Author Topic: Soon to be NGD! Really Excited !  (Read 5082 times)

icy_wind500

Soon to be NGD! Really Excited !
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:15:11 AM »
I have decided to order a K22 with no electronics or cutaway, upgraded Adirondack bracing, gold gotoh 510 with black buttons and upgraded AA koa.
I have chosen this set of koa because I liked the flames and the sapwood in the middle. It would be 6 weeks into the order on Monday ! Hopefully Taylor would deliver on time. I'm so excited !!!
I hear people say koa is extremely inconsistent and this could potentially a disaster. So I'm taking a big gamble which is adding to the stress factor.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:20:48 AM by icy_wind500 »

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
Re: Soon to be NGD! Really Excited !
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
I hear people say koa is extremely inconsistent and this could potentially a disaster. So I'm taking a big gamble which is adding to the stress factor.

There seem to be a lot of Koa guitars around. I'm sure if there are issues with it, they would have figured that out by now.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
Looks like its going to be beautiful. My K24ce is AA koa with sapwood too! It sounds wonderful, and I 'm sure yours will too. The Adirondack bracing really tops it off. Looking forward to the final pics.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Amos514

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »
Congratulations! That is some beautiful koa. I've never heard or read anything about koa being inconsistent. Taylor being a huge company, I think (from what I've read) that they pretty much get the best koa available. Plus, if you don't like it, they will make it right. Their customer service is excellent. So, I think you'll get an amazing guitar, and I don't really think it's much of a gamble. The only bad part is the wait . . .

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:12:26 PM »
No worries - I believe that Taylor has solved the koa puzzle over the last few years. Prior to that I would have advised against buying a koa-topped guitar without first trying it. But every koa-topped Taylor I've played in the last few years has rendered that axiom obsolete, at least for me. I don't know if it's the bracing or the wood thickness factor, but they seem to be able to coax the very best sound from koa right out of the box.

I purchased a K24 with similar upgrades late last year, and I couldn't be happier with it. Fantastic warmth and brilliance of tone to go with a beautiful aesthetic. I'm very excited for you. Please share pics once it arrives and give us your review.

Congrats in advance.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:21:19 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:17:32 PM »
Nice wood choice, Icy.  Koa is a bit inconsistent as a tonewood, even among Taylor guitars.  It is never awful, but some sets are better tonally than others.  The conventional wisdom is "the more figuring, the more likelihood it will eventually crack, and more variability in tone is possible".  But that is a generalization and must be taken with a grain of salt. 

I've played a few high end Taylor koa guitars (and some other brands too) that were "meh" especially considering the cost.  But I also own two koa Taylors (koa / spruce GS and an all koa GA) which are stellar, among the best guitars in my stable.  Taylor knows what to do with koa, but each piece of wood is an individual.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »
I can't wait to see how this turns out especially after seeing the wood naked like that.
Are you going for the shaded sunburst finish on it? all the prettiest koas wear it you know ;-)

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
Are you going for the shaded sunburst finish on it? all the prettiest koas wear it you know ;-)
Craig
I agree, the edgeburst makes it really classy looking  ;).
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »
I have decided to order a K22 with no electronics or cutaway, upgraded Adirondack bracing, gold gotoh 510 with black buttons and upgraded AA koa.
I have chosen this set of koa because I liked the flames and the sapwood in the middle.

Can you talk more about the selection process for your wood? Looks great!
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 05:06:32 PM »
Nice wood choice, Icy.  Koa is a bit inconsistent as a tonewood, even among Taylor guitars.  It is never awful, but some sets are better tonally than others.  The conventional wisdom is "the more figuring, the more likelihood it will eventually crack, and more variability in tone is possible".  But that is a generalization and must be taken with a grain of salt. 

I've played a few high end Taylor koa guitars (and some other brands too) that were "meh" especially considering the cost.  But I also own two koa Taylors (koa / spruce GS and an all koa GA) which are stellar, among the best guitars in my stable.  Taylor knows what to do with koa, but each piece of wood is an individual.

Have to agree with you, I've witnessed/played very modern K series samples by Taylor that were underwhelming for the price.

However, I can assure you figuring need not lead to sub-par tone, 'cause this gal sings.  8)

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

icy_wind500

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 07:22:37 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments ! I'll definitely post photos once it arrives !

When I made my order Taylor only had four sets of AA Koa left: I was tossing up between 18 and 16 but went with 18 because it looks more flamed. And yes it will definitely have edge burst !

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 11:34:35 PM »
However, I can assure you figuring need not lead to sub-par tone, 'cause this gal sings.  8) 

I should have been clearer, Guitarsan.  Your guitar's wood is pretty consistently flamed.  My koa GS looks a lot like yours on the back and sides (spruce top though).  When I say "highly figured" I mean with lots of curl, swirls, light / dark coloration, etc.  Flamed but fairly straight grain like yours and Icy's selection should not be a big issue. 

I am only passing along what a couple of ukulele and guitar builders have told me over the years.  Very overstated figuring with light and dark streaks can mean localized varying densities of wood.  I actually had one luthier refuse to build with curly mango for me because at the time I lived in Alaska, and he did not think it could tolerate the wintertime dryness after being built in Hawaii, even with proper humidification in the case.  I assured him that my four Martins (then), six Taylor's (at that time) and the Steinway piano were all being properly humidified and well cared for.  He still wanted to use plainer wood, rather than have me come back later complaining about a crack.  I yielded to his judgement and chose a plainer set for the build.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »

I should have been clearer, Guitarsan.  Your guitar's wood is pretty consistently flamed.  My koa GS looks a lot like yours on the back and sides (spruce top though).  When I say "highly figured" I mean with lots of curl, swirls, light / dark coloration, etc.  Flamed but fairly straight grain like yours and Icy's selection should not be a big issue. 

I am only passing along what a couple of ukulele and guitar builders have told me over the years.  Very overstated figuring with light and dark streaks can mean localized varying densities of wood.  I actually had one luthier refuse to build with curly mango for me because at the time I lived in Alaska, and he did not think it could tolerate the wintertime dryness after being built in Hawaii, even with proper humidification in the case.  I assured him that my four Martins (then), six Taylor's (at that time) and the Steinway piano were all being properly humidified and well cared for.  He still wanted to use plainer wood, rather than have me come back later complaining about a crack.  I yielded to his judgement and chose a plainer set for the build.

Ah that other highly figured.  8)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 07:23:57 PM »
Yes, love that figured stuff. As I said, I used to aspire to the conventional wisdom that more figure equals inferior tone, but somehow, Taylor has cracked the code. My 2014 K24 is but one example of how a guitar can look AND sound spectacular:

Here's the back on my 1995 GAKS - also a grand sounding instrument:

My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

icy_wind500

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 03:28:19 AM »
Wow ! Yours is beautiful ! I wish mine would come out as figured as yours !