Author Topic: Anyone see the Taylor on Big Bang Theory last night?  (Read 7964 times)

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
Anyone see the Taylor on Big Bang Theory last night?
« on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »
The logo was covered up but the shape (x14 cutaway) and the 3 knobs are pretty distinctive.  It was a pretty sunburst model.  I don't know the fretboard markers well enough to identify it but it was a 600 series or above.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Anyone see the Taylor on Big Bang Theory last night?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
I saw it too.  It looked like a sunburst 714 to me.  It was immediately recognizable, even with the logo covered.  Maybe an older one with the previous inlays.  And "Raj" can actually play.  No non-player just playacting can grab barre chords that quickly and reliably.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Redwood Tree

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
I never watch that show, But when flipping through channels I stopped when I seen that sunburst. Yea a 714ce for sure don't know if it's engelmann or not .
 Then I turned the channel. Ha!
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 01:22:24 PM »
Yup saw it too. Has to be a specific reason for covering the logo and it bothered me haha. And yes, it does appear Raj can play - possible that's his guitar.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »
It looked like a sunburst 714 to me.  It was immediately recognizable, even with the logo covered... And "Raj" can actually play.  No non-player just playacting can grab barre chords that quickly and reliably.

My wife asked if he was really playing and I said yes.  Just looked too natural to be faking it.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
Knowing what I know about TV production, he may have played the guitar part ahead of time to record it separately, then "lip synched" while actually filming.  But yes, his movements and chord changes looked very natural and authentic.  You don't want a minor playing mistake to cause another whole take of the scene.

I don't fully get why they covered the head stock logo, but at least they used a colorful little design.  Normally they just use a big blob of black gaffer's tape.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »
mid 03 (post Grover tuners) to 11 614ce honeyburst -
a capo could have been used to cover the headstock logo,
but maybe it wasn't worth risking a scuff during handling

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 08:07:25 AM »
I bet they cover up the logo so they don't have to get approval from Taylor.  Or maybe to not give free product placement benefits.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
I'm not sure how to embed a video, but a found a couple of links to videos of the guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8O4tYwKoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROxWaHykYI

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:48:25 AM by Christhee68 »
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

tedtan

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 11:24:31 AM »
Or maybe to not give free product placement benefits.

This is probably the correct answer. TV shows and movies charge companies for displaying their products on the screen, much like a commercial; this is known as product placement. Gibson has been very big on product placements in the past (TV shows, commercials, movies), but Taylor does not seem to be willing to pay for such placements. But then, Taylor is the leading manufacturer of professional/higher end acoustic guitars (outselling Martin, Gibson, Guild, etc.) so they probably don't need to.

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »
Over the years they have regularly mentioned the Cheesecake Factory (where Penny works) various Marvel comics (Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Hulk, etc) and Mountain Dew (apparently Sheldon's favorite beverage) plus other products.  Maybe those companies paid product placement fees.

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 11:19:25 PM »
mid 03 (post Grover tuners) to 11 614ce honeyburst -
a capo could have been used to cover the headstock logo,
but maybe it wasn't worth risking a scuff during handling

You're very close! Pretty sure that's tobacco burst, not light enough to be honeyburst. I had an 814ce tob. burst of that era, would recognize the stain treatment a mile away.

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 11:22:20 PM »

This is probably the correct answer. TV shows and movies charge companies for displaying their products on the screen, much like a commercial; this is known as product placement. Gibson has been very big on product placements in the past (TV shows, commercials, movies), but Taylor does not seem to be willing to pay for such placements. But then, Taylor is the leading manufacturer of professional/higher end acoustic guitars (outselling Martin, Gibson, Guild, etc.) so they probably don't need to.

Yeah, Taylor refused product placement fee. Also, if you look closely at the HD version of the YouTube (I think the first one) you can see a sticker on the back of the headstock, so it's likely a rental.

Great, now I have "one plays with lightning, the other one plays with bones" repeating in my head....  8)

mavr

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »

Yeah, Taylor refused product placement fee. Also, if you look closely at the HD version of the YouTube (I think the first one) you can see a sticker on the back of the headstock, so it's likely a rental.

Great, now I have "one plays with lightning, the other one plays with bones" repeating in my head....  8)

What makes you think that was Taylor at all? It cannot be recognized from a low res photo earlier in the thread.
Maybe it was just a cheapo chinese clone, Tavor Guitars or something like that  ;)