Author Topic: (Unplanned) NUGD - Cedar/Mahogany 12 String  (Read 9481 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
(Unplanned) NUGD - Cedar/Mahogany 12 String
« on: February 01, 2015, 11:47:22 AM »
I surely didn't expect to be posting this, but let me start by asking....have you ever had a guitar speak to you? Then you know how this goes.
Walked into Elderly to pick up a guitar and a mando (for a friend) that we had set-up work being done on. Thought I'd see how the 12-strings that they had in stock compared to my 150e. Played a few used and one new. One of the used ones was this GS5-12 (2008). Wow! The jangle and brightness was gone, with this cedar/mahogany GS. It has more than enough volume, wonderful bass response, great through the mids, and just enough on the high end to make a well balanced tone. My husband was my "audience" and "judge" during my try-outs. When I played this one, he was blown away. He said it sounded so articulate, but without the jingle (brassy) sound that he was hearing with the others. I have really gotten into fingerstyle on the 12 string, with the 150e (more than I had ever been able to do before). With this GS5-12, my fingerstyle seems easier and is definitely more clear and less twangy (don't you just love my technical terms). My husband said he could hear a definite improvement in my playing and can see me really playing more 12 string fingerstyle with this guitar. I'm excited for that.

The previous owner really babied this guitar, or didn't play it much. It is in mint condition. It was upgraded with Gotoh 510 tuners (black chrome) and a Taylor bone saddle. It even has an inlay TRC from Custom Inlay (it's a turtle...pretty cool). Elderly did a super job with the set-up, a nice low action for fingerstyle, yet perfect for strumming. Frets were dressed and the truss rod checked. I had no intention to walk out with a new (used) 12 string, but I couldn't pass on this one.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:02:31 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

cassidy9914

Re: (Unplanned) NUGD - Cedar/Mahogany 12 String
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »
WOW!... Really nice. Yeah the previous owner must have really taken good care of it. I especially like that cedar top. Does this mean your gonna sell or trade your 150e since this one sounds and responds better.
16 214ce-K Deluxe
17 Academy Series A12
12 Fender FSR DG Black Strat
15 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
16 Fender Squier Classic 50's Strat
17 Gibson LP Tribute

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:09 PM »
WOW!... Really nice. Yeah the previous owner must have really taken good care of it. I especially like that cedar top. Does this mean your gonna sell or trade your 150e since this one sounds and responds better.
Thanks so much.
Yes I am.
Susie

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 12:19:36 PM »
Wow! Congratulations.  I had the same "wow" experience with hog/cedar when I got my 514ce.  Exactly like you say, it tames the sparkle a little, but adds so much depth a warmth.   I could see how that would be really effective on a 12 string in taming all of those octave strings that, like you say, can get too twangy.  Not to mention the Gotoh upgrades as well as the fact that at its age it's been broken in and opened up, all just for you!  Enjoy, Taylorgirl!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

10304cpg

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »
Just awesome! Great story. I would love to hear a roundtrip of this. My 12 string experience has only been the 150e. I thought it was great for the price. Will your 150e be for sale?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »
Just awesome! Great story. I would love to hear a roundtrip of this. My 12 string experience has only been the 150e. I thought it was great for the price. Will your 150e be for sale?
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Yes, I'll either sell or trade in the 150e.
Susie

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »
Well done. I know exactly what you mean, you play something familiar and you've never sounded so good. It's irresistible. I've had to stop going to the store, just in case one starts shouting at me. :)
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

Kmeister

• Scenic Traverse Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
Congrats! If you need to make some space, I would be happy to hold on to your Koa beauty for while......we wouldn't want it to feel neglected!
Kristen
----------
Taylor K26
Teye Electric Gypsy La India
Several "Kristen Made" Acoustics

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 02:14:04 PM »
aren't you glad you ran an errand for your friend?
Music.....the Universal Language!

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
I surely didn't expect to be posting this, but let me start by asking....have you ever had a guitar speak to you? Then you know how this goes.
Walked into Elderly to pick up a guitar and a mando (for a friend) that we had set-up work being done on. Thought I'd see how the 12-strings that they had in stock compared to my 150e. Played a few used and one new. One of the used ones was this GS5-12 (2008). Wow! The jangle and brightness was gone, with this cedar/mahogany GS. It has more than enough volume, wonderful bass response, great through the mids, and just enough on the high end to make a well balanced tone. My husband was my "audience" and "judge" during my try-outs. When I played this one, he was blown away. He said it sounded so articulate, but without the jingle (brassy) sound that he was hearing with the others. I have really gotten into fingerstyle on the 12 string, with the 150e (more than I had ever been able to do before). With this GS5-12, my fingerstyle seems easier and is definitely more clear and less twangy (don't you just love my technical terms). My husband said he could hear a definite improvement in my playing and can see me really playing more 12 string fingerstyle with this guitar. I'm excited for that.

The previous owner really babied this guitar, or didn't play it much. It is in mint condition. It was upgraded with Gotoh 510 tuners (black chrome) and a Taylor bone saddle. It even has an inlay TRC from Custom Inlay (it's a turtle...pretty cool). Elderly did a super job with the set-up, a nice low action for fingerstyle, yet perfect for strumming. Frets were dressed and the truss rod checked. I had no intention to walk out with a new (used) 12 string, but I couldn't pass on this one.

That's so pretty in an old school, classic kind of way....

I think you somewhat fell for what your favored 512 fingerstyle tone applied to a 12 string did for this guitar.  ;D

Excellent choice given you do focus on fingerstyle. I know how you feel, as good as the 150e is for what it is, when you realize you're gonna play 12 string more than you ever thought, your mind is open to "better" whatever that means.

Also, nice upgrades and it's 6 years old, so already starting to open up. Enjoy the heck out of it and congrats!!!  8)
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
Another excellent example of Taylor's wonderful work with mahogany - I love the fact that it has a cedar top to tame those octave strings. The tuners and the TRC are very tasteful mods.  Congrats - let those fingers fly, Susie!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 05:13:25 PM »
Thanks everyone! Such wonderful comments. Taylor sure does these cedar/mahogany guitars right. Yes, I'm loving the warmth of the 500 series and on a 12 string, it just hits it on the mark. I'm loving the 12 string fingerstyle even more now. The 150e paved my way. I just have to stop going to Elderly, this is getting expensive. But, sure is fun  ;D!  I tried to get my mando friend to help pay for it.....didn't work  :'(. Yes, being 6 years old, it really speaks.
And Kristen, NO YOU CAN'T BABYSIT MY K24CE ::)! But, I still think you deserve one from your husband!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:17:29 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Kmeister

• Scenic Traverse Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
And Kristen, NO YOU CAN'T BABYSIT MY K24CE ::)! But, I still think you deserve one from your husband!!

Honestly, I am just looking out for the guitar. You wouldn't want the neighbors to think it was being neglected and call GPS (guitar protective services) on you.....

Working on breaking the husband..... But he is still winning!  :P
Kristen
----------
Taylor K26
Teye Electric Gypsy La India
Several "Kristen Made" Acoustics

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »

Honestly, I am just looking out for the guitar. You wouldn't want the neighbors to think it was being neglected and call GPS (guitar protective services) on you.....

Working on breaking the husband..... But he is still winning!  :P

GPS...had to laugh at that one! HA!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 11:14:28 PM »
Wow, all these 12-string Taylors changing hands lately!  Congratulations, Susie!  That's a nice Custom GS-12!  You don't see many with a Cedar top, though; I've been told (though I'm admittedly skeptical about it) that Taylor is, for lack of a better term, disinclined to build 12-strings with a Cedar top because it's not as suitable as Spruce for dealing with the extra string tension.

I'm starting to think that I'm the only one on the forum who likes a 'jangly-sounding' 12-string; everybody else seems to want one that favors the 'warm' end.  It's getting lonely out in Trebleland... ;)  Still, I'd be curious to hear one with a Cedar top; about the closest I've tried is one with a 'Sinker' Redwood top.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:23:28 PM by timfitz63 »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)