Author Topic: Looking forward to getting back to my 414CE... + Strings  (Read 1086 times)

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
Looking forward to getting back to my 414CE... + Strings
« on: November 02, 2013, 06:54:38 AM »
Been away from home (Mexico City) since late Aug and have been living aboard a boat in MD.  I've been playing a Martin D16GT for that period and though it's a perfectly acceptable guitar (and stays in tune amazingly well), I miss the playability and articulation of the Taylor.  I'll be heading home in about a week and performing at a small theater about a week later and I'm sure pleased I'll be doing that with the Taylor as opposed to D16!

I'm also going to try some different strings on the 414.  I have been using the oem light Elixers but while here in the US, I bought a set of the Elixer light top/med bottoms - http://www.juststrings.com/elx-11077.html.  I'm hoping they might generate a bit more bass from the 414.  It's bass is quite good, better than my Martin D16 but it doesn't have the authority of my HD28. I prefer the 414 overall for performing and no longer use the HD but a tad more bass would be nice if possible.

I had already found that a Med low E and A pumped up my GS5 12 string's bass over the standard lights.  I removed the octave e so tension was not as high as with a full set of the oem light strings.  I just purchased a heavy E and A as well for the 12 that I'm going to try.  I will tune it 1/2 step low which will still keep the tension below that of a full set of lights at standard pitch.

PureTone

Re: Looking forward to getting back to my 414CE... + Strings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »
Having the expectation that a Standard 414 might begin to approach the low end response of a HD28 is a bit unrealistic. A 416 Rosewood with CV bracing might be closer, or, more likely, possibly a Rosewood Grand Orchestra model.
Experimenting with strings, and picks, will probably make the most difference in terms of tonal perception (saddle, nut and bridge pins may have a slight effect), but changes are likely to be moderate (the 414 will still sound like a 414).
This model might be closer to the HD28. Bracing is similar to a HD28V, but the body is smaller.
http://www.martinguitar.com/model/item/929-gpcpa1-madagascar-rosewood.html

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Looking forward to getting back to my 414CE... + Strings
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
Mike, I've been putting DR Rare strings on my 814 and GC7 and just loving what they do for the low end.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke