Author Topic: HD Light strings  (Read 8030 times)

walter_dh

Re: HD Light strings
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
As wrote in another thread, my 312CE ships with these strings and Taylor strongly recommend to use them in order to get the perfect setup/tone.
I am skeptical about the gauge: too heavy for my fingers and my syle, and what about the treble tones?

In Italy their price is crazy (I won't post the average price because it is not permitted); so i bought some sets in the USA : I should receive them in the next days, and I will share my opinon.
The time I kill is killing me.

Bo

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
Is Elixir the only string manufacturer that is selling a set of strings in this 'HD Light' hybrid configuration?  I would like to try out some other brands with a set of .013 -.053's, but don't see that anyone else is selling such a set.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
To my surprise, I find myself enjoying the HD Lights on my 2011 GC BTO.  I hadn't played on coated strings on any of my guitars in the last several years, but find playing these requires no additional effort played fingerstyle.  And the additional power and sustain is worth any miniscule extra effort.  A very balanced set of strings.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 02:10:39 PM »
I love 'em. Put a set on my posh, new to me, GA12 KOA so although I had nothing to compare them to ,cos it came with the original (three year old) strings I really like them. As JT said, very balanced, just taking off a little brightness and adding more overall warmth.
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 02:44:40 PM »
I'm really liking them on my new K24ce. A nice balanced tone.....pairs well with the koa.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

John

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »
I just bought a set of John Pearse strings on a whim since one well-known online dealer really praises them.  Not sure which guitar I'm going to use them on - everything I have has newish strings at this point.  Just experimenting.
I see you have a 512c-12 fret. I use the John Pearse P/B lights on my 512ce-12 fret and absolutely love them. I play finger style mostly with some strumming with finger nails. I haven't tried the HD's yet but when I changed the strings from the factory elixir set that came with the guitar to the JP's I was extreemly happy with the results. The rich lows and mids all work for me.
2013 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
Takamine 132sc - Classical
Fender Strat

ronmcc4

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Is Elixir the only string manufacturer that is selling a set of strings in this 'HD Light' hybrid configuration?  I would like to try out some other brands with a set of .013 -.053's, but don't see that anyone else is selling such a set.

I think (and I could be wrong) this particular set is just from Elixr. There are some dealers where you can literally build your own set with single strings though.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 08:29:51 PM »
I have not taken the time to reference all the string gauges, but a thought has occurred to me more than once.  I use hybrid "bluegrass sets" (medium gauge bass, light gauge trebles) a lot for lowered slack-key tunings.  You could maybe buy one set of medium and one set of light, and cobble together your own HD Light-ish set by mixing and matching. 

Also take a look at the GHS Laurance Juber "true medium" sets.  Those sets use some heavier middle strings to balance tension.  I need to do some searchign of specifications, though.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »

I think (and I could be wrong) this particular set is just from Elixr. There are some dealers where you can literally build your own set with single strings though.

I got a few sets of Cleartone "Grand Light" strings which are 13-53. Haven't put any on a guitar yet but that is the plan.
I forget which online retailer I got them from but they are the same gauge as the HD Lights from Elixir.

walter_dh

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 07:02:16 AM »
Hi guys,

yesterday, during the weekly rehearsal with my acoustic band, I tried a set of Elixir HD .13-.53 on my 312CE (which originally comes with those strings), and I'd like to share my opinion.

The first thing that I noticed is that they are super heavy. I regularly use Martin .11-.52 or Ernie Ball .12-.54 gauge strings, so I'm pretty accustomed to that kind of tension, but man, Elixir HD are like telegraph poles under my fingers! These strings require unusual strenght and effort to properly form and play bar chords (Bb, first fret is a nightmare :)), so at the end of the rehearsal, my left hand's fingers were  very tired. I was in totally discomfort while playing songs like Amy Winehouse's Rehab and Alan Parsons Project's Eye in the sky
The second consideration is about my guitar's set up. My luthier has recently set up my Taylor while I was using .11-.52 strings. After installing the Elixir HD, I suspect that my neck needs attention again: the relief seems to be changed.

Unplugged sound. Theoretically, hevier gauge = louder volume. Theory, and not always true. When strumming an open chords progeression in a typical pop rock tune, Elixir HD strings perform a good volume and a brilliant tone. But when it comes to softer tones, for instance during an easy fingerstyle part, well, my feeling is a bit different: the heavier gauge means also a stronger tension between the tuners and the saddle; the increased traction contributes to decrease the soundboard's ability to vibrate when the strings are plucked. As a consequence, the soundboard's ability to resonate is somehow affected and the output volume of the single strings is not as loud as expected  :( .

Plugged in sound. As some guys here on the forum wrote some weeks ago, these string feature a lot of treble tones, which is not a bad thing, but you have to modify your equalization and tone to re create the balanced tone you were used to. After some attempts I managed to set my guitar's and amp's knobs and get a good , balanced, rich sound. Again, I had to re-calibrate my right hand's  dynamic / strenght to emphasize or soften certain nots and chords, but the sound is satisfactory.

Duration. Too early to say something. I decided to clean the strings every 2-3 songs and at the end of the session. I will post you with updates. I hope that these strings last more than their competitors.

Price. A complete nonsense, specially in Italy. Prices are forbidden here but, you know, some parts of my rigs are cheaper than a set of Elixir :-(

Final considerations.
Pros: brilliant, rich sound, also after 2 hours playing with my infamous reverse Mida touch.
Cons: too heavy for my playing style and (IMHO) for a guitar soundboard/top. Too much treble tone.  Expensive and hard to find. Cheap packaging (D'Addario and Ernie Ball strings come in plastic envelopes which preserve metal from oxydation).
Will buy them again? Probably not, but Taylor says: "use them", so I did.

Hope you find this review useful
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:05:06 AM by walter_dh »

ronmcc4

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »
I have a set of John Pearse strings that are highly touted by Shoreline Music to try on a couple of my guitars when the next string change comes.  It won't be long on the 512 either - the Elixers that are on there now are getting pretty fuzzy. I've been using the HD Lights as Taylor recommended but decided to experiment a little.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »
I have a set of John Pearse strings that are highly touted by Shoreline Music to try on a couple of my guitars when the next string change comes.  It won't be long on the 512 either - the Elixers that are on there now are getting pretty fuzzy. I've been using the HD Lights as Taylor recommended but decided to experiment a little.

I love JP strings.  Noted luthier Michael Millard of Froggy Bottom puts JP 80-20 strings on all his guitars, stating they do the best job of producing the tone he is trying to achieve with his guitars .  I've been using JP PB lights on my other guitars for years, although I really like the Elixir HD lights on my 12-fret GC--for now.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

cassidy9914

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
same for my 312. Taylor factory set up with HD's and gauge wise not much different than my Mahog mini. Tho My RW mini came with 13-56 and noticed the difference in thickness especially at the bass side. Anyone try slinky acoustics? I might try them next on my RWe.
16 214ce-K Deluxe
17 Academy Series A12
12 Fender FSR DG Black Strat
15 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
16 Fender Squier Classic 50's Strat
17 Gibson LP Tribute

walter_dh

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 05:35:06 AM »
same for my 312. Taylor factory set up with HD's and gauge wise not much different than my Mahog mini. Tho My RW mini came with 13-56 and noticed the difference in thickness especially at the bass side. Anyone try slinky acoustics? I might try them next on my RWe.

I used to use Slinky Acoustic 12-54 months ago. Brilliant tone at the biginning, then a kind of "plastic" feeling after a few hours. Not a remarkable experience. I prefer to replace the strings frequently than installing coated strings which last longer but have a weird tone...

Moosedog

• Everheart Band
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »
A definite fan here.  My 714ce sassafras came strung with hd lights and I have switched to them on my other guitars.  Excellent balance, projection and sustain.  Love the "fatter" sound from the high E string especially.  Great feel on the fingers or with a pick.  I play a 1/2 step down and these strings handle it very well.

Moosedog
'14 714ceLTD Sassafras ES2
'13 528 First Edition w/Lyric
'12 712e 12fret Sunburst ES1.3
'08 T5-S Sunburst