Author Topic: 2017 fall limiteds...drool worthy  (Read 3406 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: 2017 fall limiteds...drool worthy
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 07:19:50 AM »
I won't speak for jr, but it has been my past experience with inquiries about limiteds that this is almost always the case. In this latest instance, Taylor reaffirmed that policy. I suppose that it's one of the ways that enable Taylor to offer limiteds at an attractive price. I just figured that I would ask again to see if there had been a policy change.  Doesn't hurt to ask...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales

• Veteran Member
    • LA Guitar Sales
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »
I won't speak for jr, but it has been my past experience with inquiries about limiteds that this is almost always the case. In this latest instance, Taylor reaffirmed that policy. I suppose that it's one of the ways that enable Taylor to offer limiteds at an attractive price. I just figured that I would ask again to see if there had been a policy change.  Doesn't hurt to ask...

This s correct. Obviously it never hurts to ask, but as a rule, limiteds cannot be modified.

DDG

• Taylor Dealer & Tech (Gracewinds)
    • Dream Deal Guitars
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 12:45:41 AM »
I've got it from Andy that the APB is specific to both the wood and the model, so it can't just be tossed onto any other wood or shape.  Cocobolo is a rosewood, but the sound of it is very different than the EIRW that the 814ce's APB was it made for, which may explain it.  Andy is very speciific about which models and materials the APB can be used with.

As to the lesser number of LTD offerings, there are two aspects.  One is that some were getting tired of there being so MANY "limiteds" and the other is that the 314ce LTD from spring 2017 isn't getting anywhere near the attention it deserves, and the other is that the GA 12th fret is a HUGE thing!  See my other post in the dealer's section for more info on that.

Interesting to see that the 914 only has Performance bracing as opposed to Advanced Performance bracing.

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of offerings, but I guess Taylor has been trying to avoid having limiteds compete with their standard line for a few years now.
Taylor Guitar Dealer, contact me privately for special forum pricing.

Engelmann

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 02:47:34 AM »
I've got it from Andy that the APB is specific to both the wood and the model, so it can't just be tossed onto any other wood or shape.  Cocobolo is a rosewood, but the sound of it is very different than the EIRW that the 814ce's APB was it made for, which may explain it.  Andy is very speciific about which models and materials the APB can be used with.

If that's the case, it's interesting that Performance Bracing is used on the 700 series' Rosewood model and Advanced Performance Bracing on the 800 series' Rosewood models.

I wouldn't be surprised to see in several years Advanced Performance Bracing being an optional upgrade for other tonewoods, just as how various limited models with tonewoods where CV bracing was previously not available on now have CV bracing.

DDG

• Dream Deal Guitars
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
You have to understand that the advanced performance racing was used on (Guitars) we should been completely revoiced.  The 700s were revamped but not revoiced.  APB also went into the 2014 limited sassafras 714ce, and is now in the 914's.   But that requires an entire new build or revamping. That bracing is so specific that you can't just stick it in anywhere. It works in conjunction in specific ways. Did you notice that the 814 has the bracing going wall-to-wall while the 614 has it stopping half an inch before the sides?  This is a classic example of the distinctions. Rosewood needs the bracing to go all the way across and touch the sides and join with it. Maple does not and so it was possible to float the back. Trust that if it was possible for them to make a better guitar by just looking advance performance bracing in everything, Taylor would do so.   This is where the art comes in.   Guitars are not formula alone. If they were a computer could make Ataris better than we ever imagined, but it's just not so.
Hope this helps!

DDG

• Dream Deal Guitars
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »
 He is correct. Limited's are done exactly as described. The only differences left-hand or right-hand. There are several reasons for this but higher among them is that they are usually a package bargain, giving you more than you're paying for if it had been ordered as a custom.  That is only possible because they can do that all of them in a batch exactly the same. If they have to stop and interrupt production to do something different then all bets would be off. So the limited's are as they are.   That said if you wanted something very similar I can always work with you to do a custom that is exactly what you want.