Author Topic: NGD Review and Pics - GA #9  (Read 4814 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
NGD Review and Pics - GA #9
« on: May 29, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
Okay, so I've been playing this new creation for a few weeks now...and it has exceeded my expectations for a Adirondack/Walnut GA. My '97 cedar/walnut GA convinced me that I could design a powerful sounding guitar by pairing an Adirondack top (with Adi CV bracing) with Walnut as a less expensive alternative to Macassar ebony. Not too long ago, I had played a stellar sounding Bourgeois OM with and Adi top and Macassar ebony back and sides. My wife would chide me with her regret that I didn't buy that guitar. That regret was silenced when she heard this one.

I've never been a huge Adi fan for my playing style - I've had mixed reactions to various specimens. But this one boasts that characteristic strength, coupled with some real honey-sweetness in tone. But there's no muddiness - this guitar is loud, crisp and articulate. It reminds me also of an old Louden euro spruce/quilted maple I used to own. I gave it up because of its clubby neck, but what a powerful tone that guitar had. Now that tone is back with some additional pleasant surprises. People often describe a guitar's tone using the phrase "piano-like bass", but this one's high notes are so "fat" that they also sound piano-like! This guitar will be an all-purpose guitar, because it responds so well to both and light and more aggressive touch.

I might be at the end of my G.A.S. with this one and the rest of the herd! Probably the plainest looking guitar in my stable, this one still has a real beauty in its simplicity. Here are some picks of the woods above with wonderful bloodwood accents everywhere:

My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

SkyHigh

Re: NGD Review and Pics - GA #9
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 09:41:21 AM »
Beautiful!!!

Did you take these photo? What camera?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
Beautiful indeed. You did well with this one. Taylor sure does it right!  :o
Now, what's #10 going to be?  ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »
As I had said in your orig thread, that's just flat-out stunning, SF!  But now that you've played it some and gotten a chance to put it through its paces, I'm glad it has exceeded your expectations!  Getting any guitar based on specs always involves a measure of rolling dice.  Even with a marque as impeccably consistent as Taylor, the quality is never an issue to be questioned; but will the final voice actually be what one expects?...always a bit of a nail-biter, so I'm glad this worked for you, friend!!

FWIW, you mentioned a Lowden with euro spruce/quilted maple whose tone was powerful and thick.  My RT Style2 is engelmann/quilted maple and it is just as you described: deep lows that are rich and clearly defined, yes, but the treble strings all sound bigger, with "piano-like" girth, not to mention full and distinct mids (as I personally never jived with scooped tones).  An amazingly "big" sounding guitar (from a "little" GC-sized body!) that is the best tonally-balanced I have ever played.  When the right woods meet the right build, it certainly is something very special to behold.  I've not had any experience with walnut but you've clearly got a winner here.  Enjoy this very special guitar, man! :D :D :D

Edward

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
Beautiful!!!

Did you take these photo? What camera?

No, actually Eric Martin of Martin Music took the photos, so I don't know what camera he used. I always ask him to take some glamor shots after I've added my after-market touches (in this case, tuner buttons and bridge pins).

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 04:08:02 PM »

I know that 10 is a nice, round number, but I think I'm done. It's getting hard to find time for this amount of guitars for me. Additionally, I think I have all the diversity I need at this time. In fact, I may thin the herd a bit, and only acquire something new when I feel that it is a worthy replacement for something I already own.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 04:12:12 PM »
As I had said in your orig thread, that's just flat-out stunning, SF!  But now that you've played it some and gotten a chance to put it through its paces, I'm glad it has exceeded your expectations!  Getting any guitar based on specs always involves a measure of rolling dice.  Even with a marque as impeccably consistent as Taylor, the quality is never an issue to be questioned; but will the final voice actually be what one expects?...always a bit of a nail-biter, so I'm glad this worked for you, friend!!

