Author Topic: 2015 X Braced 614ce vs V Class?  (Read 1259 times)

29er

2015 X Braced 614ce vs V Class?
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
I bought a 2015 614ce brand new after being floored by it's bottom end power while still being a balanced guitar, low to high. Prior to COVID I had tried several V class 614ce's and never found one that could stand up to my 2015. Has anyone else had the same experience? To my ear, the V class guitars did have great sustain but they all lacked the low end of my X braced model. I have heard several similar complaints about the entire V class line but I'm focusing on the 600 series because I happen to dig maple. Is it just me? Thanks.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: 2015 X Braced 614ce vs V Class?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:19:48 PM »
No, I think many folks have expressed similar opinions after sampling V-Class guitars.  In fact, there's another active thread on this exact topic.

My personal take on the whole matter has settled into the realization (once again) that no one thing can do everything well.  Sports cars are fast, fun to drive, and corner on a dime, but can't carry a lot of cargo or passengers; SUV's are big, lumbering beasts that won't win any races, but will comfortably get you -- and your entire family with all of their luggage -- to that race and back...  Same with airplanes (fighters vs. transports)...

Ultimately, tone is in the ear of the beholder.  I've typically found myself preferring X-braced Taylors, all other things being equal; but in fairness, there have been a few V-Class guitars I've sampled that made me seriously think about buying them -- and had my finances at the time been different, I very well may have...  Let your ears -- not someone else's marketing blitz -- be your guide.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Rev Roy

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:54:52 PM »
I prefer the X-bracing to V-bracing in all models I’ve played except the Grand Pacifics. No surprise given that the GPs were the only model designed around V-bracing.
Collings D1A Traditional
Bourgeois Generation D

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:58:33 PM »
I bought a 614 V class after trying a 614ce V class out at my FLGS. I had never played a redesigned 614 with X bracing, but I love this current model.  You may prefer X bracing to V bracing, but also keep in mind that a 3 or 4-year-old guitar that has been played in may indeed sound better to the ear than a brand new one.  And no one has been able to validate the accuracy of their "hearing memory" as far as I know. So glad that you love your 614. I love my older X braced Taylors as well. I've got a new 714 V class on order, and I'm excited to hear how this bracing will affect rosewood's tone.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:47:56 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

29er

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 10:31:46 PM »
I bought a 614 V class after trying a 614ce V class out at my FLGS. I had never played a redesigned 614 with X bracing, but I love this current model.  You may prefer X bracing to V bracing, but also keep in mind that a 3 or 4-year-old guitar that has been played in may indeed sound better to the ear than a brand new one.  And no one has been able to validate the accuracy of their "hearing memory" as far as I know. So glad that you love your 614. I love my older X braced Taylors as well. I've got a new 714 V class on order, and I'm excited to hear how this bracing will affect rosewood's tone.

Cheers!

I agree. My 2015 has been played in. But I played 3 others in 3 different shops before I pulled the trigger and they all had the low end that I'd not ever heard in a Taylor prior to that. What I was hoping for was to get a Builders Edition simply because I loved all the features the BE offered. But if the tone isn't what you're after then all those things just don't make up for that.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:36:40 PM »

Cheers!

I agree. My 2015 has been played in. But I played 3 others in 3 different shops before I pulled the trigger and they all had the low end that I'd not ever heard in a Taylor prior to that. What I was hoping for was to get a Builders Edition simply because I loved all the features the BE offered. But if the tone isn't what you're after then all those things just don't make up for that.

Very true. I played a BE before I tried that 614ce and the tone was extremely disappointing.  So we like what we like, right?
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

tbeltrans

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 02:19:19 PM »
Having said this somewhere else (I can't remember where now), we do like different things, and a guitar is a very individual thing.  Many people like a big bass, where I prefer a real balance.  I hear balance, rather than lack of bass in my K14ce BE.  A good example is when I was involved in stereo equipment as a hobby back in the 70s and early 80s.  I lost interest when home theater became popular.

Most people I know seem to prefer a big, slamming bass in their music.  Jukeboxes were great for that too.  BOOM!  BOOM! .

My stereo system was very different than the norm in that I had a pair of DCM Time Window speakers.  These were very balanced and, to most of my friends, lacked that all important BOOM.  For me, they were perfect because I like to listen to solo acoustic guitar, solo piano, or at most, small jazz or classical groups where drums are played with brushes (if at all)  and not the wrong end of a solid drumstick.  Few people like to listen to a stereo at lower volumes with the tone controls in the neutral position.  That is why older stereos had a loudness control (read about Fletcher-Munson curves and the nature of human hearing).

I have a Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition.  It has that V-bracing, but I don't really care one way or another.  What I like is that every note is clear and distinct.  For playing chords with a lot of color tones (9,13, b5, #11, etc.) it stays clear so we can hear all of that moving harmony.  That big bottom is exactly what I don't want.  I can certainly see where that big bottom would be desirable for many other styles of music though.

To me, it seems logical that no single type of bracing is ideal for all combinations of tone woods, so it is entirely possible that this V-bracing might be great on some guitars and not on others.

I own two 2019 K14ce BE guitars.  The second one I got as part of a trade.  I could have had the K24ce BE, but I just don't seem to take well to hardwood tops for some reason, so I played it safe and took the K14ce BE.  So now I keep one in standard tuning and the other in various open tunings.  Of all the Taylors I have played and/or owned over the years, this particular model is my favorite.  I just don't seem to run with the crowd. :)

Tony

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 10:28:46 AM »
I just don't seem to run with the crowd. :)

Tony

Great post Tony!  We all like what we like, and I think that’s what makes life interesting.  I’m with you in that I prefer balance in my tone versus overwhelming bass.  But unlike you I eventually found that hardwood tops suit me better as I don’t like any sparkly overtones in my sound.  And my 2 flagship guitars are very closely related in my 324ce BE and my 322ce 12-fret.  Different strokes for different folks