Author Topic: Sitka vs. Adirondack bracing and top  (Read 7368 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Sitka vs. Adirondack bracing and top
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »
That's a great point, michaelw.  I just assumed they allowed for bracing changes within a model but that may not be the case. I'll just have to keep my eyes open.  A used GA8 with CV is probably my cheapest option at this point short of finding a used BTO somewhere or doing one myself.  I say 'fuller' because to my ears the CV bracing is deeper and louder than the standard II, which I think would compliment my GA7.  This is more of a long-term search anyway since I have to sell my GA5 first.

I appreciate all the info!

I think a GA8 would better complement your GA5 than your GA7 -- a used (pre-2014) GA8 will almost (except for very minor differences) duplicate what you already have in the GA7.  Personally, I'd rather have one mahogany guitar (GA5) and one rosewood guitar (either GA8 or GA7) than two rosewood guitars.  But to each his or her own.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

AVTaylor83

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 01:17:42 PM »
I think a GA8 would better complement your GA5 than your GA7 -- a used (pre-2014) GA8 will almost (except for very minor differences) duplicate what you already have in the GA7.  Personally, I'd rather have one mahogany guitar (GA5) and one rosewood guitar (either GA8 or GA7) than two rosewood guitars.  But to each his or her own.
I appreciate the advice, but agree to disagree.  To my ears, a CV braced sitka rosewood provides a bigger difference in tone against my standard II GA7 than my standard II cedar GA5.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:25:54 PM by AVTaylor83 »
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo

skavon

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
I have a BTO GA Adi over EIR with an Adi brace and I love it. From the first time that I played an acoustic with an adirondack top I knew that was the sound I wanted, which sounds a lot like what you're looking for. To me, the Adi top brings more volume, clearer tones and greater overtones, and you can really dig in and push it if you want. I'm not sure how different the Adi brace would make a Sitka top, but to my ear the Adi top brings a significant tone difference. Obviously we all have our own opinion on what sounds the best so you would need to play them both to decide for yourself. Good luck!

Here she is:

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »
Handsome guitar : I love Adirondack wood, and I really wish I could give a quick play to such guitar... ::)