Author Topic: Crazy idea for a spring/fall limited GS Mini  (Read 8088 times)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Crazy idea for a spring/fall limited GS Mini
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:47:03 PM »
Not gonna lie, the GS Mini in mahogany is catching up to the 700 series as my favorite new thing from Taylor. It got me to thinking -- how cool would this be for a spring/fall limited:

GS Mini
Mahogany top
Matching laminate mahogany back and sides (solid would be awesome but might require back bracing, which would probably be too much hassle and cost)
Ebony headstock overlay
Ebony bridge pins
Bone nut/saddle
Ivoroid rosette
Ivoroid headstock logo
Ivoroid button tuners
Gloss finish, no pickguard

Kind of a GS Mini 1929 if you will. :) They could do an all-koa GS Mini too and have a killer pair of limited GS Minis.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Crazy idea for a spring/fall limited GS Mini
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
Back in the day, Taylor made special edition Baby Ts.  Yeah, back/sides in rosewood, koa, maple ...all lams, mind you, but still great eye candy.  They never got popular, likely because of the model itself.  But the fact that they did it indicates the thinking is there.   Given the GSm popularity, I would not be surprsie me one bit that "upgraded" features/aesthetics are on the horizon, if not already in the works.

Edward

ataylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »
Back in the day, Taylor made special edition Baby Ts.  Yeah, back/sides in rosewood, koa, maple ...all lams, mind you, but still great eye candy.  They never got popular, likely because of the model itself.  But the fact that they did it indicates the thinking is there.   Given the GSm popularity, I would not be surprsie me one bit that "upgraded" features/aesthetics are on the horizon, if not already in the works.

Edward

Yeah... I remember that now. I'd be all for a permanent Mini series with some upgraded appointments and wood combinations. A few ideas:

Spruce/maple
Cedar/rosewood
Mahogany/mahogany
Koa/koa

Put ebony bridge pins and headstock overlays on those -- maybe with a gloss finish... could be a great way for Taylor to capitalize on the small-body craze. I bet they could keep those at or around the same price point.

I'd also love an option to upgrade to a GS Mini hardshell case. Unless they already do?

andyi5

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
I thought this too about those Baby T Ltd's. The GSm mahogany was predicted by Bob T a year back and it's followed the Baby Taylor format exactly - mahogany substituted for the spruce top. So yes, maybe they'll roll out some of those laminate b/s in maple, mahogany, rosewood, koa etc on the GSm as well.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »
i wouldn't mind seeing a cedar top Mini, with the same appointments as the standard model, including the $ :)

more along the line of last year's Fall NS24c/e LTDs, imho, with the main difference being the tone :D

it would be cool if in the future, when the $ on the standard Mini begins to rise, to see the
aesthetics fall in-line with the 100 series, with body binding & a rosewood headstock overlay

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Iplay2

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
i wouldn't mind seeing a cedar top Mini, with the same appointments as the standard model, including the $ :)

That is my fear, I don't think I would want to pay the same for a Mini as a 110.  I might have to jump at a Cedar/RW mini, but it would probably be a bit pricey....

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
actually what i meant was 'the same appointments & $ as the current Mini model',
but with a cedar top  & i should have used the word 'Mini' rather than 'standard'

there isn't too much of a $ difference between the Mini & the 110 & the Mini comes with the hardbag, but
the size of the guitar doesn't relate directly to cost either (a 7/8 size guitar isn't necessarily 12.5% less $),
so if the $ were to go up, & what doesn't these days, i think binding & a rosewood headstock would be nice

i wonder if there was any experimentation done regarding a 12 fret Mini ???
with a cedar top or engelmann spruce, i think that would be pretty fun too :D

support indie musicians

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:30:32 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see an all-solid wood GSmini in the lineup. Something like a  "527e" could be an all-mahogany with electronics, "7" being the hypothetical number for the GSmini body. But I doubt at this point Taylor would make it a regular model. Perhaps a BTO...
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

ataylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:13:43 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see an all-solid wood GSmini in the lineup. Something like a  "527e" could be an all-mahogany with electronics, "7" being the hypothetical number for the GSmini body. But I doubt at this point Taylor would make it a regular model. Perhaps a BTO...

If they could price it fairly aggressively a la the old 200 series (which I'm glad I partook of while it was around!) I'd be all about an all-solid GS mini with gloss finish and wood headstock overlay. I'd also love the option of a hardshell case, even if it meant paying an upgrade when ordering. I just think kid in high school with knockoff strat whenever I see a gig bag, even though I have heard Taylor's bags are really nice.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 02:55:41 AM »

If they could price it fairly aggressively a la the old 200 series (which I'm glad I partook of while it was around!) I'd be all about an all-solid GS mini with gloss finish and wood headstock overlay. I'd also love the option of a hardshell case, even if it meant paying an upgrade when ordering. I just think kid in high school with knockoff strat whenever I see a gig bag, even though I have heard Taylor's bags are really nice.
page 11, second letter down on the far left ... 'there is a chance !' :D
http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/ws_summer_2011.pdf

just guessing on a designation, as the BTs were 301/305 & the BBTs 306/307, possibly a 308 ???
rather than a 309, as a 400 series would be a 409, but the world's not ready for 'formula 410' ;)

Taylor did it in 91, with the original 410 & history 'repeated itself' in 04.5/05 with the 210 ...
perhaps in 2014, will there be a 'trifecta', with the same appointments of the 04.5/05 210 ???

support indie musicians

e8n

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
Guessing it won't be too long before you can BTO a Mini and if you want to spend a bunch of money on one of them I'm guessing Taylor would be happy to take it from you :)

-Dave
2011 Taylor Custom GS (Adi/Rosewood)
2012 Taylor 814LTD Spring Limited
2008 Fender Telecaster
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26c,2010 Taylor Custom DN, Taylor 714ce

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 08:15:36 AM »
I would love to see an all hog, or all koa mini.  I also think it would be cool to BTO, but at around the same price as the 100 series.  I would definitely be in on that!
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

ataylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »
page 11, second letter down on the far left ... 'there is a chance !' :D
http://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/ws_summer_2011.pdf

Good catch! I remember reading that now. It will be fun to see what Taylor does with the GS Mini line -- I think it's a winner and a really fun guitar. With small-body guitars really seeming to be all the rage right now, they'd be smart to expand the line sooner than later... :)

Matt McGriff

• Might be my fault...
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »
I would like to see a 1.75" nut option at no charge. Everything else is fine as $X00 is about as much as I want to spend on a travel/knockaround guitar.

edited for price
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:29:32 PM by michaelw »
2011 Taylor 810e
2010 Rainsong Hybrid Studio Dread
2011 Taylor GSMini

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
While I think an all-Koa Mini would be killer - it would not be sold at the current price point which is one of the main reasons I bought the Mini.