Author Topic: GSMini headstock veneer peeling  (Read 10066 times)

EGBDF_Paul

Re: GSMini headstock veneer peeling
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
is the entire headstock overlay lifting or does it seem like the overlay is separating/delaminating ???

the only headstock overlay concerns i've seen were due to adverse humidity, which caused the
finish to lift, especially around the tuner bushings, but that was on rosewood headstock overlays -
on the silkscreen logo lexan ones, like on the babies, GS mini & 03-06 100 series, i've only seen a
concern where the overlay was lifting because the edge of the headstock had caught something

This happened on my 2008 816 CE. As you said it was around the G string tuner bushing. A kind of milky bubble formed around it and I though something had spilled onto the headstock. It wasn't until I was halfway "rubbing" it off that I realized that the finish was separating from the rosewood overlay. I am religious about humidity control near the sound hole but I don't do any kind of case humidity control.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »
Not to swim upstream here, but no one has mentioned over-tightening the nuts on the tuners.  This is one place where a little excess torque will hurt you, crushing the wood fibers and starting the delamination.  I noticed reading the thread that most reported the problem beginning at the tuner posts, not at the edges of the headstock.  Snug is plenty -- don't reef on it like a car wheel's lug nut.

And the humidity will stabilize throughout the case, so it is doubtful that a humidifier only at the sound hole (and none at the peg head) would make any real difference.  Maybe if your case is a cordura covered foam insert where the, moisture escapes via the zipper, but not likely with a good hard case.  You would be hard pressed to humidify only the body while not also treating the neck too.  That would require a sound hole plug, like the Kyser humidifers.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

EGBDF_Paul

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
Not to swim upstream here, but no one has mentioned over-tightening the nuts on the tuners.  This is one place where a little excess torque will hurt you, crushing the wood fibers and starting the delamination.  I noticed reading the thread that most reported the problem beginning at the tuner posts, not at the edges of the headstock.  Snug is plenty -- don't reef on it like a car wheel's lug nut.

And the humidity will stabilize throughout the case, so it is doubtful that a humidifier only at the sound hole (and none at the peg head) would make any real difference.  Maybe if your case is a cordura covered foam insert where the, moisture escapes via the zipper, but not likely with a good hard case.  You would be hard pressed to humidify only the body while not also treating the neck too.  That would require a sound hole plug, like the Kyser humidifers.

Understood on the torque but I've not done anything to the tuners.

Good info on the humidity. I've always kept the guitar in the original Taylor hard shell case. Use to use Damp-It but switched to Oasis last fall.

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »
Paul, I'm not saying that you over-tightened them.  But it seems likely that someone did at some point.  Is there visible denting that matches the washer or grommet around the tuning post?  Also with the plastic overlay, delamination of the surface layer may be more likely than it is with UV poly applied to wood.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

EGBDF_Paul

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
Paul, I'm not saying that you over-tightened them.  But it seems likely that someone did at some point.  Is there visible denting that matches the washer or grommet around the tuning post?  Also with the plastic overlay, delamination of the surface layer may be more likely than it is with UV poly applied to wood.

Earl

I don't want to hijack the thread. If need be we can start another?

Take a look at the attached pic (hope I did it right).  Maybe there are some clues there. Honestly, I don't remember when I first noticed it. I had the guitar re-setup over the winter and I'm pretty sure the "bubble" was there before then. What you see in the pic is my attempt to rub off what I thought was spillage (clueless as to how that could have happened). When I realized it was not spillage I stopped.

It's kind of annoying because this guitar is 6 years old and it is pristine ... except for that.

Thanks

Paul

Earl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:11 PM »
Paul, I don't think we are hijacking the thread - merely following the dialogue.  This seems to happen on both GS Mini's with the plastic overlay and with regular Taylor with the UV cured poly finishes.  (There is one in the "for sale" listings right now showing the same issue).  The only way to tell for sure would be remove the string and take the nut and bushing off the tuning post.  Then see if there is a matching dent.  That is not the only cause for finish lifting, and once it starts it would easily progress just as your photo shows.  Any time there is an edge there is the possibility of moisture intrusion, or poor adhesion, or.....

EGBDF_Paul

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Paul, I don't think we are hijacking the thread - merely following the dialogue.  This seems to happen on both GS Mini's with the plastic overlay and with regular Taylor with the UV cured poly finishes.  (There is one in the "for sale" listings right now showing the same issue).  The only way to tell for sure would be remove the string and take the nut and bushing off the tuning post.  Then see if there is a matching dent.  That is not the only cause for finish lifting, and once it starts it would easily progress just as your photo shows.  Any time there is an edge there is the possibility of moisture intrusion, or poor adhesion, or.....

OK, thanks. I saw the one for sale and that's exactly how mine started. I'm of the mind to give Taylor a call and see what they have to say about it.

Paul

Edit 7/25/2014: spoke with Taylor. Turns out the place where I ordered my 612 CE is authorized to do finish work. I'll bring it in to them when I pick up the new guitar. They'll have the option of doing it themselves or send just the neck to Taylor. Either way, as the original owner this will be gratis.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:07:16 PM by EGBDF_Paul »