Author Topic: R Taylor BTO sheet  (Read 3265 times)

All Together

R Taylor BTO sheet
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:16:08 AM »
Would anyone by any chance have a copy of the old pdf "BTO" sheet for R Taylor guitars?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: R Taylor BTO sheet
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
I remember it ...in my mind's eye :)
Seriously, I recall the "basic" setups as well as the various build options.  It's my far-from-perfect memory, but I remember "researching" them long ago because I love em so.  What is it that you're looking to find (particularly since they're NLA)?

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:23:18 PM »
i don't remember seeing an options sheet per se, but this is pretty close
https://web.archive.org/web/20091229061451/http://www.rtaylorguitars.com/pdf/priceMenu2008.pdf
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

All Together

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »
Thanks Michael, exactly what I was looking for. I mainly wanted to see if there was any difference in price between Cocobolo and Madagascan Rosewood.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 12:23:58 AM »
Michael comes through with the goods, as always!  ;D

Edward

All Together

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 08:32:11 AM »
Does anyone know the difference between flat and 65-foot radius top geometry?

And modified vs asymmetrical X bracing?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
Michael comes through with the goods, as always!  ;D

Edward
If Michael doesn't know the answer, he'll likely find it. He's a wealth of information and a great asset to our forum. Thanks Michael for all you do.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
a 65 foot radius should be the measurement of the curve (arch) in the top of the guitar.  radius is the difference from the center of a circle to the circumference of that circle.  the top of the guitar should arch the same as that circumference.

the circumference of a circle is pi times diameter.  to ballpark it, diameter is twice the radius, or 130 feet, times 3.14 is 408 feet, times 12 for inches is 4896, divided by 16 for lower bout width is 306.

so visually, it would take about 306 guitars set in a circle side by side to make that 65 foot radius circle of curved tops.  this will result in a very shallow arch.  by way of comparison, a gibson j200 has a built in arch/belly of 28 foot radius on both top and bottom.  top of my j200 has a belly just a hair over 1/8".  it would seem most flat tops develop a bit of a belly too.  so a ballpark figure would seem to give the 65 foot radius a belly of 1/16 of an inch, based on 28 feet being slightly less than half of 65 feet. 

edit> there is a way to calculate the distance from the circumference of a circle to a straight line bisecting an arc of 1/306th of a circle of 65 foot radius.  i would have to research that, so if anyone knows, feel free to add it.  on a personal note, my high school geometry is 50+ years in the past; i feel good to remember what i have remembered about it.

caveat: this is ballpark math combined with a physical measurement of my j200.  actual results may vary.

don
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:20:57 AM by donlyn »
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
Does anyone know the difference between flat and 65-foot radius top geometry?

And modified vs asymmetrical X bracing?

Don covered it.  But if you mean by what's the difference in tone, the RT guys had told me (clearly some time ago!) that the flat top yields a more "vintage" tone, older, as if played in over decades; by contrast the 65' radius is what most call the "modern" voice that is more punchy and assertive.  Same goes with the bracing.

The stock RT that is ordered would have been built with the "modern" voicing by default.  One would have to check off the box for bracing and top to alter it to a mellower "vintage" voice.  FWIW, in these many years I've never seen an RT, new or used, that was not the "modern" voicing ...perhaps a testament of the kind of buyers RT was attracting?  Who knows ...I love em :)

Edward