Author Topic: 414CE VS. 414CE-R  (Read 7783 times)

Sonvolt

414CE VS. 414CE-R
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:11:04 AM »
Hi, has anyone here played both the 414CE and the 414CE-R?
I played the 414CE a while ago and loved it but, for some reason, just figured the 414CE-R had to be better with spruce/rosewood, so I ordered one without hearing/playing it first.It's a great guitar but I feel like it's not as good as the 414CE for fingerpicking, just doesn't have that high end sparkle and brightness.This might just be all in my head though.
Has anyone played both who can confirm my opinion or give me their thoughts on how the two differ?
Thanks.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: 414CE VS. 414CE-R
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:13:36 AM »
The main difference is ovangkol, which may be discontinued soon if it hasn't already been. Ovangkol, while similar to rosewood in tone, has more of a midrange boost, versus rosewood's midrange scoop. The result is a very pleasing "complete" tonal range.
Spruce/ rosewood is a natural combo - more traditional in its sound.  It's still a nice instrument, just different.

My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »
just figured the 414CE-R had to be better with spruce/rosewood
Not better, just different, as SF described.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »
No sir, the tonal difference is not in your head.  Ovangkol and rosewood b/s make for a markedly different voice given the same Sitka top.  It is a personal choice, to be sure, but the difference between the two is definite, as SF gave you their basic tonal run down.

There are perceptions that rw (or whatever species) is "better" than this or that: hogwash and utter market spin, often used by builders to justify a higher-end product with the superior wood x over the mundane wood y (I personally do not believe Taylor does this, btw, as evidenced by their widely varying line where wood species alone does not determine the price difference, barring rare woods, of course).  Then there is net-lore that propagates this misconception. 

Yessir, your ears are right on as the ovangkol 414 you had played has a markedly different midrange quality, a bump up if you, in that tonal range whereas the rw 414 has that signature mid "scoop" that so typifies rw/spruce guitars.  I've owned DNs and GSs with both woods and the tonal difference is undeniable.  So perhaps you gravitate toward the more "present" sound of ovangkol, or perhaps you don't like the mid-scooped nature of rw.  Then again, change the top wood and it's a whole new tonal equation to consider.  Either way, you're definitely discovering what it is you want in a guitar!  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:11:28 PM by Edward »

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
the other thing to consider is the 414ce may have had more playing time and started to “open up”. also the acoustic qualities of the room you play in is different.

i wouldn’t make any hasty decisions, see if the guitar speaks to you. or buy the 414ce you played. some shops have a limited return policy..but be mindful that another 414ce with ovangkolay not sound the same as the original one you played

there is no “better” tonewood, just different. i’m very biased and love rosewood (east indian), and in love with cocobolo (a true rosewood)

i have a 414ce with ovangkol and love that too!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Sonvolt

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
Wow, you guys are great, thanks for the very informative input.
I believe that I will return the 414CE-R today and exchange it for the 414CE.
I don't have a great ear for these kinds of things but I just like the way the Ovangkal sounds for fingerpicking, brighter and almost shimmery. The rosewood one just doesn't have the brightness and clarity for this IMO.
Thanks!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:54 PM »
You're gonna love the Ovangkol. I'm a fingerpicker, trust me. However, I do love my Rosewood when I play with my bluegrass group. Nice thing is, there's a Taylor out there for all needs/wants. Please show off that 414ce when you get it.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »
Hi Sonvolt and welcome to the UTGF! As the others have mentioned there is a very noticeable difference in tone between rosewood and ovangkol. Years ago I ordered a modify-a-model 914ce by getting an Engelmann spruce top instead of the traditional sitka spruce. Eventually I got a 414ce and wound up selling the 914ce simply because I much preferred the tonal qualities of ovangkol instead of rosewood.

Years ago I tried out all the traditional x14 Taylor series models, but my favorite woods for tone are ovangkol (4-series) and sapele (3-series). Tone is the biggest driving factor for me. Guitars may look nice and have a lot of bling, but in the end, it's the sound/tone that moves me the most.

Please be sure to let us know how you like the ovangkol after you get it. :)
Cindy

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:26:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sonvolt.  I can not help you with the tonal differences much, but I think that Ovankol will be replaced with Rosewood, due to availability.  If you do get the Ovankol 414 I am pretty sure you will like it.  Ovankol has always been very popular. 

Typically Ovankol will have more midrange frequency, every bit the low frequency, and high frequency as Rosewood 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.