Author Topic: Difference between T5Z models?.....  (Read 8674 times)

marc55

Difference between T5Z models?.....
« on: September 30, 2016, 03:04:38 PM »
I went and tried out a T5Z Mahogany today, and I simply love the thing; nt too crazy on the Mahogany color though.

My question is what are the differences between the various T5Z models which range from $1600 to $2700?

As layaway, your insight is greatly appreciated.

m
2017 Taylor Roadshow GS Mini AA-KOA, Ltd
2014 Collings Baby- Flamed Maple
1973 Guild D55

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Difference between T5Z models?.....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »
As with the T5z's big brother, the T5, the differences are largely cosmetic.  Different wood for the top; different accoutrements; snazzier design elements.  Underneath, all of the T5z's are effectively identical to one another.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

marc55

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:04:07 AM »
Thanks; that's what I was thinking.
M
2017 Taylor Roadshow GS Mini AA-KOA, Ltd
2014 Collings Baby- Flamed Maple
1973 Guild D55

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »
Well, the spruce and mahogany tops are going to give you the most 'acoustic' sound.  The maple top guitars look gorgeous, but aren't going to sound as good on the acoustic setting.  I spent quite a bit of time with both a maple top and a spruce top T5z, and there is a notable difference.  When I kicked the selector down to the third position and added in a bit of overdrive, the maple top guitar sounded closer to a solid body electric than the spruce top guitar, which sounded more like a semi-hollowbody guitar.
Aloha!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 06:43:40 PM »
Well, the spruce and mahogany tops are going to give you the most 'acoustic' sound.  The maple top guitars look gorgeous, but aren't going to sound as good on the acoustic setting.  I spent quite a bit of time with both a maple top and a spruce top T5z, and there is a notable difference.  When I kicked the selector down to the third position and added in a bit of overdrive, the maple top guitar sounded closer to a solid body electric than the spruce top guitar, which sounded more like a semi-hollowbody guitar.

Marketing information given by Taylor through their dealers suggests that there are no differences acoustically, regardless of the top.  However, I tend to agree with you that the tops do provide different sonic characteristics on the T5 guitars.  I've got a 2008 T5 with a Spruce top and it has always sounded better to me in the acoustic setting than my T5-C1 with a Maple top; the latter sounds 'brittle' or 'harsh' acoustically, but really has a nice electric guitar sound in the "3" setting.  I play my T5-C1 almost exclusively as if it were an electric guitar, partly for that reason.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

itstooloudMike

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 10:05:15 AM »
I agree with what has been said. When I got my T5z, I purposely wanted the maple top, so that it would have a convincing electric guitar sound. The T5z will never sound as "acoustic" as a typical good acoustic guitar. You have to accept that. If I only want an acoustic sound through a sound reinforcement system, I always use my 414kce. But that's not what I bought the T5z for. The T5z is my most used guitar, simply because of the tone versatility. It can get pretty good amplified acoustic sounds when needed, and is significantly helped by using a TC BodyRez pedal. But if the T5z didn't get a convincing electric sound, I probably would not have bought it. With the maple top, I can get nice sounds that simulate everything from a Telecaster to a Gretsch, and even some Gibson tones. For my uses, the T5z must primarily be an electric guitar, which secondarily can cover some acoustic sounds. For this, the maple top version works very well.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:23:52 PM by itstooloudMike »