Author Topic: Advantages or disadvantages to a 12 fret?  (Read 6731 times)

CRFAn1

Advantages or disadvantages to a 12 fret?
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »
So it seems everyone loves their Taylor 12 fret guitars but I was wondering if anyone can say why?  Is their an advantage or disadvantage to them?  Do you play them out?  Easier to maintain? Do they still sound good?

Inquiring minds want to know!  :)
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy! :)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Advantages or disadvantages to a 12 fret?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:22:31 PM »
Advantages: 
- puts the bridge more in the center of the lower bout, therefore somewhat richer / mature tone
- easier to reach first position cowboys chords (closer to your body) if you have left shoulder issues or short arms
Disadvantages:
- limited reach to upper frets, especially if you play up there and/or capo up more than about three frets

I avoided twelve fret guitars for a long time, being fully imprinted on fourteen frets to the body as "standard".  I found my visual references messed up when playing up the neck - for a short while.  I happen to play up to the 17th fret, with lots of regular action at 12-14.  Even with a cutaway, reaching the upper frets can be a challenge.  I bought a nice relatively inexpensive 12 fret parlor sized guitar to experiment with smaller bodies, twelve frets, non-cutaway, and even a slotted head stock!
https://tetonguitars.com/product/stp180dvb-acoustic-parlor-spruce-teton-guitar/

I play guitars from baritone (27-7/8" scale) down to 24" scale, and tenor ukulele (17" scale).  Switching between them, it can take a minute or two to fully adapt - sometimes my fingers go to the wrong fret at first.

Don't confuse twelve or fourteen frets to the body with the regular 25-1/2" scale length versus short scale 24-7/8".  These are two very different things.  Hope this helps....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:27:37 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

CRFAn1

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »
Advantages: 
- puts the bridge more in the center of the lower bout, therefore somewhat richer / mature tone
- easier to reach first position cowboys chords (closer to your body) if you have left shoulder issues or short arms
Disadvantages:
- limited reach to upper frets, especially if you play up there and/or capo up more than about three frets

I avoided twelve fret guitars for a long time, being fully imprinted on fourteen frets to the body as "standard".  I found my visual references messed up when playing up the neck - for a short while.  I happen to play up to the 17th fret, with lots of regular action at 12-14.  Even with a cutaway, reaching the upper frets can be a challenge.  I bought a nice relatively inexpensive 12 fret parlor sized guitar to experiment with smaller bodies, twelve frets, non-cutaway, and even a slotted head stock!

I play guitars from baritone (27-7/8" scale) down to 24" scale, and tenor ukulele (17" scale).  Switching between them, it can take a minute or two to fully adapt - sometimes my fingers go to the wrong fret at first.

Don't confuse twelve or fourteen frets to the body with the regular 25-1/2" scale length versus short scale 24-7/8".  These are two very different things.  Hope this helps....

Great information, thank you.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:01 PM »
Another major advantage for some is the lower string tension caused by the shorter scale.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
Another major advantage for some is the lower string tension caused by the shorter scale.

Again to clarify, "short scale" is different than "how many frets to the body".  A twelve fret guitar CAN also have a shorter scale, but it can just as easily be standard 25.5" scale.  Lower string tension is a definite advantage of short scale lengths.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

CRFAn1

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »
I assume in Theory you can have a nice low action on a 12 fret as well due to less frets and a shorter neck?  :)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »
I love GC 12 frets. it really depends on how it feels and what type of playing you do

for me, i’m 5’7 - the GC body is the ideal size. i play with a light to medium strum and finger pick . i’d say the GC 12 frets really shine when fingerpicked

advantages:
- less string tension
- shorter scales makes farther frets easier to reach and more intimidate experience (you can really “wrap” yourself around it)
- bridge is moved further into the lower bout of the top - has a deeper response and added projection
- adi braces make this an incredibly responsive guitar, responds to a very light touch

disadvantage:
- if you play the higher frets frequently, things get cramped
- if you play 10th fret and higher, should consider a cutaway
- less sustain, bass and volume compared to bigger body guitars
- slightly more expensive than 14 frets

all that being said, taylor also makes GA 12 frets, but i have never come across one. some people love them but i have no experience with them

85% of the time, i grab a GC 12 fret bc they are so much easier to play...
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 09:06:48 AM »
So it seems everyone loves their Taylor 12 fret guitars but I was wondering if anyone can say why?  Is their an advantage or disadvantage to them?

The main disadvantage is that one day you might walk into a guitar shop and think, "darn, no 12-frets to try out, oh well. . ."

The tone of my 12 frets have spoiled me such that a regular 14 fret guitar will have to work really hard to impress me.

Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

CRFAn1

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
All great info.  Gonna have to try one and see what the fuss is about!  8)

Liam

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 04:43:23 AM »
Advantages: 
Disadvantages:

I wanted to write the same about the advantages and disadvantages, but looked at the date of the post and realized that you were ahead of me a very long time :)

It was interesting to read about your instruments, it turns out we have something in common, I also switch to this ukulele model during the game KMU30B. I wonder if you play anything else?

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »
Liam, I play (with varying degrees of frequency and skill):
six string acoustic guitar, twelve string guitar, electric bass, upright bass, banjo :o, mandolin, all four ukulele sizes, and U-bass.  If this sounds impressive, it really isn't.  Once you have some depth of knowledge and technique on one fretted instrument, learning another is more a matter of remembering new chord shapes and scale boxes.  Most of the skills and techniques carry over.  I also play guitar in six different tunings (so far) because I fell in love with Hawaiian music in general and slack key guitar in particular.  Acoustic guitar is my primary instrument, with ukulele as #2.  What I cannot handle are fretless instruments like violin - I need some reference point like a fret or a dot.

Mostly through workshops at festivals my dabbling has included piano, dulcimer, harp, drums, and a few others.  Back in high school I played mostly trumpet, also French horn, baritone horn, and even tuba for a while when our tuba player broke his collarbone.  I'm an engineer, not a music major - lest anyone wonder.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
Don't know if this was made clear, but ALL Taylor GC's have reduced scale length.  As has been stated, the 12-fret model's bridge is located lower on the lower bout, creating a richer tone and more pronounced bass.  I own 3 12-fret guitars (Martin, Froggy Bottom, Taylor), all without cutaway and all with shortened scale, and love them to death other than the occasional inconvenience of no cut-away.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
"Don't know if this was made clear, but ALL Taylor GC's have reduced scale length."

Slight correction.  Pre 2000, pre NT GCs have 25.5" scale. Originally ALL Taylors did. I am not sure exactly when the GC/X12s went to SS, but about 2000 I seem to recall. They can still be special ordered with Long Scale, or could for some time, anyway...

I have found, all else equal, with a 12 fret I get more comfort and TONE.  I need a cutaway but that adds plenty of upper fret access for me. Also a 12 fret is nice for slide as the neck heel stops your hand pretty much in position for the octave.

Try one and see for yourself! There is a reason all real Classical guitars use the 12 fret join. The geometry is just better for tone and volume.

Cheers

Paul