Author Topic: Aerocase?  (Read 6123 times)

prezmc

Aerocase?
« on: February 14, 2021, 05:55:02 PM »
I leave the house with one of my guitars pretty much every week, and so does my youngest.  He has a padded Taylor bag for his academy series, and I love how much lighter it is than my hard case.  I noticed Taylor now makes the new "AeroCase" that looks like a semi rigged case.  Curious if anyone here has tried one? If so, how does it compare to lugging around the hard cases?

Thanks!
2018 K14ce BE
2020 614ce BE
2020 714ce
2019 A12
2013 BT2

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
Re: Aerocase?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 06:09:52 PM »
I am sure someone will chime in soon. I have a semirigid case for another brand guitar I own and there is no comparison, it is way easier and would be my choice for my Taylor’s as well if I knew only I would be handling it.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

ritchie69

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 03:20:13 AM »
I leave the house with one of my guitars pretty much every week, and so does my youngest.  He has a padded Taylor bag for his academy series, and I love how much lighter it is than my hard case.  I noticed Taylor now makes the new "AeroCase" that looks like a semi rigged case.  Curious if anyone here has tried one? If so, how does it compare to lugging around the hard cases?

Thanks!
Hi, I bought the aerocase 2 months ago, I only use it when I have to take the guitar out with me, but when I am at home I keep the guitar in the original hard case.  the aerocase is very well made, very stiff, but also very heavy ..

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 05:49:38 AM »
I agree with the others. The aerocase that I got with my GS mini koa plus protects the guitar very well and looks great. But, it is much heavier than a regular gig bag or hard bag.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

prezmc

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:54:48 AM »
interesting.  Heavier than the Taylor hard case?  because if I recall they claimed something like 1/3 lighter!
2018 K14ce BE
2020 614ce BE
2020 714ce
2019 A12
2013 BT2

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:21:04 AM »
interesting.  Heavier than the Taylor hard case?  because if I recall they claimed something like 1/3 lighter!

I did some weighing of two cases, to maybe give you an idea. I weighed them on a postal scale that is quite accurate.

The best comparison I had in my house to compare to my GSM Aerocase, was my GC hard case. I removed the guitars out  of both cases, but left my accessories in each case (which had identical items in each case).

GC hard case - 11 lbs. 14.5 oz.
GSM Aerocase - 8 lbs. 3.5 oz.

difference is 3 lbs. 11.0 oz.

So, the Aerocase is about 30% lighter than the GC hard case. So yes, the 1/3 lighter statement appears to be pretty accurate. Again, I was comparing a GC to a GSM size, but it can't be that far off. I hope this gives you an idea. I do know going from a GSM hardbag to a GSM Aerocase was noticeably different. But, you do get a solid case that is going to protect your guitar.
Susie

prezmc

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 09:46:47 AM »

I did some weighing of two cases, to maybe give you an idea. I weighed them on a postal scale that is quite accurate.

The best comparison I had in my house to compare to my GSM Aerocase, was my GC hard case. I removed the guitars out  of both cases, but left my accessories in each case (which had identical items in each case).

So, the Aerocase is about 30% lighter than the GC hard case. So yes, the 1/3 lighter statement appears to be pretty accurate. Again, I was comparing a GC to a GSM size, but it can't be that far off. I hope this gives you an idea. I do know going from a GSM hardbag to a GSM Aerocase was noticeably different. But, you do get a solid case that is going to protect your guitar.

That's awesome!  Thanks for doing that. And its good to know it's solid and provides good protection.  My local dealer has one in the store, I think i'll go check it out!  Gonna see if they'll let me move my 714 between my hard case and the aero, and see if there is a meaningful difference.
2018 K14ce BE
2020 614ce BE
2020 714ce
2019 A12
2013 BT2

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 11:11:27 AM »

That's awesome!  Thanks for doing that. And its good to know it's solid and provides good protection.  My local dealer has one in the store, I think i'll go check it out!  Gonna see if they'll let me move my 714 between my hard case and the aero, and see if there is a meaningful difference.
No problem!
Yes, it boils down to you seeing and comparing. Let us know what you decide. 🙂
Susie

ritchie69

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »
Surely lighter than the original hard case, not so light as other gig bags like the mono vertigo that I used to have...
however, I recommend it , very high level of protection
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 11:48:49 AM by ritchie69 »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »
I use an Access brand case when I take any of my GAs out. Really protective and not too heavy.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Django

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 04:19:45 PM »
I have one that came with my GS Mini Plus.  I still prefer a good, traditional hard case.  I don’t like zippers.  If a latch fails, there is a redundancy.  If a zippy fails, you are screwed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:36:41 PM by Django »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 09:27:49 PM »
^^^Yessir, if a zipper fails, the case is useless.  BUT, if the zipper is as sturdy as the rest of the case, the advantages are numerous.

I offer this as a consideration since the good-quality guitar "bags" have been around for a loooong time, and have a road-worthy track record.  You have to look no further than Mono and Reunion Blues to see that these two brands have endured years of testing in the market, and both enjoy nearly ubiquitous praise.  The reason is clear: these cases offer protection that professionals require, endure the rigors of professional use, and they don't break.

My personal experience pales in comparison to serious musicians, but if I may add that my non-pro gigging use of Mono proves that this is the solution for me.  For many years of use (again, gigging as a weekend warrior, and regularly before this covid madness, but not a paid professional) my first Mono proved so beneficial that I now have four of them (two electric single, electric double, and an acoustic bag).  The only minus to a good gigbag is that you cannot stack anything on them, duh!  But as for the normal transport and usage, they offer the protection you demand for an expensive guitar, arguably more protection than a HSC, but lighter, with backpack straps, and storage areas.

A cheap gigbag is like a cheap backpack, and we've all likely faced that frustration of a ripped seam or failed zipper.  But serious outdoorsy types trust their very lives on serious backpacks, which are serious pieces of gear because they are designed and built to deliver.  A quality gigbag is no different.  Caveat: I have no idea where the Aerocase falls on this spectrum.  I am simply saying that any truly good bag is a genuine piece of quality gear worth owning.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:32:18 PM by Edward »

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 09:43:20 PM »
Mono Vertigo for me. The advantages: light weight, backpack straps, extra gear storage, VERY rugged, and well designed.  And, you stand it on the butt to load in and out. I have been in a LOT of places where you do not want to set your bag on the floor. YUK!  And now with Covid, that is even more of a bonus.

Mono says Dreadnought size but my Grand Orchestra size Customs and my LKSM also fit if I am careful.

I have tried a LOT of bags and these Mono Vertigos are the very nicest and most well designed I hav found yet.

And, if I still had roadies, I would use a Calton!  Hahahaha

Hope this helps

Paul
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:37:13 AM by Guitars44me »

prezmc

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 10:06:54 PM »
Just a followup on this thread I started a while ago.  I bought a super aero case from Taylor to tote my GA sized guitars around.  Sooo, much better.  It's about 5lbs lighter and the handle is much more comfortable.  Very happy.  It also can be carried as a backpack, but the straps zip up inside and I leave them in there.  Plenty of protection/support for my use. 
2018 K14ce BE
2020 614ce BE
2020 714ce
2019 A12
2013 BT2

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 06:01:54 AM »
Just a followup on this thread I started a while ago.  I bought a super aero case from Taylor to tote my GA sized guitars around.  Sooo, much better.  It's about 5lbs lighter and the handle is much more comfortable.  Very happy.  It also can be carried as a backpack, but the straps zip up inside and I leave them in there.  Plenty of protection/support for my use.
Good to hear you are happy with your choice. Great protection for your guitars, yet softer and a little lighter to deal with. Yes, I forgot to mention earlier about the zip up backpack straps. That's a nice feature that is an improvement over the standard gig bags and hard bags.

I agree with the others. The aerocase that I got with my GS mini koa plus protects the guitar very well and looks great. But, it is much heavier than a regular gig bag or hard bag.
I see now you were confused about my earlier comment. I said heavier than the "hard bag", which is different than a hard case. Hard bags are what the normal GS mini comes with. I was comparing the hard bag to the aero case.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:09:25 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie