Author Topic: 562ce-12-Fret  (Read 3005 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
562ce-12-Fret
« on: February 09, 2016, 08:06:03 AM »
I had to take a double take when I saw the back cove page of the Winter 2016 issue of W & S.  It is a 12 string, mahogany top, GC, Short scale, 12-fret.   I have never seen that combination before.  ;D :D :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

AmericanEagle

• Veteran Member
  • <><
Re: 562ce-12-Fret
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
Yup, I have that magazine too, looking at the back page right now.
Wow, what a guitar!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:51:20 AM »
I had to take a double take when I saw the back cove page of the Winter 2016 issue of W & S.  It is a 12 string, mahogany top, GC, Short scale, 12-fret.   I have never seen that combination before.  ;D :D :o

It was on the postcard of the FYF event in my area, that I got at the end of December. I started a thread about it, I was so surprised by it. The FYF event is on 2/20. If the roads are good, I'm going to go there with the hubby. Maybe I'll get to play it.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

sojiro

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
Taylor had a petting zoo event in my area last night. No talking, no guests, no freebies, just a chance to play the new 2016 guitars and ask the rep questions.

I went because I was interested in this 562 12 fret and the new 322 12 fret, both of which were there (along with some other new models).

The 562 played really, really nicely because of the smaller grand concert body size and the shorter scale length. It is by far the easiest to play 12 string I've ever played, and I own two Taylor 12s.

It sounded about like you'd expect: like a 12 string built on the grand concert body style. By this I mean it's about a loud as a six string grand concert, and the tone is very much like an all mahogany grand concert six string, except there are the octave strings added. Bass and treble are very balanced and neither is overpowering.

In my opinion, this guitar lost a little of the magic that all mahogany guitars can have, probably because of the extra octave strings and double treble strings. Not saying hog is a bad choice on this guitar, but it didn't differentiate itself as much as I thought it would.

I'd like to try out the cedar topped version, which they didn't have on hand. My playing style (primarily fingerstyle) lends itself more to the cedar top, while the hog top is more for strummers and players who do a bit of both strumming and finger picking. (This according to the Taylor rep, and I agree.) The rep said the cedar top would be less loud than the hog top, but more articulate.

I didn't get a chance to play the 562 plugged in. For performers who gig, this is the 12 string to get because it plays so nicely and is lightweight, and lower volume (compared to the larger bodied Taylor 12s) isn't an issue.

I went in there thinking I might want to trade in my spruce/rosewood 16 sized 12 for the 562, and I still might. But I didn't fall in love with the 562 as much as I thought I might, so I'm gonna wait and see if I can play the cedar topped version first.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »
Ooooh feedback for the new 12s spotted out n the wild ...nice, and thanks!

FWIW, I don't "believe" a mahog-topped 12 is for me, though admittedly that's based on my biases wrt mahogany tops and will reserve final judgment when I have it in my hands.  Likewise, I "believe" a cedar-topped 12 is the right-on dead-perfect top for me; can't wait to try one, even though my stellar 12 aint a goin nowhere. 

You brought up an interesting point wrt playing live.  There is, IMHO, far too much emphasis on guitar body size for a guitar that will go through a console/PA.  Frankly, I've found that smaller GAs, and by extension GCs, are better suited for live work; and the bigger (or louder) the band the GC-size shines even more.  For example, while my killer 12's GS body sounds glorious, its size likely contributes nothing to my tone when plugged in and in a mix.  So if there's ever an argument for having a "live-only" 12-string guitar, it's a GC-12F-cutaway!
(did you like how I just convinced myself that "need" prevails over want ;) ).

Edward

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 11:09:29 AM »
You "need" one Edward, I agree.
Susie

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 04:54:30 PM »
Well Done Edward! You WANT one and you know it!

steelerboy329

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:31:49 PM »
I've got a 562 (no cutaway/no electronics) on order now.  Should be about another 30 days or so.  I'll make sure to do a full report when it arrives.
2016 Taylor 814 Brazilian

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »
I got to try the 562ce 12-fret today at the Fit Your Fit event. Loved the size.....very comfortable. I had to keep looking down to remind myself it was a 12-string. Being a fingerstyle player (99% of the time), it was a nice fit. It's tone was very balanced, and it was surprisingly loud (to me), given the body size. I was hoping they'd also have a 552ce 12-fret, but no luck. I love my cedar-topped guitars and that's what I would have preferred to try. But, at least I got to try the 562ce. It was the guitar that a lot of folks were interested in seeing....very popular. One couple, who each just started playing 2 years ago, were interested in a 12-string and wanted to hear it. They made me keep playing, just so they could listen (not going to argue with them). They loved it, as did many others. I also got my first trial of the 614ce. Hard to believe it was maple. Not bright and a nice bass and mid-range. Very nice. Then the crowd started coming in and I let others have their chance, so I slipped away to help my husband decide on a new solid body electric bass. Geez, ever since he started learning bass, I'm no longer the one that gets all the attention at the guitar shop. Just kidding, he's doing well with it and plays right along in our weekly bluegrass jam session. He'll be the one that ends up with a new guitar.....not me.  :'( ( :) for him!)
Susie

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:29:25 AM »
Edward - FWIW, I don't "believe" a mahog-topped 12 is for me, though admittedly that's based on my biases wrt mahogany tops and will reserve final judgment when I have it in my hands.  Likewise, I "believe" a cedar-topped 12 is the right-on dead-perfect top for me; can't wait to try one, even though my stellar 12 aint a goin nowhere. 

I have agree with you on that point.  I don't think the mahogany top 12 string is what I am looking for either. The Cedar top 12 string on the other hand could be a whole different kettle of fish altogether.  I love my 514ce, and it has cedar.  The 12 string cedar/ mahog has been raved about here (TaylorGirl).  Sure hope I get a chance to test one. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

steelerboy329

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:13:27 PM »
Edward - FWIW, I don't "believe" a mahog-topped 12 is for me, though admittedly that's based on my biases wrt mahogany tops and will reserve final judgment when I have it in my hands.  Likewise, I "believe" a cedar-topped 12 is the right-on dead-perfect top for me; can't wait to try one, even though my stellar 12 aint a goin nowhere. 

I have agree with you on that point.  I don't think the mahogany top 12 string is what I am looking for either. The Cedar top 12 string on the other hand could be a whole different kettle of fish altogether.  I love my 514ce, and it has cedar.  The 12 string cedar/ mahog has been raved about here (TaylorGirl).  Sure hope I get a chance to test one. 

This is not make the wait any easier...
2016 Taylor 814 Brazilian