Author Topic: Hello from North WI  (Read 944 times)

frozentundra

Hello from North WI
« on: August 21, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »
Hi everybody!

I was looking at a travel size guitar for my kid, was hoping to get some advice here, but I wound up pulling the trigger on a Mahogany GS Mini before my UTGF account got approved.   

Ended up buying online because I found one with a serial # that indicated this Mini was actually "born" on her birthday, and it has an absolutely amazing grain.  I just took that as a sign that it was meant to be. 

I hope it sounds as good as it looks! 

I do still have a few questions I'll post-up in the guitar forum.  Cheers! 

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hello from North WI
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 07:54:31 PM »
Welcome. That's pretty cool that you found a GSM that shares her birthday. A great choice too, dad!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

frozentundra

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 08:29:22 PM »
Welcome. That's pretty cool that you found a GSM that shares her birthday. A great choice too, dad!

Just out of curiosity, do you notice a difference in ease of playability and fretting notes between your Little Martin and your Taylor GSM?  Do you think a brand new player with low hand strength would notice a difference?  We are committed at this point, but I have been quite curious about this. 

Thanks. 

Apa Stone

• Littledog Music
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 01:10:55 AM »
Hi everybody!

I was looking at a travel size guitar for my kid, was hoping to get some advice here, but I wound up pulling the trigger on a Mahogany GS Mini before my UTGF account got approved.   

Ended up buying online because I found one with a serial # that indicated this Mini was actually "born" on her birthday, and it has an absolutely amazing grain.  I just took that as a sign that it was meant to be. 

I hope it sounds as good as it looks! 

I do still have a few questions I'll post-up in the guitar forum.  Cheers!
Hey there and welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here myself, and discovered it to be a friendly place. Enjoy your GS Mini, I'm sure it will sound great!
2015 Taylor 110e, "Vicente"
2019 Taylor 814ce DLX V-Class, "KiMo"
1978 Kazuo Yairi Conquistador Classical, "Spike"

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 05:33:28 AM »

Just out of curiosity, do you notice a difference in ease of playability and fretting notes between your Little Martin and your Taylor GSM?  Do you think a brand new player with low hand strength would notice a difference?  We are committed at this point, but I have been quite curious about this. 

Thanks.
The LM and the GSM are about the same for fretting. Both are easy to fret and have great playability. Both would be great choices for kids. Where the difference is, is in body size and scale length (and wood vs HPL). I guess it's all in your objectives and the age of the kiddo. I got the LM for travel to dulcimer festivals (when I have to also take along many other instruments....space is a consideration in a motor home), and noodling around when writing out music. It does sound remarkably nice, but not not as nice as the GSM.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:15:22 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Montymitch

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 09:00:09 AM »
Welcome!  Getting a guitar with a serial number like that is a treat.
2021 Taylor 814ce LTD Sinker
Little Martin
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
2020 Epiphone IBG Hummingbird
2021 Fender Telecaster Nashville Deluxe
2021 Epiphone IBG ES-335
Music Man Stingray bass

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 09:47:21 PM »
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. Love the GSM. Currently I have a Koa, but looking hard at a hog next. Where in the northland do you live?

frozentundra

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »
Welcome from SE Wisconsin. Love the GSM. Currently I have a Koa, but looking hard at a hog next. Where in the northland do you live?

I'm up on the shoreline of Lake Superior.  I love sitting in the backyard and looking out over the water while picking away on my cheap guitars.  Speaking of SE Wisconsin, I've got a bunch of family in Milwaukee.  I can't hack the city though; I'm more of a country mouse. 

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 08:26:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum frozentundra.  Hope you enjoy your stay.  Finding a guitar for your daughter in her size and with her birth date is pretty amazing, I hope she sees the value in that.

I have a GSMini for my Granddaughter for when she comes to visit, she is a early teen and it seems to work well for her.  The size is good. The short-scale fits her well. With my G.daughter it was a real growth time for her and guitar size quickly became a non issue with the GSMini in mind.  I might suggest you swiich the medium strings for light guage right away.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 09:30:03 PM »

I'm up on the shoreline of Lake Superior.  I love sitting in the backyard and looking out over the water while picking away on my cheap guitars.  Speaking of SE Wisconsin, I've got a bunch of family in Milwaukee.  I can't hack the city though; I'm more of a country mouse.
We were in Bayfield last year for vacation and loved it. We were going back this year before the covid came on. We wanted to take in a show at the "big top". Oh well, maybe next year. Again, welcome to the forum.

fixed quote
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:43:49 AM by TaylorGirl »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 06:43:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum frozentundra.  Hope you enjoy your stay.  Finding a guitar for your daughter in her size and with her birth date is pretty amazing, I hope she sees the value in that.

I have a GSMini for my Granddaughter for when she comes to visit, she is a early teen and it seems to work well for her.  The size is good. The short-scale fits her well. With my G.daughter it was a real growth time for her and guitar size quickly became a non issue with the GSMini in mind.  I might suggest you swiich the medium strings for light guage right away.

I think I may know about the GSM that you speak of.  ;)
Susie