Author Topic: 2014 812ce 12 Fret 1st Edition!  (Read 16579 times)

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: 2014 812ce 12 Fret 1st Edition!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 07:57:51 AM »
I own 3 12-fret guitars-- by Martin, Taylor, and Froggy Bottom. The Taylor is the least loud, but has the ES (with no controls for esthetic reasons).  Froggy is loud strummed with the bare thumb.  It is ridiculous with a pick. 
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »
Here are some better pics of this 2014 812ce 12 Fret FE....

I think using the smokey ebony on the fingerboard was a brilliant move on Bob's part.
He said in W&S that these pieces of ebony were being thrown aside unused in favor of the black colored pieces.
This gives each guitar a unique identity and sets them apart from their brethren!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:44:02 PM by MB »

Gary-N-LA

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »
This is a gorgeous guitar!  Good pictures!  Congratulations!!
2014 Santa Cruz 1929-00 - All Mahogany
2013 Taylor Custom GA - Cedar/Maple
2013 Martin Custom 00-21 - Sitka/EIR
2012 Cordoba C7 Classical - Cedar/EIR Lam.
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
I have an update on this guitar that I would like to hear your opinions on.
I hadn't noticed it as I didn't play up the neck much until the other night,  but I discovered that there were a few dead spots up the neck above the 7th fret. So I took it in to the authorized Taylor repair guy and left it with him for a few days for him to do a set up.

I picked it up this morning and asked how it went. He said he thinks it will be fine but there were a few surprises on this guitar.
I asked "like what?" He showed me how he puts a straight edge on the frets, 3 at a time and rocks it back and forth. All frets were even until he got to frets 7-8-9. They were uneven here and then again in 2 other places up the neck from there. He says that it could be that because the guitar went from the humidity controlled environment at Taylor, to mid America (Sweetwater) and then from there to northern Minnesota where it's been -30 with no humidity.

I asked if we needed to fix this. He says he set it up and it plays a lot better than it did when I brought it in. If I am happy with the way it plays, then it's all good. BUT if I wanted the action any lower (which I don't) then he would have to do a fret leveling procedure. I then played the guitar and the dead spots were gone and the guitar played a lot better. It was not as stiff as it was when I brought it in. In fact, if he had not told me about the problem, I would likely never have known.

So my questions are:
1. Is this acceptable on a guitar at this price point?
2. Should I just keep it? OR return it for another since I'm still within the 30 day honeymoon?

It will be curious to hear from you guys on this. I have not decided what to do for sure yet but I'm leaning towards just keeping it.
Acoustic instruments regardless of MFR have inherent issues, but on the other hand, I have guitars that do not have this problem!

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 02:51:01 PM »
You are covered by warranty so if it plays well (the way you play it) I wouldn't worry. It might be prudent to let Taylor know what was done and what the rep said so the problem is documented.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 05:54:12 PM »
You are covered by warranty so if it plays well (the way you play it) I wouldn't worry. It might be prudent to let Taylor know what was done and what the rep said so the problem is documented.

Good advice...thank you CigarFan!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »
No no no ...is my gentle advice :)
Keep the guitar if it sounds good and now plays right!  While Taylor's QC is, IMHO, superb and second to none, there are still those little bugaboos that can pop up.  Now that your guitar's shortcoming is remedied, to exchange it for another is rolling the dice; you've got your bird in your hand, why risk it for another in a bush?

BTW, that's a great looking fretboard.  As there has been much typed as of late about this or that ebony figuring, what you have looks beautiful, IMHO.  Every wood's figuring must be judged on its own merits, and I'd say you got a great one (another reason no to trade ;) ).  Congrats!

Edward

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
That particular piece of fretboard ebony is particularly appealing.

You should have Taylor remedy YOUR guitar, not exchange it.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »
Thank you Edward. I needed to hear that with just the passion you delivered it with!
I've been playing it all evening and you are so right. Thank you!

And Jersey, are you saying Taylor would fix it? I guess I've never had to deal with any warranty issues with them.
Would this be a warranty item then?

BTW the set up was done with light strings and not the HD strings....because...you can't get the HD strings yet!

Gary-N-LA

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 01:22:05 AM »
Got to agree: If the problem's gone and you're loving the guitar, embrace it and treat this like the bumps and rough spots at the beginning of a long, happy relationship.  ;D
2014 Santa Cruz 1929-00 - All Mahogany
2013 Taylor Custom GA - Cedar/Maple
2013 Martin Custom 00-21 - Sitka/EIR
2012 Cordoba C7 Classical - Cedar/EIR Lam.
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 07:45:01 AM »
I would agree with Edward and others: keep it now that it plays well and feels fine. Your fret board might be a good lot from the lottery. I would certainly signal Taylor the defect which was found by an authorized Taylor repair guy, so that, if it would hinder you in the near future, you could claim reparation. I don't know US laws and practice but it would be nice if they can give you some recognition in writing. With my 812 which I bought only 6 months ago I envy you (a little).
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

MR XXXXX

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
I live in the Northern PA area right now, and I can tell you the humidity thing is awful on guitars.  I have a couple Taylors, a Martin, and a Collings, that last year were left out for too long in a non humidified room during the winter, and each had tops that sunk down a bit and played different/worse when I got home.  (While on assignment, my son played the guitars and didn't put back in cases with humidifiers... could have killed the boy  :))

Now that it plays well, I would be happy as a clam! 

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
You're most welcome MB!

It is also possible that your guitar suffered from a bit of both: passed QC at the factory but just barely on those particular frets, then when the humidity drops those frets at marginal spec now are just high enough to cause your dead spots.  The fact you're with an authorized tech definitely suggests you have a warranty claim that Taylor will pick up.  Call CS and see what they say.   I've had to deal with only two warranty issues with them and both times they went above and beyond :D

Edward

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »
Thank YOU Edward!
Good advice. I did pay for the set up during which time the problem was discovered.
I'm not concerned with them paying a petty set up fee...I'm more concerned that it be noted so i I have some future issue that is related, I have some support. I have complete confidence that they would do so.

Well, I'm off to see The Band Perry tonight! Of course, it's -14 with a strong wind to welcome them.

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

Well....it's over. I just sent the guitar back to Sweetwater.
I tried. I tried very hard for 3 weeks to love this guitar.
It just wasn't in the cards. The SW rep called the fret problem "a defect".
Offered to do the Plek free of charge. But I know in my heart that would not have changed the way I feel about the guitar.
I guess 12 frets just aren't my cup of tea.
Thanks for taking the journey with me! Sorry it ended on such a sad note, but I couldn't feel better!
The pressure is gone...along with the payments! I still have 2 beautiful Taylor's that I absolutely love.
Lesson learned...again.