Author Topic: Grand Auditorium vs. Grand Symphony  (Read 27055 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Grand Auditorium vs. Grand Symphony
« on: October 30, 2014, 11:58:46 AM »
I paid a visit to Elderly Instruments this past weekend and tried out a few GS's. I was pleasantly surprised on how comfortable they were to play and how well they sounded. I fell in love with a K26ce. I'm a 99% finger style player, but was impressed by the GS for my type of playing. I thought size-wise there was a bigger difference between the GA and the GS, so I mentally ruled out the GS for me. Now, I'm intrigued. Anyone want to share their thoughts about the comparison of these two?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:27:29 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Grand Auditorium vs. Grand Symphony
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
All things being equal, I frankly prefer the size of the GA from a comfort standpoint; the lower bout of the GS is just slightly bigger, and the corner of the guitar tends to dig more into my upper arm muscle.  I also prefer it from a sonic standpoint too -- with one caveat...

I know Taylor promotes the GS as their strumming guitar -- which is primarily how I play, so you'd think I'd be drawn to it over the GA.  But in the 6-string version, the GS sounds a bit too 'boomy' to me.  Not really 'boomy' in a bad sort of way; just a touch too much bass response for my taste.  I can almost come to terms with it -- until I play a GA, and everything just sounds more balanced to me.  My brother has one of the BR-VIII guitars (Cedar/Claro Walnut), and I personally find it a too bit 'warm' for my taste -- which I attribute to both the wood combination and the GS body.  I've played other Walnut guitars with various types of tops (['Sinker'] Redwood, Walnut, and Spruce) -- all in other body styles (GC, GA, and GO respectively) -- and my impression of Walnut was a bit more favorable in the smaller-bodied guitars.

Then I move on to a 12-string; and suddenly, I get it with the GS.  I think I tried one GA 12-string when I was buying my first Taylors, and remember [literally] wrinkling my nose at it.  Then Joe at Empire Music handed me a 656ce, and I knew I'd found my [first] 12-string.  The extra bit of bass from the GS body just seems to compliment the octave strings perfectly, particularly with the Maple body.  My K66ce and Custom GS-12 -- same kind of thing.  And when speccing it out, I decided to spring for the armrest on my Custom GS-12 to mitigate the minor discomfort of the lower bout.

So my short answer to your question, Susie, is:  I like nearly any GS-bodied 12-string... But prefer a GA-bodied 6-string...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:25:38 PM by timfitz63 »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 01:15:02 PM »
Good feedback...thanks Tim. Hmmm.......K24e.......
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:21:51 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »
When I was shopping for a new guitar recently, I went back and forth between a 314ce (GA) and a 316ce (GS).

I really loved the 316ce. It sounded nice, fat, and full. The 314ce sounded great, too but I went with the 314ce for 2 reasons:

1) The 314 (GA) uses light strings and the 316 (GS) uses medium. I’m sure the beefier strings on the GS play a big part in the beefier tone, but I wanted to stick with lights so I went with the GA

2) I was buying used, and since there are a lot more 314’s out there, I was able to get a better deal on one of those. I didn’t see many used 316’s since that model has only been out a couple of years.

One thing I did not keep in mind was that a Taylor with medium strings still plays easier than just about any other guitar with lights on it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:35:14 PM by Christhee68 »
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »
Size difference: approx. 3/8" in the lower bout ...which is to say, nearly indistinguishable.
Tone difference: significant (think of the overall difference in surface area of the soundboard and air volume that "mere" dimensional change makes and you get it)
GS is better?  Depends on the guitar, your ears, and your preferences.

For 12-strings, I love the GS and think it is the perfect body (and their old jumbo bod, natch!).  But for 6-stringers, the difference in body changes the voice considerably, and bigger or smaller on the identical build can easily make the difference between one you kinda like to one you love; and either way, too!  I've personally found some GS bods too boomy and unappealing, or GA bods a bit thin and lacking bottom, while others are suited perfectly where size, woods, and build all come together for "that voice" you fall in love with.

So there's my justification for "it depends."  Vive la difference!  :)

Edward

scusu

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
I concur with Tim regarding the lower bout digging into the bicep. That's from a sitting position which is how I play. The armrest can fix that but it's a lot more $$$. I got a K26e for it's warm strumming sound (and looks) but it's also nice picked; however, my eir/sit (ss/sc) GA is far more comfortable for me. I've been purposely playing the K26e more and am getting more acclimated to it. When I switch back to the GA now it feels like an electric!

It's nice to have multiple guitars so you have the right scratcher for every itch. I still need a GC or 12 fret to round out the stable.
Steve

2014 K26e
2013 Taylor BTO GA EIR/SIT
1980 Sigma DR-28
Fishman Loudbox Mini

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
Good feedback...thanks Tim. Hmmm.......K24e.......

Please don't think I'm trying to talk you out of a K26ce, Susie!  Either guitar body can be used -- successfully -- as a strummer or a finger-picker.  My brother plays more finger style -- yet he bought the GS-bodied BR-VIII because (aside from wanting the cool, matching Taylor amplifier -- not kidding!) he liked what he heard (the combination of woods with the guitar body) when he played it.  As a strummer, I opted for a GA-bodied BR-V -- largely for the same reasons (I liked what I heard when I strummed it -- OK, and the cool, art-deco aesthetics... and the cool, matching Taylor amplifier... ;)).  But if you believe the pure sales pitch from the Taylor marketing folks, we each wound up with the other's guitar, based solely on our primary playing styles (the GS is more suited to strumming, and the GA a better finger-style guitar)...  There's so much more to choosing between these guitars than just what end-user the designers had envisioned...

It's best to play them (K24ce vs. K26ce) side-by-side if you're on the fence.  Edward makes a very good point about the small difference in the linear dimension of the lower bout translating into a considerable difference in soundboard area and body volume.  You may want more bottom end from your Koa guitar (even if you're finger picking it most of the time) than I want from my Koa guitar (when strumming it) -- in which case, the K26ce is your guitar.
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
I paid a visit to Elderly Instruments this past weekend and tried out a few GS's. I was pleasantly surprised on how comfortable they were to play and how well they sounded. I fell in love with a K26ce. I'm a 99% finger style player, but was impressed by the GS for my type of playing. I thought size-wise there was a bigger difference between the GA and the GS, so I mentally ruled out the GS for me. Now, I'm intrigued. Anyone want to share their thoughts about the comparison of these two? What GS is your favorite and why?

Koa! Koa! Koa! Got ya thinkin', Susie?  ;D

I've seen many play a GS for fingerstyle, it's not surprising. To me, Bob decided he wanted a Jumbo replacement that was, to your point, more comfortable. But still have that piano-like bass and more volume and some sustain, which is great for fingerstyle, certainly for bluegrass, but applicable for others. I haven't considered the GS mainly because Taylor recommends medium strings, and I like the ease of playing too much that I favor light strings over tone for playability, hence the GA works for me. You might be fine with medium strings. I just don't play enough now - they're too much work for me. Just wait until I retire though, that may all change as I get more time to play.....

You currently have a GC, a GA, and a DN. So....you dont' have a GS. Maybe reason enough? And you know that Koa looks so fine....tempting you yet?

Scott

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »
Thanks everyone, so far! Lots of good information to think about. One thing that I think is important is the light vs. medium strings. I do prefer the lights (except on my minis). Also, if a couple of you guys are finding the GS a bit uncomfortable on the arm, I'm likely to have the same issue. I'm a tall gal (5'9"), but it's definitely something to consider. My husband sure liked the K2x's when I showed him the pics. I told him it's too much money (I'm my worst enemy when finding reasons NOT to buy something). But, he still spoke positively about it. I think he's eyeing a new (larger) maple syrup evaporator, so maybe he feels that I should get something special too. Sure would be awesome to have in my stable. Based on the responses so far, I will do more playing at the store and see how I feel. Problem is, I went and retired with my husband and now we live 3 hours away, instead of 1/2 hour like before. Darn it. But, we do get down there for one reason or another on a regular basis.
Susie

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
Koa! Koa! Koa! Got ya thinkin', Susie?  ;D
....tempting you yet?

Yes, tempting!
Susie

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »
I owned a GS8 and play a lot of finger style.  No matter how much I tried to convince myself it was the right guitar, I always felt I had to pluck a little too hard finger picking and that when I wanted to dial it back a bit and play more gently finger style wise, the bottom would fall out and it would be tough to hear.  My 514ce is quiet different, albeit it has the cedar top and that helps, too, but I just think there's more finger picking dynamics to be had with a GA.  It's more responsive to a softer touch and you can still hammer it as well.  So, that's my two cents.  Hope it helps.
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:26:08 PM »
Yes, that helps. I'm beginning to think (based on the responses) that the GA is still a better fit for me (I know I absolutely love my 414). I will keep all these things in mind as I try out the Taylor koa's. I'm still impressed with the tone and the beauty. The 32x-k FLTD's were very very nice. They had a nice tone, different from what I have.
Susie

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 06:28:53 PM »
You asked for opinions, Susie, so here goes:

I generally prefer the GA size, and I'm a big NFL lineman-sized guy with long arms.  I don't play dreads anymore because of shoulder injuries.  Most of the guitars in my signature are GA's - largely because they were acquired before the GS body shape came out, and I like the balance of tone that body size provides.  But the size difference with a GS is not dramatic when holding it.  If you can hold a GA with comfort, you can also probably hold a GS too without problems. 

For instruments like all koa and 12 string, some extra bass power helps to better balance things out, and the larger GS body seems to do the trick nicely.  Remember that koa tops will take some time to open up and will add some low-end as they age a bit.  Koa starts out fairly bright and develop richness over time.

At a Find-Your-Fit event about three weeks ago, I had the chance to play the K24, K26 and the K28 side by side in a reasonably quiet room.  I liked the K26 best for overall balance of tone.  The GO size K28 felt too big for me.  But they are all awesome.  None of them are bad, so choose the one that speaks to you best.  I'm a 75% fingerstyle player (nails only) with some flatpick rhythm strumming thrown in when jamming with others.  Because I play Hawaiian slack-key style a fair amount, koa instruments are special to me -- both guitars and ukes.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
Thanks everyone, so far! Lots of good information to think about. One thing that I think is important is the light vs. medium strings. I do prefer the lights (except on my minis)...

Keep in mind as you're comparing GA- and GS-bodied guitars, that (as Michael pointed out in this thread) the overall string tension using medium-gauge strings on the GS Mini is effectively the same as the light-gauge strings on your 414ce.  Since a K26ce has the same scale length as your 414ce, but medium-gauge strings, the overall string tension will be higher.  Now, having said that, I don't find it objectionable; Taylor's Dreadnought 6-strings also come with medium-gauge strings.  After playing for a bit, it will cause some hand/wrist fatigue compared to the light-gauge strings; but if you can deal with the string tension on your 150e, you'll be fine with a K26ce.

... Also, if a couple of you guys are finding the GS a bit uncomfortable on the arm, I'm likely to have the same issue. I'm a tall gal (5'9"), but it's definitely something to consider...

I don't think "uncomfortable" is quite the word I'd use to describe it; I mean, it's not like the guitar is cutting off the circulation to my hand or anything.  With the GS body (sans armrest), I'd just call it a bit more fatiguing when compared to the GA body; that's all.

Given your height, and that you've already test-driven a GS-bodied guitar and liked it, I don't think you'll have any long-term discomfort if you choose the K26ce over the K24ce.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 09:31:17 PM »
Thanks everyone. Looks like some more test driving for me. This is all good information.
Susie