Author Topic: I have to apologize for my absence as of late...  (Read 1942 times)

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
I have to apologize for my absence as of late...
« on: March 18, 2020, 06:04:52 PM »
My job was getting miserable after they changed management. Long story short, I had to resign 3 weeks ago, but thankfully I was given a severance package and great referrals etc.

Needless to say, my hunt for a new job has been non-stop and it definitely doesn't help with all the Coronavirus stuff going on.  I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers.  Starting to get a smidgen stressful.
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: I have to apologize for my absence as of late...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 06:42:10 PM »
Our prayers are with you, Josh. Hang in there!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:41:52 PM »

While you're at it, pray for unemployed flight test engineers too...  Two years and counting... :-[
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 08:23:04 PM »
I hope we ALL pray for the world at large for there are so many out there in trouble today. (See my post in the COV 19 thread.)
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 08:55:14 PM »
My job was getting miserable after they changed management.

Hey Josh,

Like a lot of people, myself included, that is a big reason to leave. I did it twice. My job history includes 3 positions that I held for many years. That is the exact reason I left the first one after 25 years. Also the reason I left the last one, retiring 5 years ago. And the middle one ended due to managerial malfeasance which led to two corporate buyouts and ultimately getting laid off. Which is almost the same thing.

So use whatever networks you have to let people know you are looking. They don't have to be professional networks either. I don't know what your profession is, but of the three major jobs I have held, none of them had anything to do with either of the others. That is, I changed careers twice. The first change was my choice of new career (went back to school in mid-life for a new degree and a new skill, computer science), and the second change was literally a target of opportunity, again in another field, seeing an opening and putting myself forward through the graces of a gentleman I knew casually, not professionally.

I am officially semi-retired now.

So keep looking and don't limit yourself to looking under the same old similar skyline when you may be able to expand your search to new horizons.

Good luck,
Don

PS> Josh, no need to apologize. Life is a series of challenges, and prioritizing is one of them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:11:30 PM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »

While you're at it, pray for unemployed flight test engineers too...  Two years and counting... :-[

Tim,

I wish you luck in your search also. You might be able to profit by expanding your search too. Strangely enough, it's sometimes easier to be hired if you are currently employed, and not necessarily in the same field. I don't know why this is. Personally I hired people who had potential and character, and I didn't care if they held jobs at the time. My guideline was don't let/get HR too deeply involved.

Don
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:52 PM »

Tim,

I wish you luck in your search also. You might be able to profit by expanding your search too. Strangely enough, it's sometimes easier to be hired if you are currently employed, and not necessarily in the same field. I don't know why this is. Personally I hired people who had potential and character, and I didn't care if they held jobs at the time. My guideline was don't let/get HR too deeply involved.

Don

Thanks, Don.  Problem is I don't know what else I'd do.  Testing aircraft is my calling...
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

donlyn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 09:29:16 PM »

Tim,

Don

Thanks, Don.  Problem is I don't know what else I'd do.  Testing aircraft is my calling...

Hey Tim,

Hmmmm. Think Boeing might be in the market for a few good men? They got some big boots to fix.

Don
* The Heard:

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 10:15:12 PM »

Tim,

Don

Hey Tim,

Hmmmm. Think Boeing might be in the market for a few good men? They got some big boots to fix.

Don

A year ago I applied for a FTE position they offered right here in San Antonio; they talked to me over the phone, made it sound like I would be a leading candidate (I had general experience as well as experience on the aircraft type -- plus they wouldn't have to relocate me).  But they just strung me along for nine months, then finally admitted (after several inquiries on my part) that they'd offered the position to someone else...

With all the trouble they were in with the 737 Max, you'd have thought they could have used some flight test help there too; they were basically being required to re-certifiy the aircraft.  But no such luck...

My best prospect at the moment is Gulfstream in Savanah, GA; they're apparently gearing up for the G700 certification.  My name's in the pot; but I've been waiting for two months to hear something from them.  Checked in a month ago and they said they were still reviewing the candidates.  Then all of this coronavirus stuff hit, so who knows how that will affect the hiring in any industry across the country...?

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 11:31:05 PM »
Good luck to both of you.  I hope you land a big one.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 05:37:50 AM »
Josh, I'm sorry to hear that. As CPA's we worked at a great office for all of our careers. Then one particular upper manager was moved in, who changed things. We got through it, but morale dropped. We were in a position to retire, which I know is different from you. But hang in there. Like my grandma used to say, everything happens for a reason, though we may not see it at the time. I will pray that you find a good option soon.

As for Tim and all the others affected by COVID 19 (job-wise), we are praying for you too. We are trying best to support our local community, but this is going to hurt so many. The good thing is forums like this where we can vent and find support and escape for a little bit, to get away from it all.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 08:43:44 AM »
Josh, I'm sorry to hear that. As CPA's we worked at a great office for all of our careers. Then one particular upper manager was moved in, who changed things. We got through it, but morale dropped...

It seems like this is a common occurrence in every field nowadays; new managers come in and feel the need to disrupt the status quo -- even one that was working fine -- in order to justify their appointment to the managerial position.  I call it the "dog-pack mentality:"  everyone feels compelled to pi$$ on the tree just to leave their mark...

In past jobs, I found myself in a situation where a colleague of sorts (someone at my level within the company, but working in a different-but-related engineering area) was moved into the position as my immediate supervisor.  He was moved into this position (and I'm not exaggerating this) solely based on his good-ol'-boy relationship with the new flight test department head; so, in essence, we got a double-whammy of management changes...

The man who was promoted into the supervisory role of the FTE's (flight test engineers) literally had no previous experience in flight testing -- he'd never apprenticed under a more senior flight test engineer nor logged even one second aboard a test aircraft; he couldn't even meet the requirements that were being imposed on all of the FTE's about pilot ratings because he couldn't qualify for even a student certificate due to medical issues...  Frankly, I wondered if he could even spell "FTE" correctly...  But now he was my boss, and felt compelled to make that fact plain.  His method of doing so did not sit well with the FTE staff, myself in particular (and again, I'm absolutely not exaggerating this):  he would receive assignments from the department head, many of which were probably intended for his personal attention in an effort to bring him up to speed on flight testing practices and methods; once the department head was safely out of the picture, he would then 'delegate' these work assignments to me and the other FTE's -- then go sit at his desk and play computer games.  When the work assignment was completed, he expected us to turn the finished work over to him, which he could then present to the department head.  Needless to say, he and I immediately began to lock horns; which -- after I'd successfully challenged him over a number of other confrontational issues -- all came to a head when he suggested that I sequence a series of build-up tests in an unsafe order so we could save a little time in the schedule (he loved to create elaborate schedules -- which was about the only thing he knew how to do on his own -- almost none of which have any real meaning in the world of flight testing, where one has to adapt to unpredictable things like weather, unscheduled maintenance on the aircraft, etc.).  I refused -- rather correctly, emphatically, and publicly -- which, of course, made his lack of qualifications for the job position all the more glaring to everyone.  But having him claim credit for my paperwork was one thing; and having him roll the dice with my life just to make his scheduling fantasies come true was another matter entirely... You can probably guess where it all wound up...

... As for Tim and all the others affected by COVID 19 (job-wise), we are praying for you too. We are trying best to support our local community, but this is going to hurt so many. The good thing is forums like this where we can vent and find support and escape for a little bit, to get away from it all.

Thanks, Susie.  I'm trying to keep my gaze forward and stay productive.  But for the past seven or so years it has just seemed that I've been getting steamrolled by life...  I've lost my parents, my godparents, and my job.  I had to mount a legal battle with a non-family-member over my uncle's estate, which also consumed financial resources during my period of unemployment -- needlessly, I might add, since the ultimate resolution was exactly what I said it should be before I had to engage the lawyers...  And living nomadically on my own, so far from family, I've largely had to endure all of these setbacks without any real emotional support -- which certainly has not helped in keeping my hair from turning progressively more gray...  Frankly, it's become pretty tough to find the silver lining in it all...

So in the coming days, if you guys see my Taylor collection starting to dwindle, you'll probably know why...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 11:09:49 AM »
Josh and Tim, I will be praying for you both.  :) Tough times for sure.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

SoCalSurf

• Veteran Member
  • Don't have what you want; want what you have.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »
Best of luck, Josh. I wish there was something I could do to help. I am happy to take you out for a therapeutic surf session...
Taylor: GS Mini (koa), 517e, K24ce
Gibson: Hummingbird, SJ-200, SJ-200 12-string, SJ-200 parlor, Woody Guthrie J45 Southern Jumbo
Martin: 0000 Custom Ziricote
Preston Thompson O-Koa

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 04:13:58 PM »
Best of luck, Josh. I wish there was something I could do to help. I am happy to take you out for a therapeutic surf session...

Ahhh surf, sand and sun!  Sounds wonderful haha!  Thanks everyone!  I'm still looking for work and this Covid-19 hasn't made it easier...lol
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard