Author Topic: How do I get rid of this 1khz resonant frequency on my 414CE?  (Read 393 times)

gt12312411

When recording acoustic with it, there is a resonant frequency which almost sounds like a whistle, at 1000hz. There is also another "vibrating" frequency at around 2k.

I provided an audio recording with 3 parts

1 - without any EQ

2- with a notch filter at 1000 hz

3- turning notch filter EQ on/off to really notice the difference

I know this may sound minor but within a fully mixed song and with additional effects that whistling noise actually is quite noticeable.

Is this a defect with the guitar? You can still hear it with different mics, in different rooms etc.

Audio file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Agu5u3MQVMN4jOYQugnAwUC2CRPirw?e=TSYYoc

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: How do I get rid of this 1khz resonant frequency on my 414CE?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 10:50:26 AM »
My apologies as my laptop can't seem to open your file.  But are you talking about recording from the ES, and if so which ES system?  Or are you recording mic'd?

Edward

gt12312411

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »
Hey no I am recording with a microphone. I actually am going with the conclusion that its just how the guitar sounds. I listened to other demos of the same guitar on youtube and heard the exact same resonances. This guitar sounds very nice and airy, but within the song I am mixing, I need something a bit more tame. I'm able to achieve better results with correctional EQ - but I would prefer another guitar in this case. Something that just produces the chord with less resonances and sits back in the mix, I have a Blue Ridge and a cheap Yamaha which may actually do the trick here.

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 05:25:50 PM »
Wow, I wish I had your hearing . . .

I hear what I can only describe as a bit of a faint high frequency sizzle, which I attribute to simply what the guitar sounds like. My hearing isn't acute enough for it to bother me but I have about a 30% loss there.

Pic on left is pre-adjustment. I definitely see your 1000 hz spike and you did reduce it nicely, but along with several other spikes - but that could be that one strum.

There's always a possibility that you have a slightly high buzzy fret. Is it an open chord or are you up on the neck with a capo? It's possible you might ameliorate the sizzle with your fretting technique - either a softer press or shift your finger closer to the fret wire,  but it may well be that being a Taylor, you have brightness. . .

@Edward - on my Mac I was able to control-click the icon and it downloaded, I imagine a PC would have a similar technique . . .
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover