Author Topic: Book: Taylor Guitars - 30 Years of a New American Classic  (Read 1135 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Book: Taylor Guitars - 30 Years of a New American Classic
« on: July 26, 2020, 03:08:32 PM »
I have a still-in-the-plastic-wrap copy of this hardcover book which was published to coincide with Taylor's 30th anniversary.

I'll offer it free (including shipping if you answer the bonus question correctly!) to the first person to correctly answer this question:

In 1974, Bob Taylor and Kurt Listug purchased the American Dream in Lemon Grove, California. The lion's share of the money came in the form of a $3,000 loan from Kurt's father. What was the one condition on which Kurt's father agreed to make the loan?

BONUS QUESTION!! Get this, and I'll ship the book for free! Otherwise it'll be about ten bucks.

Since Kurt put up most of the money, why isn't the company called Listug Guitars?
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Book: Taylor Guitars - 30 Years of a New American Classic
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »
Only if they'd get Bob Taylor to agree to be a part of it, since he knew about building guitars?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 03:44:47 PM »
Only if they'd get Bob Taylor to agree to be a part of it, since he knew about building guitars?

"WE HAVE A WINNER!"

Essentially, yes.

Kurt's Dad asked him who the best builder at "The Dream" was, and Kurt replied "This kid named Bob Taylor." Kurt's father said "Well, get him to be a part of it and I'll loan you the money."

Kurt also knew how to build, but he saw Bob as having a far greater talent for it.

Now, wanna' try for the free shipping?
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 04:05:59 PM »
I will take a shot at free shipping. Because it had a better sound to it and easier than Listug? Also, he was the "builder" after all?

I do also remember that the Taylor logo came from looking at a Taylor thermometer in the shop. The Taylor thermometer had a font they really liked and they patterned it after that. This is interesting to me, because in our Maple Syrup Business, one of our thermometers is a Taylor. It really does look like the name on the headstocks of my guitars.

That was a bonus on MY side. Is that worth anything?  ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:09:56 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 04:15:31 PM »
I will take a shot at free shipping. Because it had a better sound to it and easier than Listug?

Basically, yes.

When Bob and Kurt looked at the major acoustic builders at the time, names like "Martin" and "Gibson" had a distinctively "American" sound to them. The name "Taylor" had that sound. "Listug"? Not so much.

PM me shipping info and I'll get the book out this week!

Congrats!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 05:04:29 PM »
Wow, I never win anything. ;) I had to work for this one.

You are so generous to offer this book, so cool. Thank you.

Now I have to see if I have anything worth doing a Karma giveaway on. I did some Taylor picks a couple years ago. I need to go through my stuff, you never know what you may find.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:10:03 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 09:26:43 PM »
Wow, I never win anything. ;) I had to work for this one.

You are so generous to offer this book, so cool. Thank you.

Now I have to see if I have anything worth doing a Karma giveaway on. I did some Taylor picks a couple years ago. I need to go through my stuff, you never know what you may find.

I've had this book for the last 16 years. Seeing as I haven't opened it (I have one autographed by Bob) I thought it'd be nice to send it along to someone who might enjoy it...