Author Topic: HD Light strings  (Read 8034 times)

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
HD Light strings
« on: September 22, 2014, 04:10:47 PM »
Finally changed over to Elixir HD PB lights on my custom GC, after 2+ years of John Pearse PB Lights .  The guitar seems louder--more present--with even more sustain than before, but I detect a bit less richness and warmth.  What have others noted after changing to HD's?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Bluepoet

Re: HD Light strings
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »
I put them on my GS5.  It took off the brightness of the high strings, and a slight loss of bass, but the tonal range is more balanced, overall, than I had with the regular PBs.  I like them, but may go back to PB mediums, if I end up missing that bass too much.  For now, I'm fine with them... 8)

Cigar36

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
I also tried them and liked them at first, but then playing finger style did't like the feel.  Will not buy them again.

terrypl

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:30 PM »
Probably the only set of strings that I can say had a dramatic effect on the tone of a guitar. I have experimented with different strings with every guitar I've owned, and all have some subtle effect. But the HD Elixir immediately brought a bell-like ringing tone to my rosewood/spruce GA BTO. Maybe not as warm as other strings, so it depends on what you're seeking. I find HD lights to be louder, clearer and more resonant. Maybe it's the rosewood, but the guitar still has plenty of bass, just a more pronounced ringing bass, but not as warm. I'm not saying this a bad thing. I love the tone, but I admit that I have other guitars (Martin HD-28, for example) that have that lush, warm, chordal bloom when i want that. When I want to hear a loud, clear, balanced, bell-like tone, the Taylor GA with Elixir HD lights has it. (By the way, my usual strings on that guitar were Elixir PB lights, which I loved until I tried the HDs. Still use that type on a 000-28H Martin.)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »
No love for the HD set (in PBs) from me.  For those who want to shift the tonal balanced toward the treb strings, then this is the set for you.  But the diminished bottom end is just not what I was looking for.  Every player's ear and guitar will vary, of course.  But since you asked...  :)

Edward

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:10:07 AM »
My better half asked me what I did to my guitar, and not in a good way!(she is not a musician). I left them on to break them in but really didn't care for the sound on my 314ce. EJ-16's seem to make that guitar sound best so far.
That said, they do sound great on my 414ce SLTD.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
Great input so far.  Jury's out for me--don't know if I like the brighter trebles, and my playing style (treble- eavy fingerstyle) may dictate I go back to a set with proportionally heavier bass strings (ie PB lights or DR Sunbeam mediums).
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

terrypl

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »
I would add to my comments above that a friend who plays fingerstyle with fingerpicks was blown away by the clarity he heard when he played my GA with HD lights. He had played the guitar before, and was struck by its significantly different tone — a tone that he liked better for his style of playing. He said, 'Wow, what did you do to this guitar?"

I play with a flatpick, that well-known "picky-strummy" style with bass runs and hammer-ons that you all are so familiar with. I don't hear "less" bass, just a clearer, more defined bass. What's "less" about the HD lights, to my ear, is that warmer, rounder bass tone I hear with other strings and with other guitars (such as my HD-28).

So, as with all tonal variations, whether it's "better" or "worse" depends on what you like. I admit that my preferences vary, which is why I feel blessed to have more than one guitar — sometimes I want to hear that lush, blended chordal bloom of an HD-28, and sometimes I want to hear that clear, bell-like bass run on top of a balanced chordal ring.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
I also notice more note separation (and fewer overtones) with the HD strings than with my JP PB lights.    My Froggy Bottom 00-sized guitar is more noted for its note separation than the Taylor GC, which with a standard string set plays more "legato ", but with the HD lights the Taylor comes a little closer to the note separation of Froggy..............
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'05 TAYLOR 614ce 

scusu

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »
I agree with terrypl's and JT's assessment on the clarity, separation, and bell like sustain on my GA eir/spruce bto. Also, the low E is nicely pronounced when picked. They're good for many fingerpicked songs but are missing the low/mid warmth when strummed. I've tried quite a few strings: JP lights and 710NM, elixir light 80/20 and PB, Martin SP PB light and FX light, D'addario exp 16, and DR rare medium. The John Pease NM's add the lower warmth I'm looking for but they're not as strong on the high end. I just ordered Elixir PB mediums to see how they do. I avoided mediums early on but my left hand and fingers are in better shape now that I have over 2 years of daily of practice. I guess if I want a bolder sound I have to go with the higher tension.
Steve

2014 K26e
2013 Taylor BTO GA EIR/SIT
1980 Sigma DR-28
Fishman Loudbox Mini

scusu

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 11:41:58 PM »
Just wanted to amend my statement about the John Pearse 710 New Mediums. The high end is fine when new but they lose their brilliance much faster than do the Elixirs.  At half the price it probably balances out but I am anxious to try the Elixir mediums to compare.
Steve

2014 K26e
2013 Taylor BTO GA EIR/SIT
1980 Sigma DR-28
Fishman Loudbox Mini

EGBDF_Paul

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »
I bought a 612CE a few months ago that came with PB HD lights. After a bit of experimentation I settled on the HD Lights 80/20. A maple guitar should be bright and I felt that the PB's were a bit more muddy (some might call it warm but to my ear it was muddy) . While I use Elixir lights 80/20's on all of my other guitars I stuck with the HD Lights on the 612 because they do sound darn good on that guitar.  I don't think the PB's are for me regardless of the guage.

Paul

ronmcc4

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
I just bought a set of John Pearse strings on a whim since one well-known online dealer really praises them.  Not sure which guitar I'm going to use them on - everything I have has newish strings at this point.  Just experimenting.
Ron in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------
2015 Taylor 614ce
2014 Taylor 324ce-K FLTD
2013 Taylor 512e 12-Fret
Journey OF660
2014 Taylor 514ce-N

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 12:28:42 AM »
My 2014 512 TF came with the HD Lights. I was immediately impressed by the the combination. Combination, because I realized that part of the experience was due to the 512 TF (mahogany/ceder). After a small repair job by Taylor Amsterdam, right in the beginning, it was returned with a different set of regular Elixirs. It was early Spring and they still not had HD lights in stock probably. I could not get hold of them either. When they finally became available in Europe I decided to buy five sets after I found a decent offer. Not of the PB's, but of the 80/20's because one way or another I like 80/20's more on all my guitars. I still loved the sound of the HD lights on my 512 so much that I also put them on my 812 (rosewood/spruce). Again the loud and balanced sound surprised me. I like the HD lights also because I tend to tune my guitars half a step down which this thicker and stiffer set allows me to do without any problem. Yet, sometimes I long for more suppleness and lightness. And as some of you noted, these HD's might be missing some warmth (more in combination with the 812 than with the 512) - although it partly depends also on the room in which you are playing and even the mood you are in. Meanwhile I noticed the wear on the G-strings, after just a little bit of playing (finger style) for which Elixir sent me another set btw (see other thread). I still think that this wear is unacceptable because it returns time and again. I will certainly use the remaining sets and would recommend to just try them even if it was only for a new experience in your quest for the holy grail. Don't think I will ever find it but as with the Olympics: playing is more important than finding...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:51:03 AM by TaylorMate »
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

etzeppy

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »
For those that report a shift towards the treb side or a loss of low end, are you moving to HD Lights from medium gauge or light gauge? My Taylor shipped with Lights. If I read the chart correctly, HD Lights are slightly heavier gauge on strings 1-3 and exactly the same on 4-6 (compared to lights). I'm struggling to see how that would shift tone to the treb side or change anything on the low end. I assume those that report such are switching from medium gauge and not light gauge. Am I correct or just confused?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:25:29 AM by etzeppy »