Author Topic: Gig bags??  (Read 7945 times)

amy71

Gig bags??
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:48:21 AM »
I was curious if anyone used a gig bag for their full size Taylor's? I really am worried about scratching or messing up this guitar, but taking the case to lessons is so cumbersome. I miss my big baby gig bag! Can anyone recommend a gig bag or is it just not a good idea? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never had a guitar before, let alone one this nice. That case is heavy!!

Thanks!

Amy
Taylor 810 2015

kprusac

Re: Gig bags??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:16:43 PM »
Taylor actually sells gig bags for all of their models. I would just be a little more careful using one.....like don't throw it in the back seat. As long as you are diligent in using it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Here's the link: https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/bags/gig-bag-tan

2006 414ce
2008 114ce
2012 GS Mini Hog
2014 316ce
2016 GS Mini-e Koa
Others I won't mention........

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:32:17 PM »
The basic gig bag linked above is fine, but I prefer the "hard bag" here:   https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/bags/taylor-hard-bag
It costs more than the basic bag, but is very protective and includes a neck support.  As I understand it this gig bag is made for Taylor by Access, and the comparable Stage 3 bag is available at the same price from Elderly Instruments.   http://www.elderly.com/accessories/cases-gigbags/guitar-cases-gigbags/access-stage-three-hb-guitar-gigbag-94730.htm

I'm also a fan of the TRIC cases, with the nylon outer cover (adds backpack straps and accessory pockets).  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/godin-tric-multiac-steel-ambiance-spectrum-deluxe-guitar-case

Just yesterday I used an old but thickly padded gig bag for my GS koa for a jam session, instead of the heavy brown alligator factory case.  I got it from Musician's Friend as a store brand bag years ago, but don't know if they still have a comparable one anymore.  I have not tried it, but I'm not sure if the GS will fit into the standard Taylor hard bag.  Guess I'd better go try it and see for sure.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:34:36 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »
I was curious if anyone used a gig bag for their full size Taylor's? I really am worried about scratching or messing up this guitar, but taking the case to lessons is so cumbersome. I miss my big baby gig bag! Can anyone recommend a gig bag or is it just not a good idea? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never had a guitar before, let alone one this nice. That case is heavy!!

Thanks!

Amy
Taylor 810 2015

I'm a huge fan of Mono Cases, and take one every summer to guitar camp in the Pacific Northwest.  In fact, I'd say about 15 people have bought them after seeing mine at camp.  They provide much more padding than typical gig bags and give you storage for portable stands, tuners, music, and other tchotchkes.  You can find them here:  http://monocreators.com  Yes, they're pricy, but when you're hauling around a multi-thousand-dollar guitar, it's worth every penny to have piece of mind.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

amy71

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »
Yikes! They are expensive. I think the best thing would be to to get the taylor with the neck support...or buy a used big baby taylor that comes with a bag! Lol.  Thanks for the advice. :)

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »
OK, I took a few minutes and dropped my GS (16-1/4" lower bout width) into the Taylor hard bag, which is officially listed for GA's and dreadnoughts with 16" lower bouts.  It worked fine, but there was just a slight extra bit of resistance as the zipper passed the widest part of the guitar.  It did not seem like anything to really worry about.

One advantage is most Taylor dealers should have one in stock to examine and try out.  They are also cheaper than the Mono, Boulder Creek, Reunion Blues, and Blue Heron bags -- all excellent gig bags, but pricey.  One other thing to note:  the zipper lets out a lot of moisture (but the foam doesn't) so if you are storing the guitar for longer periods and also humidifying, the original hard case will be superior.  I have to re-wet the sponges in the gig bag at least twice as often as compared to hard cases.  I tend to use the hard cases for storage at home and the gig bags for transport to festivals, jams, around guitar camps, etc.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 05:29:44 AM »
Hi Amy,
Plus one on the Taylor hardbag here. I have had it about a year and used it primarily for my 314ce and it works great for your intended purpose of heading to lessons. Should fit your 810 great as it is designed for it.
I wouldn't be crazy about checking it on an airline in that bag, but to carry around in cars/trains/buses etc...it is a nice and cost effective choice.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

greg947

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
I found the Access Stage One gig bag to be of the same quality and protection as the Taylor hard gig bag.  It was just a little more than half the price.  Lots of local music stores in my area were listed as dealers so the same might be true for you.  I found the bag for a dreadnaught fit my GS8 just fine.  It doesn't have a neck support in it, but I contacted the company (http://www.carryaccess.com/) and I was able to buy one for around ten bucks.  The neck support velcros in place and is from the Stage Three bag which is a little sturdier, has more zippered pockets, and costs more.  I have an older Stage Three for my 712.  I use both bags whenever I travel by car.  I have had no problems with protecting my guitars.

