Author Topic: What exactly are you sitting on?  (Read 6567 times)

Tarekith

• Luxembourg Mastering Engineer
    • Artist Website
Re: What exactly are you sitting on?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »
I just use a comfy stool I bought on sale and then I made a footrest at the right height for it.  A lot of the dedicated guitar stools I tried just weren't comfortable for me, at least this one has a nice thin layer of memory foam to sit on.  Helps my back for long sessions.  :)

Make a great capo and tuner holder too.
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com
2013 814ce, All Cosmo Black Hardware.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »
the local shop i used to frequent has one of these
http://www.soundseat.com/models.php#gasguitar

pretty nice 8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

lonestrat

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
Try this
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »
I looked around and settled on an old office chair with the right arm removed like Captain Jim.  Easily adjustable and already paid for in my case.

I looked at the pick n glider and they are spendy but like taylor girl said, when buying a piece of furniture don't scrimp, you'll have it a long time.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 06:15:58 AM »
I looked at the pick n glider and they are spendy but like taylor girl said, when buying a piece of furniture don't scrimp, you'll have it a long time.
I just looked. We've had our Pick N' Gliders for 13 years and they still look new. We got two, because when a jammin' buddy comes over, they get to use one too. Also a perfect height for my other instruments. No arms for use with my dulcimers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:19:53 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »
I absolutely love my Pick'N'Glider.  Right leg height, good back support.  I play for long sets and am never uncomfortable in the Pick'N'Glider.  I got the black leather.  Have had it and used it every day for five years.  It's still like new. 

Okay, it ain't the most stylish piece of furniture in my house, but, except for the bed, it is definitely the most used and appreciated.  And since it's in my music room, no one else has to see it.

Cheers,

Bill

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 12:15:54 PM »
Just wanted to provide an update on The Great Chair Decision:  I decided to go with a Pick 'N Glider, relying on the many favorable reviews I read.  I was a little anxious about purchasing it, since a chair is a very personal thing, and I couldn't try it out ahead of time.  So, I took a leap of faith, ordered it, set it up last night, played for about an hour, and ... I'm loving it.  Very, very comfortable.  Very conducive to good posture.  And very likely to keep me playing longer than I would have sitting on the sofa, slouched over in my usual position.

Aside from those virtues mentioned above, I was momentarily distracted when I opened the box and couldn't find any of the bolts and washers that are necessary to put the chair together, and what immediately came to mind are some of the reviews I read that said that the hardware had likely fallen out of the box during shipment.  Then I discovered that the company had already fastened the bolts into the seat assembly, preventing them from floating around loosely in the box.  That was a nice, simple fix to what was likely an annoying problem for previous purchasers.

From the time I opened the box, the chair took about five minutes to assemble.  The only tool required is a socket wrench (or, really, pretty much any kind of wrench would work) to finish turning the bolts after I hand-tightened them.  I just tried to be careful not to over-torque the bolts.

Two negatives:   1) And this one is highly subjective -- is the appearance.  The Pick 'N Glider is designed in an early-Americana style ... which really isn't my thing, but I was willing to overlook that in order to get a comfortable chair that I could sit in every day for at least an hour at a time.  This chair does that, and does it perfectly.  My wife (a non-guitarist) sat in the chair, pronounced it wonderful, then promptly said, "We can reupholster the cushions later."  And 2) The base of the chair features two thin strips of wood stapled into it.  This confused me, because they're not shown in the illustration and not mentioned in the directions, so I wasn't sure whether to remove them or leave them alone.  Were they functional to the operation of the chair or there merely for shipping purposes?  Since the wood strips are unfinished and look like no other wood on the  chair, in the end, I decided to remove them, which required prying up the staples with a flat screwdriver, then twisting them out with a pair of pliers.  I think I made the right choice.  The company could save a bit of anxiety by  assuming their target audience is as unsure and fumble-fingered as I am.

Given that the many (and very important) positives far outweigh the two minor negatives, I'd rate the Pick 'N Glider a 9 out of 10.  And, especially when used with my little foot rest, I feel like I'm in the perfect position for playing the guitar.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
Happy for you, Dennis. I love my Pickin' Gliders and I'm not surprised by your review. They are comfy, give perfect posture and also allow you to sway with the music, if you want to. Enjoy!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

ronmcc4

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »
I've got a Pickin Glider on my Amazon wish list in case anyone feels overly generous.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N