FWIW, you mentioned a Lowden with euro spruce/quilted maple whose tone was powerful and thick.  My RT Style2 is engelmann/quilted maple and it is just as you described: deep lows that are rich and clearly defined, yes, but the treble strings all sound bigger, with "piano-like" girth, not to mention full and distinct mids (as I personally never jived with scooped tones).  An amazingly "big" sounding guitar (from a "little" GC-sized body!) that is the best tonally-balanced I have ever played.  When the right woods meet the right build, it certainly is something very special to behold.  I've not had any experience with walnut but you've clearly got a winner here.  Enjoy this very special guitar, man! :D :D :D

Edward

Thanks Edward - interesting how that Louden description resonated with you. There are a lot of different things that can make a guitar special. I was actually going for that Louden sound when I had my Engelmann/quilted maple Taylor built. While I love its fundamental, thick tone, it doesn't have the roaring voice of that Louden. This one, however, does. It's fun when it all comes together, isn't it?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 05:17:51 PM »

I know that 10 is a nice, round number, but I think I'm done. It's getting hard to find time for this amount of guitars for me. Additionally, I think I have all the diversity I need at this time. In fact, I may thin the herd a bit, and only acquire something new when I feel that it is a worthy replacement for something I already own.
If you choose to thin the herd, that's going to be some tough decisions, because you've always found each one to be spectacular in their own way. That's going to take some hard thinking.  ??? :-\
But, on the flip side, there will be some nice guitars to consider by potential buyers.  ;D :o
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 08:20:37 PM »
That's a real looker, "SF!"  Thanks for giving us the low-down on the tone.  I've yet to be wowed by an Adirondack-topped guitar -- but I remain open to the possibility that one may come along that catches my ear.

Congratulations!  Enjoy it until GA #10 comes along (we all know better when someone around here says "This is my last one..." ;))
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 10:09:44 AM »
Thanks Tim - it's hard not to like this Adi top. The term "tone monster" comes to mind. It's just a different flavor of powerful when paired with walnut. Anyway, no more guitars will come home with me unless another leaves. After all, I only have two hands!

Happy Memorial Day to all....

jima9426

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »
Stunning guitar. Great taste. But I'd love to hear it against that Bourgeois OM Adi/Macassar. Seems to me to be a bit of a leap from one to the other.
2016 Yamaha FG-180 50th Anniversary
2014 Martin 000-18
2013 Gibson Fuller's J-35
2013 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Martin S1 Uke
1987 Martin D-18
1983 Guild D-25-CH
1972 Martin D-45 (inherited in '13)
1972 Yamaha FG-180 (retired in '13)
1961 Martin 000-18 (semi-retired in '14)

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 11:27:42 PM »
Congrats again SF. So glad this turned out so well! Thank you for sharing your impressions after some playing time.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 07:19:21 AM »
Stunning guitar. Great taste. But I'd love to hear it against that Bourgeois OM Adi/Macassar. Seems to me to be a bit of a leap from one to the other.

Thanks - they're actually not very different. I would say that the Taylor is a bit louder (after all, it's larger), and slightly drier in tone than the Bourgeois.  In any case, the Taylor scratched the itch that started with the Bourgeois.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
You made some very nice choices with that guitar SF.  I have always thought walnut can be pretty wood for a guitar.  I think Adirondack was a good choice for the walnut, but never really know what it is going to be like till it is in your hands, and play it.  Being walnut that it is how long do you anticipate for it to open up?  Something similar to Koa? 
Two very nice touches you went with in my opinion are the peg head veneer, it looks very nice.  The sound hole was finished off nicely.  The overall color of the guitar went together well.  After playing it for a while now you have been able to determine the tone is what you want, so you must be pleased with your build.  Congratulations SF.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »
  Being walnut that it is how long do you anticipate for it to open up?  Something similar to Koa? 

As a top wood, my experience with walnut has been a very long opening up period, perhaps longer than koa. But with the Adi top, I haven't given much thought to it. My '97 cedar walnut sounded great out of the box. This one sounds wonderful as well, but I'm not sure how it will change over time....