Author Topic: Favorite Recording Microphones?  (Read 1095 times)

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
Favorite Recording Microphones?
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »
What are your favorite microphones to record acoustic guitar?
I'm in the midst of deciding which small diaphram condensor mic to get to replace my cheap Samson C02s. Looking to upgrade to a more accurate mic to capture these beautiful Taylor's that keep showing up in my music room!

I've narrowed it down to 5. In the running at this point are the Shures: KSM137, KSM141, SM81. The Neumann KM184 and the Beyerdynamic MC930.
I'll be recording a baritone, a 12 stringer, GA and GO bodies.
Any input would be appreciated.

After exhausting all of the stereo mic configurations, XY, ORTF etc....I've decided that one good small diaphram condensor pointed at the neck/body joint is a really good way to record an acoustic these days. Stereo can be nice but it doesn't always image correctly when listened to on a mono system. You also have to deal with the phasing issue when using multiple mics. When recorded in mono with just the one mic, I have a much easier time panning the acoustic in the mix and it always translates on a mono system.

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
Re: Favorite Recording Microphones?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »
Like you, my experience with a (matched) pair of small diaphragm mics in stereo setting is not very convincing. I have a pair of Rødes NT5's but record more and more with my NT1A which I sometimes blend with the pick-up. Wouldn't you be better off with one large diaphragm mic?
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
Re: Favorite Recording Microphones?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
The large diaphram condensors are okay but tend to have some undesirable artifacts when capturing acoustic guitar from up close. They also seem to capture a high end that is un-natural sounding. Close up on an acoustic guitar the small diaphram condensors seem to be more accurate on the high end, faster on the transients and sound overall more natural.

If you have a great sounding room...then you can back off a large diaphram condensor in figure 8 configuration to capture more of the room, then they sound a lot better on acoustic than when you place the mic within 12 inches of the guitar. I don't have a great sounding room so I have to place my mics up close and the small diaphram mics seem to be a better choice in this case. Now I'm leaning towards the KM184 from Neumann. That is the mic they use on the Acoustic Letter when recording their reviews. That mic consistently sounds great on all the different guitars they review. The run it 12 inches away pointed at the 12th fret with no processing or special mic pre.