Author Topic: Slide Advice?  (Read 1109 times)

GeorgiaMike

Slide Advice?
« on: July 22, 2016, 04:54:58 AM »
Really want to try some open-tuned slide on my 114e. Last time I played slide, I used the classic Duane Allman Coricidan bottle, but they're not glass anymore! There are a ton of choices of material, weight, etc. out there. Wondering if anybody has a good experience with a particular type for these Taylors?

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
Re: Slide Advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:47:52 AM »
I brought a friend a 'Derek Trucks Signature' slide back from New York and he seems to like it.
It's not glass but it's a heavy plastic.

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

tedtan

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
I tend to like brass slides on acoustic guitars and glass slides on electric guitars, but this really is a matter of personal preference. Take your guitar to the shop and try out a few different materials (and sizes) to see what works best for you if at all possible.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:11:28 PM »
I am learning slide (slow a comin and not play-ready yet by a long shot!), albeit in standard tuning. But as I'm learning and experimenting with various techniques, I'm finding that it all really comes to personal taste. Glass sounds markedly different from brass, and brass from chrome.  And even within the same material, the weight, too, affects the timbre you get.  It may sound like a cop out to say it, but truly, the right slide material is the one you like. Fwiw, I arrived at brass.  Then the tough part: how the heck can I make this sound musical ;)

Edward

GeorgiaMike

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
Finally settled on a Dunlop glass 210 Medium. Fits my pinky and ring finger comfortably, and heavy enough to give good, smooth tone. Thanks for the advice, guys!