Author Topic: Launch Sequence Re- Activated - NGD: MISSION FAILURE  (Read 12664 times)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Launch Sequence Re- Activated !! Eight Weeks to Go...
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
Exciting, can't wait to see it! I've always been curious - are the Taylor BTO "list prices" THE price, or is there negotiation depending on all that you order?

They're truly list prices...your dealer will discount those prices based on his/her arrangement with Taylor.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 02:11:41 PM »
Exciting, can't wait to see it! I've always been curious - are the Taylor BTO "list prices" THE price, or is there negotiation depending on all that you order?

They're truly list prices...your dealer will discount those prices based on his/her arrangement with Taylor.

OK, so any "off list" from that pricing is the dealer's to decide. I guess I kinda knew that, but was wondering what to expect on average.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
Indeed, that was fast. Can't wait to see it.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:54 PM »

OK, so any "off list" from that pricing is the dealer's to decide. I guess I kinda knew that, but was wondering what to expect on average.

Others may want to chime in, but discounts could vary over a wide range, depending on the dealer...

$%
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:35:36 PM by UTGF-Team »

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »
Hey Strumming Fool! Looks like you have a beautiful guitar coming any day now.
I noticed on your original specs you ordered the ES1. I'm curious about why you chose ES1 over ES2?
Can't wait to see the pics!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »
Hey Strumming Fool! Looks like you have a beautiful guitar coming any day now.
I noticed on your original specs you ordered the ES1. I'm curious about why you chose ES1 over ES2?
Can't wait to see the pics!

My understanding is that due to the uneven density of bone, getting a good plugged-in sound is a bit trickier with the ES2. Since I'm happy with ES1.3 and I wanted bone nut and saddle, I thought it made more sense. I do like the ES2 on my 2013 FLTD 514 though....

Amos514

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 02:36:29 AM »
Can't wait to see pictures of it. I am pretty sure you will love the macassar. I did a BTO GC 12 fret with macassar and redwood. I like it a lot. Just put pictures a few days ago on the "Taylor guitar photos" page. Enjoy it!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
Re: Launch Sequence Re- Activated - NGD: MISSION FAILURE
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »
Well gang, my BTO arrived at my FLGS yesterday, and I went to pick it up today. To sum it up, Taylor made several errors with the specs: no bear claw figure on the top and no multicolored ebony on the headstock, fretboard or bridge as ordered. I was pretty bummed.
Mind you, the guitar is still beautiful with its edgeburst finished top, and the Macassar ebony turned out to be beautiful (probably the best visual feature of the guitar). Fit and finish were spot on. It played very well and sounded very nice. At the end of the day, I couldn't bond with it.
My dealer was already on the phone with Taylor yesterday, expressing his displeasure with their poor performance on this custom build. They have already assured him that they will do what it takes to make this right. The bad news is that they would have to start a brand new build from scratch, using a different Macassar set than I had originally chosen. In any case, be on the lookout for this guitar at a roadshow coming to your area - that's probably where it will end up.
I may go back to my other alternative, which was a K24e with upgraded koa. My dealer also showed me some other wonderful guitars from other makers today (Collings, Bourgeois, etc.) that I may consider, but I'm still leaning towards Taylor, as they are responsible for the six marvelous GAs I own today. I'll keep you all posted!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
I'm a strong believer that when these types of things happen, they happen for a reason.  Mark my words, you will be much happier with whatever you end up with (not that this guitar is bad or anything). You personally will connect with something bigger. Sorry for the added wait, though. I had to wait twice as long for my 512ce, because of a defect. Patience is a virtue. Keep us posted.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 07:09:52 PM »
That must be very disappointing, sorry.
I assume those details were clearly written on the build sheet you approved?
I know there are no places to put those types of specific values (bearclaw, wood figure, etc) other than to hand write them in usually.

I have been fortunate to do a number of BTOs over the years.
Luckily, all exceeded expectations.
They did get a requested detail wrong on one of them (a binding strip was placed down the back that I did not want or request). I considered not accepting it, or returning it for a bit. But I did wind up bonding with its tone, playability and looks pretty quickly, and decided it was a keeper and its wood pattern was irreplaceable for sure. It tends to be a fave now.

I got lucky. But I can understand the pain of waiting through the build process to not get what you asked for. It's too expensive to not be happy with what you recieve.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »
Well, that is a bummer!  Hard to imagine that they would get the order that far off, but we're all human, I guess...  Susie is correct:  as annoying as the outcome with this guitar is, things do happen for a reason.  And believe me (and without digressing into the details of my situation):  right now, I'm trying hard to remember that myself...

Heck, if the guitar had a cutaway, I might be tempted to consider it.  Given my current situation, it's probably just as well...  So again, things happened for a reason...! ;)
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »
That must be very disappointing, sorry.
I assume those details were clearly written on the build sheet you approved?
Oh yeah!
I know there are no places to put those types of specific values (bearclaw, wood figure, etc) other than to hand write them in usually.
And that's what we did (also with complete success in the past)
I have been fortunate to do a number of BTOs over the years.
Luckily, all exceeded expectations. 
Same here - I have two marvelous Taylor BTOs today, so three should have been a charm, right?

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »
Thanks for the support, guys. I really am at peace with this. I know it will turn out fine in the end. (I still trust Taylor to do the right thing after all my great experiences with them.) In fact, after the event today, I went out and bought myself a new suit (long overdue), and took my wife out for a romantic Italian dinner - so all is well, and God is still good!

In the grand scheme of life's challenges, this is pretty minor by comparison....

Thanks again!

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »
Thanks for the support, guys. I really am at peace with this. I know it will turn out fine in the end. (I still trust Taylor to do the right thing after all my great experiences with them.) In fact, after the event today, I went out and bought myself a new suit (long overdue), and took my wife out for a romantic Italian dinner - so all is well, and God is still good!

In the grand scheme of life's challenges, this is pretty minor by comparison....

Thanks again!

Sorry about that Strumming  :(   I also feel bad for your dealer...I bet they felt horrible.

Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
How disappointing! I know you have experience with BTOs and have not had problems before, but if I ever do one I'm going to go out to Taylor and hand pick all the wood.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa