Author Topic: NEW LUTZ SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD 700 SERIES  (Read 4735 times)

Bernie

• Music Lover
NEW LUTZ SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD 700 SERIES
« on: November 05, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
These new guitars seem very appealing to me after a review I watched a while back...
They seem to have a sound quite different from what i had heard till now : but it will probably take several months at least before I can see one in the shop where I live (small european town)...
Anybody had a chance to try, or to own one yet ?
I'd be very interested in knowing what feelings you've had about them...
Thanks...

jkm

Re: NEW LUTZ SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD 700 SERIES
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
Love my 712ce-N (nylon) model.  Would consider a nylon cedar model too.

Reviews of the steel string versions with videos available here.

https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/new-gear/taylor-712e-12-fret/

http://www.guitarworld.com/gear-reviews-acoustics-gear/review-taylor-712e-12-fret-western-sunburst-guitar/29951

warsmokeeagle

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
1997 Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster
2011 Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue
2015 Baby Taylor
2015 K16ce LTD
2016 Martin Custom 000-28

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:37 PM »
Thanks JKM, nice links and very interesting information : is your 712ce-N one of the recent models with lutz-spruce top ?

Warsmokeeagle for now I haven't been able to watch the video as my browser wouldn't open it...Maybe some problem here, or a wrong address somehow ?

Thanks anyhow,
Bernie... ;)

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:41:21 PM »
I own one of the new 710e short scale models. A beautiful, easy playing guitar with more overtones I've ever had before. A very nice guitar.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

jkm

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:13 PM »
Thanks JKM, nice links and very interesting information : is your 712ce-N one of the recent models with lutz-spruce top ?

Yes, without the sunburst. Have had it just a few weeks.  I love the natural color of the lutz spruce.  The Douglas fir trim and rosette look great against the light lutz color.  In a room of Sitka tops it looks unique.

And it sounds fantastic. The size at the bottom of the lower bout of a nylon GC is in between a GA and standard GC.  The deep and loud bass surprised me. It's a keeper.

I have also played a new 714ce.  With the redesign the 700 series has really come into its own.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:43:22 AM by jkm »

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »
Thanks Jkm and you too Flaggerphil...This new 700 series definitely do appeal to me ("old" ones with Cedar tops did as well...). The 712e-12 sunburst reviewed by Peghead Nation and Guitar World is neat, isn't it ? And I liked too the 714ce I had heard on the "Acoustic Letter" site even better...Cool !                                  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjUztkExhms&feature=youtube )

Warsmokeeagle, this time I got your link working : very interesting...Thanks. However what about this lack of power compared to the 814ce they've been pointing out ? What do you think Phil & Jkm if you'd been able to check that out ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:48:18 PM by Bernie »

jkm

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:21:04 AM »
Here's a recent review of a 712ce by Musician's Friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20woyFrRw0
quote: "big, big sound coming out of it for sure"

So far the two 700 series guitars I have played both had fantastic sound.  Concern with volume didn't cross my mind.  My own 712ce-N has volumes of sound as did the 714ce.  The store I frequently visit has a 712ce due this week.  If it disappoints I will post a note.

Having played many 800 series models there's no concern in my mind about a lack of power in the 700 series.  We will see what the 712ce 12 fret brings.  If its anything like the other 12 frets from Taylor it shouldn't disappoint.  But given the option to take an 800 series home for free or one of the 700 series (all two of them) I have played, I would walk away with the 700 series.

I love the new top wood of the new 700s. The Lutz Spruce gives them a very credible (if not competitive) and unique voice among the Taylor lines, as well as compelling visual appeal. If you do not mind a lighter color for the top, the visuals are as great as the sound.  If you don't like the lighter color, the burst looks good too. Check out the stunning visuals on this 710e model recently reviewed by Musician's Friend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVQK9RMMfN0

I have very much enjoyed the voice of my 712ce-N and the tonal influence the lutz spruce has on it.  The steel string 714ce was also great. I highly suggest testing it first hand and forming a personal opinion.

If interested in the comments of a credible luthier, John Greven has made a comment about lutz in his guide to voicing steel string guitars.
(http://www.grevenguitars.com/pdfs/VoicingtheGuitar.pdf)

In my opinion the new 700 series hold its own and both I have played are fantastic.  In both cases I was tempted to take them home, and did buy the 712ce-N. No regrets.

As is always the case, each individual guitar will have its own voice.  So many variables are at play that sometimes you find a fantastic guitar that doesn't represent the "average" of that series, and sometimes you find a dud.  My local store has a 312e that I am tempted to buy every time I pick it up.  I picked up an 812e this morning that was a dud.  And yesterday picked up an 812 12-fret (no cutaway, no electronics) that was among the best sounding Taylor guitars I have ever played.  Hopefully the two 700 models I have played are representative of the series.  Will add another data point later this week.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 02:16:56 AM by jkm »

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 08:49:46 AM »
Hey that's a great answer...Thank you very much : love the John Greven guide to voicing steel strings guitars... I haven't read it all but found his comment about Lutz spruce ! So we'll see : I'll wait for the first 714ce or other 700ce's in my surroundings...I might give a few phone calls soon : ES2 seems a very reliable "amplificational" system and I am keen of having one. So this might be the right time for me...("oh not a Taylor.., not again..." My luthier friends will not forgive me maybe, but if that's the best I can find these days  , what can I do)... ???

Aren't these guitars a bit too gentle however...(you know, too polite and well educated) ? They sound a bit like that on those "mudicians' friend" reviews don't they ?
And I am (a bit of) a nasty rock musician... :P grrrr !
(Only kidding). Thanks very much for all this info Jkm and best of luck...
Cheers, Bernie

warsmokeeagle

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »
Thanks Jkm and you too Flaggerphil...This new 700 series definitely do appeal to me ("old" ones with Cedar tops did as well...). The 712e-12 sunburst reviewed by Peghead Nation and Guitar World is neat, isn't it ? And I liked too the 714ce I had heard on the "Acoustic Letter" site even better...Cool !                                  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjUztkExhms&feature=youtube )

Warsmokeeagle, this time I got your link working : very interesting...Thanks. However what about this lack of power compared to the 814ce they've been pointing out ? What do you think Phil & Jkm if you'd been able to check that out ?

I haven't had a chance to play both yet. Sorry.
1997 Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster
2011 Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue
2015 Baby Taylor
2015 K16ce LTD
2016 Martin Custom 000-28

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »
I haven't had a chance to play both yet. Sorry.
Don't worry "War smoke eagle"...It seems the guy was over cautious with the 714 anyway : maybe he wanted to keep it for himself !  ;) :)

What's up John? Did you get the 712ce too ? Then too busy for a comment yet (or maybe it's not arrived yet...) ?  :)

Bernie

Nicky Midss

• celebrate we will...
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »
taylor is ruining their lines. i have disliked all the remakes except for the 600 series. WTH
-Nick

1998 914c - Engelmann/Rosewood

ericjungemann

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »
Slightly off the 700 Lutz discussion and more towards the comment about Taylor ruining their lines. 

While I respect the opinion, I've found the Andy Powers reimagining of the model lines to be inspiring.  I've had 10 Taylor 12 strings over the last 30 years so I'm admittedly a big fan.  Each of the new ones has been better than the last.  I've had GA, GS and Jumbo sizes.

And my current 562CE (GC size) is the best of the bunch and they've all been great.  Small, light, great playability and sound.  So, my experience has been completely different.  Immediate and noticeable.
Eric Jungemann
GS Mini E Koa Plus
150e

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:26:35 PM »
I like the fact that Taylor continuously looks to hopefully improve their offerings instead of resting on their laurels like some other makers. I own both older and newer Taylors and while not all the recent changes suit my individual preferences, I think that all the changes are the result of thoughtful planning on Taylor's  part. I for one like the looks of the new 700s, even more than the 800s and 900s.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 10:27:39 PM »
Agreed. Andy Powers has taken a great guitar and made it even better. Admittedly, my only frame of reference is my revoiced 814, but that thing is a heck of a leap forward....