Author Topic: Fingerboard care?  (Read 1550 times)

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
Fingerboard care?
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »
I have not done anything to my GA3 fingerboard since buying it new two years ago.  I do wipe down the strings evrry time I play and always play with clean hands.   Don't see anything on the Taylor website about care.  Do I need to do anything to it?
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
Re: Fingerboard care?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:23:54 AM »
I found the video: http://www.taylorguitars.com/media/restringing-your-taylor-guitar

Give Rob time to remove the strings first. :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:12 AM »
Also, the latest Wood and Steel had a good article about changing strings, which addressed the fretboard.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »
The best fingerboard "care" you can offer is proper relative humidity.  Anything beyond that really is just to satisfy the owner and does nothing for the "well being" of fingerboards.  OTOH, there are a few folks whose hands sweat, and/or whose sweat is fairly acidic: these are the folks who likely would benefit from periodically removing gunk from their boards.  Barring that and proper humidification, the fingerboard requires no real care ; though some folks do like to make sure they stay pristine for aesthetic purposes, as well. :)

Edward

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
I have not done anything to my GA3 fingerboard since buying it new two years ago.  I do wipe down the strings evrry time I play and always play with clean hands.   Don't see anything on the Taylor website about care.  Do I need to do anything to it?

Can't see it so I dunno. . . ;)

But me, I hate seeing those little oval grunge marks on my fretboard (even with my fairly dry fingers) so I take some XXXX steel wool (the finest) and some baby oil/mineral oil/whatever and clean that stuff off as needed when I change my strings. Rub lightly parallel to the edge of fretboard (don't saw back and forth across in line with the frets) and you won't leave marks. The steel wool will polish your frets up nicely as well and the oil makes the fretboard look like new once you've buffed it off.

Good luck with it!
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Tarekith

• Luxembourg Mastering Engineer
    • Artist Website
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:39:24 PM »
I found the video: http://www.taylorguitars.com/media/restringing-your-taylor-guitar

Give Rob time to remove the strings first. :)

They made a more recent video for Elixer that I feel offers a few improvements over the video on the Taylor site:

http://youtu.be/plU27QJBKn8

I usually only clean my fretboard with 0000 steel wool and boiled linseed oil every 2-3 string changes.  If nothing else, it just makes the fretboard LOOK a lot nicer IMO. 
Erik M.
InnerPortalStudio.com
2013 814ce, All Cosmo Black Hardware.

Wayne R

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
Been using Fret Doctor on all my guitars with unsealed (unfinished) fretboards for 10+ years.  I apply it once a year.

Wayne
14 712ce
06 D1A