Author Topic: Loop Pedal  (Read 926 times)

DBCooper

Loop Pedal
« on: June 08, 2020, 02:34:53 PM »
I'm not a professional musician, but I'd love to do some loops (I think it would be great practice).  Guessing no more than 4 tracks.

How does that work?  Can you keep them separate, or do they all become 1 track....once you advance to the next loop?

How much are these things?

Thanks.

Jeff

Tinker Taylor

Re: Loop Pedal
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 05:42:28 AM »
I'm a home-only player and use a looper that's built in to a ZOOM G5n multi-effects, but I've also used a BOSS RC-3 and a TC Electronic Ditto X2. I think BOSS (RC-30? and possibly others) do loopers with multi-tracks, but the ones I've mentioned have no separation between the tracks, or layers... other than to allow 'undo' and 'redo' of the last recorded layer. Unless you really want to separate the tracks for recording, the simpler loopers are great fun and all offer similar functionality. I use the G5n because it has unlimited overdubs, 80 seconds mono looping, or 40 seconds stereo (either of which is enough for me to practice with) and it has the option of 60 rhythm tracks that 'quantize' the loops - I use the simpler tracks, more like you might a metronome, purely to assist with timing.

In general, I have come to prefer loopers with a button switch, as opposed to the spring pad of the RC-3, they just feel more precise. The G5n can be set up to give you a two button looper, like a Ditto X2, but I'll probably add a TC Ditto X2 to my set-up if I feel the need for longer looping times. The Ditto only stores one loop [might be two... can't remember] so you can't advance to multiple loops, but the likes of the RC-3 and Digitech Jamman store many many more... I can see the advantages of this for a performer, but for home use it's just one of those things you'll probably never really need. Also, you can store backing tracks on these loopers, but I'd use my other devices for that, where I could more easily access my libraries.

One good word of advice I read recently was, you'll probably never need a lot of the functions of some of the fancier loopers, so just start with something simple and take it from there.

A decent looper starts at about £65.00 (the basic one button Ditto) or £120.00 Ditto X2, RC-3.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:47:15 AM by Tinker Taylor »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 05:11:46 PM »
Hey Jeff
Loopers can be simple one-button affairs, all the way up to stacking, quantizing, multiple memory slots ...you name it.  Everything depends on what you’re trying to accomplish, from simple hobby use all the way up to programming a full set list as your gig backtrack.  Read up on them ...lots there to suck you in :)

Edward

gustavowoltmann

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 01:12:37 AM »
HI, The looper can go in a few different places. The most popular position is at the very end of your signal chain. This allows the looper to capture your exact current pedal setup in the loop. It won't react to changes made on your pedalboard either. Another option is to place it between certain effects. Having the looper embedded within your effects loop ensures you can trigger modulation, reverb etc and alter your entire sound.