Author Topic: something very special is on the way!!! UPDATE: NGD!!! sinker/eir custom GA  (Read 8751 times)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
thx evwryone! I've been itching for a sinker for sometime now. interestingly enough, this particular combo is brighter and louder than my 2011 cedar 914ce.

I'm def a cedar fan.

I'm wondering if the Tusq saddle is adding more sparkle, I played a sinker/eir a couple years ago and I remember (and re-read my post on UTGF lol) that guitar being darker.

the other factor could be that my 914 opened up.

so far, my sinker seems much more responsive, I notice more range, but I also notice less bottom end. with my 914, I can feel the bass in my chest as I play, with my new sinker, it's there but not as strong. the sinker volume is very controllable, it responds to a light touch but can be driven extremely hard and it doesn't hit a volume limit.

my 914 seems to have less range volume wise, there is definetly a "ceiling" it hits when playing hard. the 914 sustain seems to be better (has bone saddle)

if I had to describe my sinker/eir, it's like a 414ce with extra shimmer and bottom end.

I'm so glad that I didn't sell my 914. it has a different sound than my new sinker, but all my Taylor's (414,914 and sinker) have their own sound.

so looking back, I found a thread where strumming fool wanted a cedar/eir GA, and I wanted a sinker/eir GA with simple appointments. 2 years later, we both got what we wanted. how funny!!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Congrats on a great find and thanks for the review. More pics please, when busy family life allows(I know that feeling).
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

krugjr

• Veteran Member
zeebow.....sorry if I missed it earlier, is the Sinker new/unplayed? or used and "broken in"?  and does your 914 have CV bracing? I'm trying to land on a reason for more bottom coming out of the 914, something other than the cedar vs redwood.....congrats, man, I feel your JOY!
Music.....the Universal Language!

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
zeebow.....sorry if I missed it earlier, is the Sinker new/unplayed? or used and "broken in"?  and does your 914 have CV bracing? I'm trying to land on a reason for more bottom coming out of the 914, something other than the cedar vs redwood.....congrats, man, I feel your JOY!

my 2011 914ce was a modify a model, changed the top to cedar, everything else is the same. EIR b/s. at that time, taylor used sitka for CV bracing.

this was a "lightly used" guitar in the description, but the owner reassured me it was new, as in the same new if you walk into a store and buy a taylor there. (as opposed to ordering a guitar and having it delivered to the shop directly from taylor, like my 914 was)

the only things i can think of my 914 having more bottom end is bone saddle (which is supposedly enhance the lows), my sinker has tusq.

also, my 914 was made in 2011, the sinker was made late 2014. so maybe with age the 914 opened up? i can't exactly remember what it sounded like new, but i do seem to remember it having more low end than my new sinker...but can't be certain

only thing i can say for certain is, i dont regret buying it! i have longed for sinker for a long long time! you can see my posts about it randomly thru the years here :)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

krugjr

• Veteran Member
I've heard for years now that 75%-80% of tone comes from the top wood.....so yeah, cedar to redwood could be a reason for less bottom on the Sinker, even though both have RW B&S.....and if your 914 is anything like my 2012 810 Proto, I do believe they get warmer and warmer and more bass every year.....I've lost track of how many guitars I've purchased over the last two years thinking it would replace the 810 because of more "bottom end".....well, I've sold all of those and still have the 810...and that included three GOs!!!.....Bob Taylor has said many times it saddens him knowing how many "new" guitars are bought and sold within a few months, without ever giving that guitar a chance to get played and to "open up" and to become the guitar it was built to be.....some will debate, but I'm a believer in a guitar's maturing process.....fast forward 2-3 yrs with your Sinker.......ahhhhhhhhhhhh!      (perhaps)
Music.....the Universal Language!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
... I've heard sinker paired with several back/sides woods, but I think it really shines with rosewood and ovangkol...

Never heard it paired with either of those woods.  When my Taylor journey started, I remember Empire Music having one of the 2012 Fall Limited PS14ce's ('Sinker'/Macassar Ebony) and I thought that sounded very nice.  At the same time, Empire had a 'Sinker'/Sapele Custom GA that my brother wound up buying; that's probably one of the guitars that he owns that I do like the tone.  And then there's the 'Sinker'/Walnut Custom 12-fret that I own.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
... I've heard sinker paired with several back/sides woods, but I think it really shines with rosewood and ovangkol...

Never heard it paired with either of those woods.  When my Taylor journey started, I remember Empire Music having one of the 2012 Fall Limited PS14ce's ('Sinker'/Macassar Ebony) and I thought that sounded very nice.  At the same time, Empire had a 'Sinker'/Sapele Custom GA that my brother wound up buying; that's probably one of the guitars that he owns that I do like the tone.  And then there's the 'Sinker'/Walnut Custom 12-fret that I own.

I haven't heard sinker paired with walnut,  but based on the sound properties of both woods, that's got to be a nice combo.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

timfitz63

• Veteran Member

I haven't heard sinker paired with walnut,  but based on the sound properties of both woods, that's got to be a nice combo.

In my case (a Grand Concert 12-fret), I like the pairing.  Not sure how well 'Sinker' would work with a Walnut guitar that gets strummed as a matter of course, though.  My brother has one of the GS-bodied BR-VIII guitars (Cedar/Claro Walnut), which if you believe Taylor's comparisons of top woods, would be a reasonable analog of that pairing.  It always struck me as a bit too warm for my tastes, but maybe 'Sinker' would put back some of that Sitka sparkle...?
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member

In my case (a Grand Concert 12-fret), I like the pairing.  Not sure how well 'Sinker' would work with a Walnut guitar that gets strummed as a matter of course, though.  My brother has one of the GS-bodied BR-VIII guitars (Cedar/Claro Walnut), which if you believe Taylor's comparisons of top woods, would be a reasonable analog of that pairing.  It always struck me as a bit too warm for my tastes, but maybe 'Sinker' would put back some of that Sitka sparkle...?

I love my 1997 cedar/black walnut GA, because it has both the warmth and the sparkle, plus lots of sheer power! I'm looking forward to my latest custom GA - Adirondack (with adi CV bracing) over claro walnut. I'm hoping for another powerhouse with a crisp finish... I'll know for sure in early May.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member

I love my 1997 cedar/black walnut GA, because it has both the warmth and the sparkle, plus lots of sheer power! I'm looking forward to my latest custom GA - Adirondack (with adi CV bracing) over claro walnut. I'm hoping for another powerhouse with a crisp finish... I'll know for sure in early May.

I think you'll like that combination!  I've got one of the 2011 Spring Limited GA's (Sitka/Walnut -- not sure which variety in that case) and I really like it!

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Taylor Custom GA Sinker/EIR pics:

2011 914ce - cedar/eir

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
for comparison purposes, here is my 2011 914ce cedar/eir:

2011 914ce - cedar/eir

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Beautiful!!!!!!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
They're both gorgeous,  zeebow! You're one lucky guitarist. Enjoy and play them both in good health!

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Both guitars are ridiculously beautiful.  The three of you should be making beautiful music together for a long time!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany