Author Topic: Hello From North Carolina  (Read 615 times)

Marty C

Hello From North Carolina
« on: January 16, 2020, 05:51:18 AM »
Hi Forum members.   I am new here.  Always been a Martin guy and just purchased my first Taylor.  Purchased a 814ce dlx v brace.   Very nice guitar, which was more expensive than any guitar I have ever purchased.   Beautiful sound and look.

Over Christmas, I read Bob Taylor’s book.  As a hobby woodworker, guitar player and business man, it touch three passions of mine and made me want to buy a Taylor.   Great respect for his diligence in starting his company. 

I just have an issue with a squeaky G string.  Pick and finger noise are higher than the rest.  I think it had PB lights in the store and they were changed to PB mediums.   I will change to 80/20 lights and see how that works.

Anyone have a string suggestion before I open the pack?  I play mostly with a pick and sometimes, non-fingernail fingerpick.  Strumming about 50%.  Play mostly plugged in at church (mainly traditional churches so older hymns) but occasionally sit in with more modern services. 

Any input is appreciated. 

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hello From North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 08:45:10 AM »
Welcome Marty, and congratulations on your new 814ce dlx....a great choice. You will find many of us here also hold Bob, Kurt, and Andy in high regard.

Regarding strings, I think changing them back to lights might be a help, but let me suggest something else, since I'm a 100% fingerpicker (with finger picks). I use Elixir HD lights on all my GA's, to get the slightly heavier string gauges on the melody strings. Just a thought, as strings are such a personal preference. I'm sure you will get a bunch more/different suggestions from others.

Glad you joined us here, enjoy your stay.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!