Author Topic: Counterfeit Taylors  (Read 25479 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Counterfeit Taylors
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:34:28 AM »
I stumbled upon several sites that are selling counterfeit Taylors from China. Here's one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-taylor-k24ce.html

I know some may be thinking that you aren't paying much and, who knows, maybe it's a great sounding guitar. My point is, they are passing them off as Taylors (calling them Taylors, putting stickers inside that make it look like they are Taylors, putting Taylor on the headstock, etc.).

This must be where these are coming from that we are seeing on Craigslist (previous threads).

This is just sick, in so many ways.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Frances50

Re: Counterfeit Taylors
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
Counterfeit guitars are nothing new.  Gibson has suffered from the same practice for many years, especially the Les Paul models. 
Frances

Taylor PS56ce 12-string acoustic
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson Doves in Flight (2013)
Gibson ES-335 Dot Natural
Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium (Koa)
Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
Olson 2012 SJ
Epiphone Tommy Thayer Spaceman Les Paul (autographed)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »
Counterfeit guitars are nothing new.  Gibson has suffered from the same practice for many years, especially the Les Paul models.

Whether or not the practice of counterfeiting guitars is new, it's an awful thing to do.  It fools unsuspecting guitarists into believing they're getting an actual Taylor, it taints the brand when they form an impression of the company based on playing a guitar with cheap woods and shoddy construction, and it eats into Taylor's sales.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Maple422

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:43:57 AM »
Looking at the guitars in the link, I'm amazed at how shoddily put together they are. The necks look like 2 x 4's that have been shaved down, the glue drippings, wires exposed through the sound hole, and cold war Soviet style knobs for the electronics. Sadly the uninformed may be fooled into thinking they are getting the real thing.
– Maple422 –

Taylor 422 Maple
Taylor 614e Prototype
Taylor 752 LTD 12-String/12-Fret
Taylor 724ce Koa
T5-S
T5z Road Show LTD Grapevine
GS Mini FLTD Koa
GS Mini Rosewood Plus
Baby-M
Taylor SolidBody Standard

Kmeister

• Scenic Traverse Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »
I understand Gibson embeds a little electronic RFID thing into their Les Pauls so that the factory can scan them to know its legit. I guess they hide them somewhere in the body and move it around so that it's not always in the same place. Wonder if companies like Taylor will start doing the same in response to those counterfeits.
Kristen
----------
Taylor K26
Teye Electric Gypsy La India
Several "Kristen Made" Acoustics

Kmeister

• Scenic Traverse Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 01:08:01 PM »
Whether or not the practice of counterfeiting guitars is new, it's an awful thing to do.  It fools unsuspecting guitarists into believing they're getting an actual Taylor, it taints the brand when they form an impression of the company based on playing a guitar with cheap woods and shoddy construction, and it eats into Taylor's sales.

I won't argue that it's wrong on 100 levels, but at the same time, if you're considering the purchase of a Taylor guitar, a quick search of the Taylor or a GC website *should* raise a red flag.... nothing Taylor sells is in that price point. A buyer who doesn't stop to question that probably also falls for the long lost African cousin millionaire scams....
Kristen
----------
Taylor K26
Teye Electric Gypsy La India
Several "Kristen Made" Acoustics

GreysSonicPlayground

• Pickin' grinnin' writing and singing
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1771195904.html?productId=1771195904&productSubject=Hot-selling-High-Quality-Spruce-Solid-6-Strings-Taylor-K24CE-Natural-wood-Acoustic-Guitar-built-in&tracelog=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail
Look through the pix on this one you'll see the truss rod access in the soundhole.

I'd notify Taylor. But they probably have lawyers pursuing these matters already.
2010 414CE
And a pair of happy hands.

greyssonicplayground@gmail.com

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
 Counterfeit Taylor?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:16:25 PM »

I won't argue that it's wrong on 100 levels, but at the same time, if you're considering the purchase of a Taylor guitar, a quick search of the Taylor or a GC website *should* raise a red flag.... nothing Taylor sells is in that price point. A buyer who doesn't stop to question that probably also falls for the long lost African cousin millionaire scams....

Kristen,

I completely agree with you that people should perform their due diligence before buying a guitar.  You would.  I would.  And pretty much everyone using this forum would.  But many people out there are complete novices, and I suspect they are the ones who are buying these guitars thinking they're genuine Taylors, especially when the sellers of this stuff are giving every indication that the stuff is real.  Gullibility isn't a crime.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 03:38:11 PM »
bet they play like crap and those knobs i got smaller on my amp  ;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:40:50 PM by doctorinthehouse »
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

ronmcc4

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
On another forum I saw a post from a wife wanting to buy her husband a guitar for Christmas. She knew almost nothing about guitars.  That's exactly they type of buyer who would fall for a fake like these.  Sad.  I'd like to think this can be stopped but I don't know how that can be done.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

Byrdsman

• Carpe donut
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
On another forum I saw a post from a wife wanting to buy her husband a guitar for Christmas. She knew almost nothing about guitars.  That's exactly they type of buyer who would fall for a fake like these.  Sad.  I'd like to think this can be stopped but I don't know how that can be done.

It's simple. We bomb the factory making them.  ;) Seriously, I used to own several lefty Rickenbackers and that company is very aggressive about going after chinese fakes. I hope Taylor is just as aggressive.
Taylor 414ce
Taylor 524ce
Taylor GS Mini
Taylor 114ce

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Did anyone notice that the spruce top k's were listed as K24CE Ha! >:( >:( >:(
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »
Did anyone notice that the spruce top k's were listed as K24CE Ha! >:( >:( >:(
Yes, I did. That was one of many things I found funny. I only searched for K24ce.....I didn't even go so far as checking for other counterfeit models.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »
they had a koa 1 bet its not koa  :D
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp