Author Topic: 316ce vs 416ce  (Read 3665 times)

tammuz7000

316ce vs 416ce
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:45:28 AM »
I am looking to buy my first Taylor. I am a Martin dred guy and like how the Taylors play and sound plugged in. I have played them all and like the x16 size. So on the 316ce vs the 416ce or 416ce ltd. I like how the 416ce ltd sounds and not sure on how the projection will be on the cedar rosewood.  How does that one with the Granadillo, sound? I have played several but not that one. I mostly prefer rosewood but dont want a very bright Taylor so was thinking Mohogany is the way to go. There are so many choices.   

Any thoughts on the x16 series and where to start with my first taylor. I also liked the 310ce and the 410 ce.. 

_tom
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:48:28 AM by tammuz7000 »
-Tom

HD28
D15
D18CW
Larrivee D05 12 String
Ovation Legend

deepermagic

Re: 316ce vs 416ce
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:04:55 PM »
I love the x16 body style.

I can't speak for your ears, but I went back and forth between the 316ce and 416ce last year. I can't give any advice regarding the 416ceLTD since I've never heard/played it. For me I played a lot of x16s but it came down to the 416 and 316. In the end I chose the 316ce with great confidence. I explain it a bit more in this thread here

tammuz7000

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 04:38:30 PM »
Thank you very much and excellent post about your 316. I went to the 314 which was nice andIi tried a 310 which was very nice as well. I thought I wanted a smaller guitar but the 316 size fits adn wont get drowned out if i play with others. That size seems to work best for me unless i move to a dred. I have dreds so want something smaller but not too small so I am still debating if i want a 310. My friend bought the 416LTD with the cedar/rosewood so that's gone. It had a very nice shimmer to it and really stood out. He had a hard time deciding on the 416ltd or the 310ce. 

Thanks for the great advice and I really like the look of yours.
-Tom

HD28
D15
D18CW
Larrivee D05 12 String
Ovation Legend

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 05:07:44 PM »
Technically I don't think that the GS shape (316 or 416) is "smaller" than a dreadnought, and if so only by a hair.  The more pronounced waist will let it sit lower on your leg, so therefore yields a different feel when holding it.  I used to play a Martin J-40, which is a jumbo body with a similar shape and size.  Compared to my GS, the feel is pretty similar.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:31:34 PM »
Technically I don't think that the GS shape (316 or 416) is "smaller" than a dreadnought, and if so only by a hair.  The more pronounced waist will let it sit lower on your leg, so therefore yields a different feel when holding it....

Just to offer a technical point:
Taylor had published the total square inches of the soundboard in their past website.  Yes, the GS is a few sq.inches smaller than their dred.  But, that does not make the tone "smaller" as there are far too many factors of woods, top-b/s combinations, bracing, body shape, and varying build parameters that, in sum, make the GS and DN markedly different-sounding guitars.  So no, I would not pick a guitar based on shape and size alone.  But yes, the GS' narrower waist gives it a completely different feel playing seated compared to the DN's wider waist.

Edward

deepermagic

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:25:35 PM »
Technically I don't think that the GS shape (316 or 416) is "smaller" than a dreadnought, and if so only by a hair.  The more pronounced waist will let it sit lower on your leg, so therefore yields a different feel when holding it....

Just to offer a technical point:
Taylor had published the total square inches of the soundboard in their past website.  Yes, the GS is a few sq.inches smaller than their dred.  But, that does not make the tone "smaller" as there are far too many factors of woods, top-b/s combinations, bracing, body shape, and varying build parameters that, in sum, make the GS and DN markedly different-sounding guitars.  So no, I would not pick a guitar based on shape and size alone.  But yes, the GS' narrower waist gives it a completely different feel playing seated compared to the DN's wider waist.

Edward

I almost always perform standing but practice sitting (why? who knows) whether it's my dred or my GS and I never really noticed any difference between the two. In fact I don't think I've thought about it until now. I'll agree though that my GS has a much fuller/warmer sound than my dred.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
Yeah, that's why I mentioned sitting specifically. 

When I play, 96.837% of the time it's standing, so body shape (within reason) is largely irrelevant for me.  But most who play acoustic do sit, and the wider waist of the DN makes it sit higher up on your lap.  The slightly larger GS body actually sits lower (and more comfortable, IMHO) when seated since the narrower waist lowers the guitar.

As far as fuller and warmer, well that's wholly dependent on the woods used and build specs :)

Edward