Author Topic: Elixir's G-string  (Read 5064 times)

azslacker

• Veteran Member
Re: Elixir's G-string
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
I get that exact wear as the the OP. I get it from fingerpicking, not at the frets. Always shows up around 3 weeks of steady play.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Rod Neep

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »
It isn't the guitar... it is the strings.

This may look familiar to you... ??
This was after less than 1 hour's playing on my mandolin.
They fray!

I promised myself that I wouldn't use Elixir strings again, but since my new Taylor Custom came with them I am giving them another shot. So far, so good.

OK.... on my *new* Taylor ... 12 August (and two weeks not being played in the period since then due to being away on vacation)... I considered that it needed a string change as the Elixirs were starting to lose their edge, especially the G string which was now lacking decent tone and sustain.

On inspection the G string was well and truly "fluffy" in the section of the string where I pick it the most. (And I am a fingerpicker).

So... that's it.

I won't be using Elixir strings again. Not ever. At the (high) price, they really should be better.
So I am back to the tried and very trusted D'Addario EJ16 (Phosphor Bronze Light Gauge) strings that I use on my other guitars.

Rod

drrohle

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »
Had the same problem with my new 114CE when I first got it. Elixer sent me replacements but they still frayed quickly.  On a lark I tried some Earnie Ball Earthwoods.  They have been on since last March and still show no signs of dulling, either visually or acoustically.

I play about 15 min. a day and a couple hours a day on weekends.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:57:05 PM by drrohle »

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »
Elixir sent me a replacement set some two weeks ago. This is what Elixir answered me by e-mail (I am not sure whether I am reassured...):

Dear Karel,

Thanks for your interest and support in Elixir® Strings, along with taking the time to write us.  I apologize for the experience you are having with our strings.

While it is not out of the ordinary for our coatings to fray, normally it happens over an extended period of time.
The frayed coating will not affect tone and the strings can remain bright long after the strings begin to fray.
Acoustic and electric guitar players typically see little particles or flakes in the areas that get the most abrasion.
Also comparatively heavy picks, specially out of metal, may prematurely cause damages on the coating.
While not pretty, the worn coating does not impact the string tone as long as the fingerboard is in a good condition.
Because there the strings are more often in contact with sweat and dirt and were well protected as long as the coating is intact.

Thanks and kind regards,

Elixir® Strings
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk