Author Topic: Taylor Amps  (Read 4977 times)

Drock2k1

Taylor Amps
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »
Does anyone know if Taylor will begin selling amps outside of the BR line?

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
Re: Taylor Amps
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:29:04 PM »
The intent has always been there, but I think the jury is still out. At one point, it was a done deal, and then everything fell apart.

Taylor doesn't want to build the amps offshore, but building them here in the States isn't the most cost-effective way to go when you consider what's already on the market.

They sound great, though...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »
The intent has always been there, but I think the jury is still out. At one point, it was a done deal, and then everything fell apart.

Taylor doesn't want to build the amps offshore, but building them here in the States isn't the most cost-effective way to go when you consider what's already on the market.

They sound great, though...

I Doubt that I would buy a amp made for Taylor but not by them.  With a loyal owner base I would bet they would sell a bunch of them, even if they cost a little more, and made here in the USA.  Especially if they would make them with matching cabinets. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
I Doubt that I would buy a amp made for Taylor but not by them. 

Huh?

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 04:41:12 PM »

Huh?
When you have a company that makes the amp for Taylor and then slaps a Taylor badge on it.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »

Huh?
When you have a company that makes the amp for Taylor and then slaps a Taylor badge on it.

Oh, okay.

I don't know that Taylor would actually be building the amplifiers. At one point, I know there was discussion about a company in Kentucky making them, but that fell through...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »

Huh?

Oh, okay.

I don't know that Taylor would actually be building the amplifiers. At one point, I know there was discussion about a company in Kentucky making them, but that fell through...

So who is building the builder Reserve amps for them now?

Drock2k1

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 05:32:49 PM »
I believe that Taylor is building the BR's but since it's such limited quantities, the markup recoups the cost.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »
I wonder if Taylor ever considered having Carvin build their amplifiers. Taylor could make the cabinets and Carvin could assemble and install the electronic components or Carvin could also make the cabinets. An added advantage is that Carvin is located in San Diego and, of course, Carvin's are made in USA.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
In reading through the Builders' Reserve regarding the amp that is part of the set, it says, "Just one knob, for volume."  Interesting premise, but I wonder if those Reserve sets are being bought up by collectors who want them as "musical art" or simply to have something very unique?  Even with something matched for the ES system, I think I'd like to have something more than just a volume knob on any amp.  Of course, every guitar/amp I've owned has had to earn its keep at some point.  ;)  I'm probably not going to win the lottery (apparently you have to buy a ticket?) and I have no wealthy relatives... guitar/amp "collecting" isn't going to happen any time soon for me.

Taylor amps?  An interesting idea to add to their product line... but, what could they bring to the table that would suit the widely varied audience for Taylor guitars?  Hmmmmm?
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »

Huh?

Oh, okay.

So who is building the builder Reserve amps for them now?

Not sure, although I believe they're being built in-house.

For a production level amplifier, though, I don't think they could do it economically...

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
the fender blues jr has been MIM for about the last 9 years, so perhaps
if they go 'main-stream', maybe the amp cabinets could  be made in tecate
(with a more conventional tolex covering) & the electronics done in el cajon ???
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Drock2k1

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 10:52:58 PM »
If these builders reserves are selling like crazy I assume that the amps are pretty good. I haven't heard them though.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 11:05:17 AM »
If these builders reserves are selling like crazy I assume that the amps are pretty good. I haven't heard them though.

No, they're selling because they're ridiculously limited.

Honestly, it wouldn't matter what they sound like. Every Sales Rep has his "go to" dealers to sell them to, and those dealers, far more often than not, have clients they know to call when they get something special.

In this case, though, the amps do sound pretty good...

Giraku

• I play exclusively fingerstyle.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »
Yes, they DO sound good.
I was skeptical about having only one knob (volume).
But it works beautifully with ES system. Tweaking EQ can be done quickly and efficiently on the guitar.
I tried with different effectors (mainly reverb and delay) but in the end I decided to go straight to the ES amp without any effects.
The amp reproduces complex overtones nicely. It sounds so transparent.

Now, after experiencing all these, I believe that many people would buy the production version of the ES amps even with a premium price.
‘18 Taylor K14ce Builder’s Edition (Koa / Torrefied Sitka Spruce)
'16 Taylor 514ce LTD (Granadillo / Cedar)
'16 Taylor K22e LTD (All Koa)
'15 Martin D41 Purple Martin #29 of 50 (Cocobolo / Adirondack Spruce)
Sound Clips are here.