Just my experience,
Greg
2007 Taylor GA7
2010 Taylor GSmini
2010 Taylor GS8e
2014 Taylor 712e FLTD
1973 Guild F212

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 10:56:23 AM »
I will echo that the Taylor "hard bag" is a good choice for light protection and careful getting around.  I would never, ever consider a cheaper "gig bag" for an acoustic as it's just far too easy to damage an acoustic.  And you do, indeed, have a very nice one!  But these Taylor hard bags are pretty good.

Another very cost-effective option is a Gator hard bag (which I own and really like) that has truly stiff sides, top and back.  It is likewise very light (it's still a nylon bag with seriously rigid inserts), and offers much better protection than the Taylor bag, IMHO ...though the backpack straps aren't as nice as the Taylor's. Check this out:
http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16117-1562/gl-dread-12
I own the 6-string version, which I think they dropped for the 12-string version.  Personally, I think the 12 is better as the top of my headstock goes right to the top of the case, which I think Gator figured out so they retained the 12 version to give you that space cushion. And these Gators have the best neck protection (in its price range) for an acoustic gigbag I have ever seen.

But if/when you want to get serious about gig-bag and protection, you cannot beat Mono (or Reunion Blues which I have no personal experience with but only hear universal praise for).  My mono bags (for electric, as I have the Gator for the acoustic) are seriously tough bags ...a hem, with a pricetag to prove it.  But for light use, I will be the first to admit the Mono may be overkill for what many need.  BTW, not at all a dumb question!  Glad to have you aboard! :D

Edward
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:03:24 AM by Edward »

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 04:21:22 PM »
Amy, I should mention that I use the Access stage 1 for my Rainsong and the quality is great, but I think maybe not quite as thick of foam protection as the Taylor? I think the stage 3 has the same foam protection but lots more pockets. I too got the neck support from Access to add to the stage 1. I think the stage 1 is also adequate for the trip to a lesson.
Quick history, Access built the "Tayor" bags until Taylor took it in house. My GS Mini hard bag has a Access label as does my hard case for my 2004 314ce. I think you would find the build quality great on whichever one you went with. I called Access directly as there were none near me and they were great, but I was able to grab the Taylor bag at my favorite Taylor dealer with no shipping.
I didn't see you were new hear, welcome
Dave
2004 314ce,
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »
My understanding is that the standard Taylor gig bag and Big Baby gig bag are basically the Access Stage 1, and the hard bag is the Access Stage 3 - thicker padding, a semi-hard shell liner on the front / back, plus the neck support.  Stage 3 / hard bag also has better pockets that zip shut, rather than the Velcro flap style in the basic bag.  I lost of lot of picks and several capos with that unsealed Velcro pocket, which is why I upgraded to the hard bag and zippered pockets.  The original Taylor bag from my 114ce went with a sold Blueridge guitar and my 114 got a the Saga Superior, because of the improved pouches and pockets.

The GS Mini bag is basically a Stage 3 bag, IIRC.  Our Mini sold last weekend, so I cannot go look at the bag anymore.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:34:53 PM by Earl »

greg947

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »
Just a reply to Earl's comment:  I have the GSmini hard gig bag and also the Access Stage One bag. The two bags have the same quality and thickness of padding. The two bags are virtually the same in construction.  The pocket of the Access One does have a zipper just like the GSmini bag.   It just needs the neck support.  I also have a Stage 3 bag, and it seems to have a little heavier padding and does have more pockets. I like both Access bags and think they give more than enough protection for transporting your guitar around town. 
2007 Taylor GA7
2010 Taylor GSmini
2010 Taylor GS8e
2014 Taylor 712e FLTD
1973 Guild F212

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:32:27 AM »
 Taylor bags are pretty darn good. My GS-Mini has traveled for four years in one. Camping trips, flights from Az. to Florida, N.C., Hawaii, and Texas. Not a dent, ding, or scratch on it. Zipper still works perfect after more than a 1000 openings. Actually looks great too, for everything it's been through.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 03:01:31 PM »
Amy,
Probably all the bags mentioned here would do. For some background my oldest GS Mini hard bag has over a million air miles on it. It was made by Access and has a tag in it to that affect. My news Mini bag is less traveled, made by Taylor and has held up equally well. I also took the 314ce and a couple times my 414ce on trips in the Taylor hard bag and it worked well too.
Now, being a pilot my guitar usually rides in the cockpit, so it doesn't get handled by anyone but me and should be similar to your intended use.
I really like the stage 3 by access as well, and would seriously consider that for an 810. Not too expensive for the extra protection and pockets.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Dave
2004 314ce,
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »
WolfPak bags are also very well constructed, even have a built in humidity gauge.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge