Author Topic: Aloha from new mermber  (Read 691 times)

kilinoecam

Aloha from new mermber
« on: June 14, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
Thank you all, and especially those of you who are manually monitoring, for making this list. 

I am very happy to be joining a group of people share a love of Taylor guitars.  I am writing to you from our little tea and koa forest on Hawai`i Island (where Taylor gets all of its koa: have a look at www.BigIslandTea.com if you are interested).  This is my fourth attempt at learning guitar and I believe that the responsibility for me sticking with it this time belongs to a 114e.  The first three times I attempted to learn I did so with the cheapest instrument I could find and quickly threw in the towel.  When I turned 51, coming up on 6 years ago, my Sweetie encouraged me to get a good guitar to try again.  Well, you all know what happened.  Since then I have loved the learning to play the guitar... I'm impatient with learning, but I pick up a guitar just about every day and I'm working through some barre chord phobias.  I am also fascinated by guitar construction (even trying my own hand at building a "Super-Strat" and a "Parts-caster" with what's left (LOL). 

In the past almost 6 years, I have been extraordinarily lucky to find a gorgeous 2006 T-5 Koa.  This is a breath-taking guitar that I bought to memorialize my music teacher Grandma but alas, I find myself wanting to learn accoustic better before I get into electric.  A year later, I found a Stunning 2004 Custom "Super-sonic" 954 ce.  Wow!  I traded the 114 for a really pretty all koa Washburn comfort series guitar.  A surprising guitar given the price that I will be selling to make room in the cabinet.  I also purchased a really cool Washburn parlor (R320SWRK).  Also very affordable, surprisingly thunderous voice for it's size and beautiful solid rosewood and torrified spruce.   Washburn used one of their guitar blueprints from the early 20th century, with some modification, to build it.   I would eventually like to replace this one with 900 series or maybe a PS (Mr Powers, are you listening?) parlor ... maybe sinker/rosewood? or sinker/koa?  Does the 717 fit in there somewhere? I bought a very interesting Dean Zelinsky La Voce (sorta like a Les Paul) with stereo output and humbucker splitter, and a Mexican black Stratocaster that I am having some fun with (rosewood neck and vintage Gotoh tuners to start).  Last summer I purchased a really amazing 2018 612 ce 12-fret.  Amazing burnt brown sugar rub into the stunningly figured maple and torrefied spruce top.  I love playing this guitar as it enabled me to feel comfortable with barre chords.  This summer I found a guitar that I did not think I would own and feel so lucky, inspired and startled by a BE K14ce.  This guitar is a whole different game.  The build detail is incredible and a little understated, well as understated as you can be with paua vine insert in the fretboard and trim and , well you know. I will share close-ups of the Taylors.

Mahalo for the chance to introduce myself.  I  am thrilled to have found y'all and look forward to learning and participating.  Aloha, kilinoecam
(if interested, "kilinoe" means "misty rain" in Hawaiian and describes the predominate rain patterns here at 3,000', literally in the clouds that come off the ocean, on the slope of the Mauna Loa volcano)
2020 BE K-14ce (spruce top)
2006 T-5 koa-top
2004 954ce
2017 612 12-fret
Washburn WCG55CE
Washburn R320SWRK
Cordoba baritone Ukulele
Fender Super-Strat (in the making) rosewood neck
Dean Zelenski LaVoce
"Parts-caster" being assembled

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
Re: Aloha from new mermber
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 04:48:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the story of your guitar journey. Obviously the K14ce was an almost obligatory choice, being that the wood essentially came from your backyard.

You will enjoy it here very much. Besides a pic of your guitar, I'd love to see a pic of where you live!
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

Taylor224

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 05:00:44 PM »
Welcome.  I too have an admiration for Koa, my 224.  Has a nice, thumping, low end that is why I choose it.  2nd, was it was stunning.   

Welcome...
“I’m gonna be a happy idiot, and struggle for the legal tender”

1982 Washburn D10CE/B
2019 Taylor 224CE-K DLX
2019 Taylor 214CE
Guild D1212 12 String

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 05:27:26 PM »
Welcome, I saw your new BE in the other thread, that is absolutely gorgeous. You have an impressive stable of Taylors. That should keep you moving forward in your journey.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

kilinoecam

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 09:26:32 PM »
Mahalo for your welcomes. 
Welcome, I saw your new BE in the other thread, that is absolutely gorgeous. You have an impressive stable of Taylors. That should keep you moving forward in your journey.
Yes, I have been lucky to find some really inspiring instruments!
Welcome.  I too have an admiration for Koa, my 224.  Has a nice, thumping, low end that is why I choose it.  2nd, was it was stunning.   

Welcome...

I love the sound koa makes...

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the story of your guitar journey. Obviously the K14ce was an almost obligatory choice, being that the wood essentially came from your backyard.

You will enjoy it here very much. Besides a pic of your guitar, I'd love to see a pic of where you live!

Mahalo.  I put up a couple photos of the K14 in New Guitar Days and a photo of a couple koa in our forest in a new thread on koa trees.  Getting a few koa guitars is inescapable for me.  I am hoping to make (with the help of someone skilled with a bandsaw) a three piece Strat-style electric guitar from a koa that died in a hurricane a few years back.

Aloha,
2020 BE K-14ce (spruce top)
2006 T-5 koa-top
2004 954ce
2017 612 12-fret
Washburn WCG55CE
Washburn R320SWRK
Cordoba baritone Ukulele
Fender Super-Strat (in the making) rosewood neck
Dean Zelenski LaVoce
"Parts-caster" being assembled