or hand size. :)

Regarding your Q on top woods on the T5, I would say negligible effect on tone.

BTW, glad you're here on the forum, Dave!  Whichever way you decide, chime back in and you'll get advice for whichever way you tip.  Playing guitar is fun and rewarding, but like anything new will have its ruts and ditches.  Good group of folks here ready to lend an ear and a thought! :D

Edward

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 09:03:53 AM »
Hello Dave and welcome aboard here. If I were a beginner I would steer clear of the T5z. Although comfortable and maybe easier to play, you will get into a whole world of “choices” that can be overwhelming on your signal chain. The T5z( I had the T5) is a great guitar, but you need accessories to really enjoy all that it offers.
As a beginner I think a more traditional acoustic guitar offers you a better value in that when you play something well it rewards you immediately with a nice sound that you can hear, as well as any in the room. The 812ce Dlx will offer that reward, but as mentioned above Taylor has many lower priced guitars that are actually wonderful instruments. As you play and your ear grows you may find a preference for other tone woods. As part of Taylor’s buy one get one earlier this year we got an Academy 12, which is the same size as the 812, has an armrest and sounds pretty darn good. There is a recent thread on the forum about where in the Taylor lineup the bang for the buck diminishes, and most agree that every Taylor is well built so it is up to what you like.
All that said, buy what will inspire you to want to pick up the guitar, that is the most important thing.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Sybo