Author Topic: John Pearce Arm Rest  (Read 2963 times)

longhorn68

John Pearce Arm Rest
« on: February 09, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »
1. Has anyone installed a John Pearce arm rest? If so pros/cons please.
2. Would you install an arm rest just to cover up damage to the top where your arm rests.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: John Pearce Arm Rest
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »
I have, although I don't have one on any current guitars.  There is lots of discussion on AGF about these.
Pros:  more comfortable for the arm, prevents sweat stains on the top (nitrocellulose finishes, not applicable to Taylor)
Cons:  can be removed later without damage to the finish, but must be done carefully to avoid peeling up the finish

I saw the pictures of your well-used 414 yesterday, and the JP arm rest looks like a great way to hide the big dent in the edge, and much cheaper than $$$ repairs.  I would go for it.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

longhorn68

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:14:37 PM »
Thanks Earl, I just needed to hear someone say what I was already thinking. I've heard it could hurt the resale value, but this 414 is a keeper so that is not a concern for me. Thanks for your input!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:17:53 PM »
My friend Wade Hampton Miller on AGF puts them on all his guitars and mandolins, and generally removes them years later (without incident) if the guitar eventually goes up for sale.  In your case, the armrest kills "two stones with one bird".
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

longhorn68

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:46:51 PM »
Exactly  ;D Just ordered one!

longhorn68

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »
Earl, just curious. What's the cost/feasibility of having the top refinished?

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:06:26 AM »
I've never heard of those, so I just did a quick google.  I don't want to offend you, but my personal opinion is that those are pretty ugly attachments.  I also saw your photo's, and the wear on the edge of your guitar doesn't look too bad to me (at least from the pics).  I mentioned somewhere else on here that I like to see wear and tear on older instruments - it's almost like a badge of honour.

But that's just my feeling - I hope you're happy with your choice.

longhorn68

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
George, I agree with you about the bumps and bruises, they give it character!  My only concern about this spot is to prevent it from getting worse. The picture doesn't really show how bad it is. The finish is worn down to the bare wood. Just don't want it to lead to a crack in the top. Make sense?

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 09:42:12 AM »
Of course it makes sense - it's your baby, and mother knows best :-)  It's still a great looking guitar, whether you leave the "battle scars" exposed or covered up.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 06:09:46 PM »
George, I agree with you about the bumps and bruises, they give it character!  My only concern about this spot is to prevent it from getting worse. The picture doesn't really show how bad it is. The finish is worn down to the bare wood. Just don't want it to lead to a crack in the top. Make sense?

It's really only going to get worse if your arm wear makes it worse.  Seriously, consider whether your style of play will exacerbate this exposed area of the finish; the converse of this is you'll simply be playing with your arm there and it will make precious little difference to an otherwise durable finish.  So much has to do with your playing style which comprises where you rest your arm (not everyone rests it on the same place, ya know ;) ), how often you play, and mostly how aggressive you play. 

If you don't like the look, I get that; pay the dough and address it (remember, Taylor's UV finish is proprietary and just getting it to the factory will entail ugly shipping costs on top of the obvious labor rate).

But if the look ain't that big a deal to you, as it sounds like you're more concerned about physical damage escalating, then I'd say rest easy.  Your guitar is, quite literally, completely sound as is (see what I did there ;) ), requiring nothing to "protect" it.  Bare wood you say?  The entire inside of the guitar is completely bare wood, exposed to all elements save your skin ...and it survives. :)

Your call, of course, but it seems to me you really dig this guitar, and your love for it has caused undue concern for its future well being.  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:12:53 PM by Edward »