Author Topic: Drew My Sidearm...  (Read 1549 times)

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
Drew My Sidearm...
« on: June 27, 2020, 11:45:33 PM »
I don't know if this is too political or whatever so, if it is, please feel free to lock this thread down. I need to get this out of my system, though.

Long story short: Tonight I drew my sidearm, a Colt .380, on someone who was carrying in a bar and drew down on the bartender.

It's been nine years since I've done this. My adrenaline is still pumping and I feel like laughing and crying at the same time.

I'm well trained in the use of deadly force and escalation of force, and I knew my actions were completely lawful. Still, it's a situation which, if it takes another nine years, will come too soon. The last time I did this things ended much differently, and I live with that every single day of my life.

I drew my firearm and leveled it at him. After identifying myself as a police officer he dropped his weapon. The police were called and the guy was arrested, and rightly so.

Now, I'm not a cop. But nothing will get someone's attention faster than thinking they've just been made by law enforcement. I'm perfectly fine with lying about that. The policeman who interviewed me actually got a kick out of the fact that I did that.

I'm leaving out a lot of details for the sake of brevity. I take a lot of things for granted, but I think I'm going to ruminate on this a bit. Experience tells me that it easily could've ended much, much differently...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Drew My Sidearm...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 06:10:20 AM »
So happy things ended safely. My husband and I both have our permits, but I sure hope I never have to pull it out on someone, let alone, pull the trigger. When I travel downstate alone, I carry it in the car. We both feel better having the firearms with us when we travel in the motor home. That bartender is probably grateful that you de-escalated the situation. Take care.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:54:08 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 11:15:21 AM »
Yeah, never a good thing to have to draw a weapon in anger on someone, even if it ends so-to-speak well (i.e., no one hurt/shot).

I found myself in a similar situation a number of years back where I was renting a room in Lexington, KY from a woman who ostensibly owned a house (I was working a remote site flight test program there, so I did not have a permanent residence in Lexington).  Long story short, the woman actually did NOT own the house, she was renting it herself; she was taking rent payments from me and another tenant, but never paying the rent on the house to the actual owner/landlord.  So, one evening I came back from work to find everything unexpectedly piled on the lawn and a constable standing there overseeing the eviction.  As if this wasn't bad enough, as night fell, random people started showing up and began -- literally -- trying to steal the possessions scattered about the lawn.  When I confronted them, they basically ignored me, told me the property was considered 'abandoned,' and merrily went about loading it in their vehicles until they could hold no more.

I have a CCL issued by the state of Texas, which has reciprocity with (among numerous other states) Kentucky.  Fortunately, the house was located on a dead-end cul de sac, and there were other vehicles that had been parked for the evening along either side of the street -- meaning there was only one way out of the neighborhood by vehicle, and only a path wide enough for a single vehicle to exit between the parked cars.  While on the cell phone with the police, I stood in the middle of that path and pretty-much dared the first woman trying to haul away her 'booty' to run me over (picture the guy standing down a tank in Tiananmen Square).  I was literally chest to grill with the truck, so if she'd so much as revved the engine, I'd pretty-much decided I was going to draw my pistol and shoot her -- not display the weapon in an effort to bluff her; not fire any warning shots:  point it at her and pull the trigger.  I wasn't even going to wait to see if she was bluffing the charge...

Fortunately, she simply tried to stare me down...  Which gave the police enough time to arrive and force everyone to unload their vehicles before chasing them away.  Still, it made for a long and tiresome night for me, as I thanklessly stood guard over everyone's possessions until they could be carried off by their rightful owners...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »
I don't know if this is too political or whatever so, if it is, please feel free to lock this thread down. I need to get this out of my system, though.

Long story short: Tonight I drew my sidearm, a Colt .380, on someone who was carrying in a bar and drew down on the bartender.

It's been nine years since I've done this. My adrenaline is still pumping and I feel like laughing and crying at the same time.

I'm well trained in the use of deadly force and escalation of force, and I knew my actions were completely lawful. Still, it's a situation which, if it takes another nine years, will come too soon. The last time I did this things ended much differently, and I live with that every single day of my life.

I drew my firearm and leveled it at him. After identifying myself as a police officer he dropped his weapon. The police were called and the guy was arrested, and rightly so.

Now, I'm not a cop. But nothing will get someone's attention faster than thinking they've just been made by law enforcement. I'm perfectly fine with lying about that. The policeman who interviewed me actually got a kick out of the fact that I did that.

I'm leaving out a lot of details for the sake of brevity. I take a lot of things for granted, but I think I'm going to ruminate on this a bit. Experience tells me that it easily could've ended much, much differently...

wow, crazy. glad you were able to deescalate the situation and great fast thinking. glad you didn’t have to use it.
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »
Yeah, never a good thing to have to draw a weapon in anger on someone, even if it ends so-to-speak well (i.e., no one hurt/shot).

I found myself in a similar situation a number of years back where I was renting a room in Lexington, KY from a woman who ostensibly owned a house (I was working a remote site flight test program there, so I did not have a permanent residence in Lexington).  Long story short, the woman actually did NOT own the house, she was renting it herself; she was taking rent payments from me and another tenant, but never paying the rent on the house to the actual owner/landlord.  So, one evening I came back from work to find everything unexpectedly piled on the lawn and a constable standing there overseeing the eviction.  As if this wasn't bad enough, as night fell, random people started showing up and began -- literally -- trying to steal the possessions scattered about the lawn.  When I confronted them, they basically ignored me, told me the property was considered 'abandoned,' and merrily went about loading it in their vehicles until they could hold no more.

I have a CCL issued by the state of Texas, which has reciprocity with (among numerous other states) Kentucky.  Fortunately, the house was located on a dead-end cul de sac, and there were other vehicles that had been parked for the evening along either side of the street -- meaning there was only one way out of the neighborhood by vehicle, and only a path wide enough for a single vehicle to exit between the parked cars.  While on the cell phone with the police, I stood in the middle of that path and pretty-much dared the first woman trying to haul away her 'booty' to run me over (picture the guy standing down a tank in Tiananmen Square).  I was literally chest to grill with the truck, so if she'd so much as revved the engine, I'd pretty-much decided I was going to draw my pistol and shoot her -- not display the weapon in an effort to bluff her; not fire any warning shots:  point it at her and pull the trigger.  I wasn't even going to wait to see if she was bluffing the charge...

Fortunately, she simply tried to stare me down...  Which gave the police enough time to arrive and force everyone to unload their vehicles before chasing them away.  Still, it made for a long and tiresome night for me, as I thanklessly stood guard over everyone's possessions until they could be carried off by their rightful owners...

wow, i imagine in that moment, things were super confusing to everyone, what a mess!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

AmericanEagle

• Veteran Member
  • <><
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 07:57:49 AM »
That was brave, you did the right thing. As they say, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
In what state do you reside? Most states have penalties for impersonating a police officer.
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »
In what state do you reside? Most states have penalties for impersonating a police officer.

I live in Florida.

The policeman who interviewed me at the scene had no problem with it, probably because I didn't do it for some sort of benefit. As soon as I said the word "police", the guy dropped his weapon.

You're actually the first person I've encountered who sees anything wrong with that. As far as I knew, the guy was going to kill the bartender.

I stopped him.

Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I shouldn't have been carrying in a bar, either. You're not supposed to do that. This is one of Florida's finer biker bars, though, so it's pretty well understood that a good number of people in the bar at any time are armed. And, these days (riots, etc) I just don't leave the house without a gun.

The cop I spoke with simply said "You know you're not supposed to do that, right?" I responded with "Yeah, but I'm glad I did."

"The cop said "Me, too."
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »
Glad you all are safe friend!
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard