Author Topic: GS Mini String change  (Read 5518 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
GS Mini String change
« on: July 26, 2014, 03:40:02 PM »
I went on a week long trip in our travel trailer last week.  I naturally brought along the GS Mini.  It has always been a nice sounding guitar that is a perfect size for such a situation..  When I got back home I decided to put new strings on it, it was in my opinion that they were starting to sound a little dull.

Yesterday I made the change.  I tuned it up and realized how nice a new set of strings sound, it is like a new guitar again.  Bass response is better, the mids are great and the highs are shimmering again.  I actually think I will change the strings a bit more often than once a year :o.

So, this is nothing new for everyone here I just love my Mini and had to share.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:48:20 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: GS Mini String change
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »
I had the exact same experience a month ago. I thought I had better change them a little more often too. What a difference it made. I love my minis too. I had my 414 all ready to go to the neighborhood get-together tonight and then decided that the mini spruce should go instead. Sounds weird,  but it holds it's own nicely.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »
I find the mini needs strings changed pretty often to sound great. I change them about every 4 weeks. Saving a lot of money by using Martin M150's. 1/3 the cost of Elixer's. The Martins work well in my open tuning.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
I have tried many different strings in the past, just not on the mini.  For me I have found that I like the Elixers the best.  That statement will of course open a can of worms and make many people take me to task on it.  But for me I like the Elixer strings.  With the exception of my Martin M-30 in which I like the Martin Lifespan SP Light which are a .012-.054 PB, they feature the Cleartone with proprietary technology that is similar to the coating that Elixer uses.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
I don't say a whole lot about strings either, but I too prefer the Elixirs on my Taylors.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

cassidy9914

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
Ya know... That reminds me. My mini needs a diaper change, the strings are getting a little stinky if ya know what I mean :o
16 214ce-K Deluxe
17 Academy Series A12
12 Fender FSR DG Black Strat
15 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
16 Fender Squier Classic 50's Strat
17 Gibson LP Tribute

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:07 AM »
When Obelix fell into the elixir he became invincible :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:15:19 AM by TaylorMate »
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »
FWIW, when the wife made me change out perfectly good medium gauge Elixir's on her GS Mini in favor of light gauge strings, I grabbed a set of GHS White Bronze from the string box.  These are nickle strings (intended to work better with a magnetic pickup) but I have used them for years to get a mellower tone and long life.  Before coated strings were on the market, I used them because they lasted a looooong time for me.  They sound like three day old strings when first tuned up, but stay that way for a couple of months without significant change.  Way better than 80/20 or PB strings, and comparable lifespan to Elixir's without the extra cost.

She likes the lower playing tension of light gauge and we both like the tone it gives the GS Mini mahogany.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

floyd80

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Hey Earl,

I know this is an old post, but what guage of those GHS White Bronze strings do you use?