Author Topic: DIY Guitar Cabinet  (Read 1833 times)

floyd80

DIY Guitar Cabinet
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:21:48 AM »
OK, so I just purchased a 618e, and wanted to get a cabinet for it.  I didn't want to keep it in the case, because i feel when it's available to grab and play at any time, well.. that's just better!  And i want to control to climate inside this thing. Looking around the interwebs, i found cabinets are really expensive.. so i made one myself! 

It's based off an IKEA cabinet, and IKEA doors attached to it (unfortunately you have to buy 2 doors, that's why it's not one long glass door).  I then added a piece of plywood to back for extra stability, hardware to join the doors to make them one swinging piece, and handle for the doors, weather stripping around the doors and all seams, and added latches to the side to keep a tight seal. I mounted some lights inside, (IKEA too), as well as a guitar hanger, as well as a couple hygrometers. The humidity here in the house is a solid 50% right now (NYC Metro Area), but I plan on adding some Music Sorb to the cabinet during the dry winter months and the summer months (even though the RH level in the house is pretty stable year round).  I just wanted to share this. Total cost to build the thing was around two hundred bucks and took about 8 hours.

Fun project!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:27:08 AM by jkilgour2000 »

cassidy9914

Re: DIY Guitar Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:13:03 PM »
WOW! thats awesome. Wish I had the skill and patients to build one of these for my Taylors. I bought this for my David Gilmour replica black strat I sorta put together. Less than 150 bucks. Red felt background, wall hanger, plexiglass wood framed door, optional LED lights to mount. I just hung on the wall and have access when ever I need it.
16 214ce-K Deluxe
17 Academy Series A12
12 Fender FSR DG Black Strat
15 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
16 Fender Squier Classic 50's Strat
17 Gibson LP Tribute

floyd80

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 09:51:18 AM »
Wow! That is one nice guitar!  Cool case too...  DG is my favorite guitarist, and I've always loved these Gilmour Strats.  I wish I could have afforded to pick one up at the time they came out.

floyd80

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 10:11:59 AM »
Well, I finally put the finishing touches on my guitar cabinet  :) I wanted to create a humidity controlled display case for my 618e, and I think I did it!

To control and monitor the humidity, I first made sure it was tightly sealed, which I did with weather stripping and sealer all around the thing...

Then i purchased a product called "Music Sorb", which is basically a silica-basecd 2-way system designed to keep the case between 40-60%rh. That is what is in the bag at the bottom of the case. 

Then, I added a Cigar Oasis humidifier, set at 47%. It's always plugged in, but only comes on in spurts to keep the humidity constant.

Additionally, and I know I went overboard, I have four different hygrometers in there. A small Taylor hygrometer, which seems to be the most accurate, the D'addario Humiditrak
system, so i can see what the RH is from my phone, a small Accurite hydrometer, and two large color displays mounted on the wall.  All if the hygrometers are within 1-2% of each other exempt for the largest color display, which is reading 6% under (I'm going to toss that one out).

For the past coupe of weeks the RH in the house is hovering at 30-32%, and the case is a solid 47-48%.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, and I know I've def gone overboard, but I needed a project!!