Author Topic: Show Us Your Sapwood Guitars  (Read 16009 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Show Us Your Sapwood Guitars
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
These are some beauties in this thread! 8)
Cindy

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »
These are some beauties in this thread! 8)

You are so right. I love the uniqueness of each one.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Oh man.. This is an area I have a lot of experience with.
I happen to LOVE some sapwood in my guitars..
And have always looked for pieces with some interesting patterns and grains..
Heres a peek:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3GrhkPxGrkGMz

Some preview images. (see above link for full resolution).
I am clearly a sappy guy!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
Nice Dave!  Some of the nicest I have ever see.

He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

madx2

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:14 AM »
I love the look of these sapwood guitars.  I'm curious though, does the sapwood have any effect on the sound?  Better/worse than one without?

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 12:40:13 PM »
I love the look of these sapwood guitars.  I'm curious though, does the sapwood have any effect on the sound?  Better/worse than one without?

My experience and belief says no, no tonal impact, purely visual.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 05:42:07 PM »
I love the look of sapwood on Cocobolo.  Then again, I love everything about Cocobolo!

Cocobolo #1 -- '02 814c Custom "TaylorStock".  My T-Stock order was pretty tame compared to others that came out of that event.  Sitka top with incredible silking, Cocobolo back & sides with 3-piece back, Maple binding.  Pretty much the Fall Limited offering for that year (Though I didn't know it at the time!), other than the Koa Torch inlay on the headstock and a V-profile neck -- Very comfortable.  This guitar is still my first grab when recording.  Incredibly balanced and easy to record.

The Front...

...And now the back...:

Cocobolo #2 -- Came less than a year later.  2003 912ce Custom Shop -- Cocobolo back & sides (Again, a 3 piece back), Engelmann top, Maple binding, 1-7/8" nut width.  A beautiful instrument.  I'll be honest with you, it took a few years for the voice on this guitar to mature and become what I consider worthy of keeping.  I played the heck out of it to get it to open up, but it was a stubborn beast, sounding stiff and flat acoustically.  In the past few years, it has developed a warmth and character to match the laser focus of the tone and is now an excellent sounding guitar.  The wide nut has always been really comfortable and easy to play.  It is on the docket to get sent into El Cajon for an ES retrofit sometime this year (It currently has 1st Generation system).

Front:

...And the back...:

Cocobolos #3 & #4 came and went.  Very pretty but didn't trip my trigger sonically, so they hit the road.  Maybe a coincidence, but they didn't have any sapwood on them either...    ;)

Cocobolo #5 -- Came in 2008.  This custom/BTO features the GS body shape, another beautifully silky Engelmann top (Coco/Engelmann is just a killer combination!), Koa binding and rosette, and a blank fretboard.  In going around with the factory on backwood ideas, they came up with an interesting option -- a four piece back to create the chevron-like pattern of the sapwood.  After convincing me that it wouldn't impact tone, I gave it the thumbs up and the crew in California created this beauty.  Tonally, it is incredible and banjo killing loud to boot.  Infinitely versatile and incredibly comfortable to play, this is my primary church guitar and back up to the 916 for the secular gigs.

Front...:

... The back...:

...And a close up to show the detail on the back, including Koa micro-strips between the outer edges of the sapwood and heartwood pieces...:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:44:27 PM by Gutch »
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
Gutch... you had me at "Coco".....
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »
Beautiful pieces Gutch.
Definitely a "theme" of dual sapwood striping in your Coco.
Your GS is probably my favorite, but they are all very awesome looking..

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »
Coco 2 and 5 have stellar tops!  I love the fact that both are engel, but indeed, the silking is stunning.  And the Florentine has always been my favorite!  If I had any decent photography skills I'd try to capture some of the stellar silking in my RTs and DNcustom.  But yours are, needless to say, gorgeous.  Enjoy!  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:34:10 PM by Edward »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »
Gutch....your guitars are stunning!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
Thanks, folks.  The credit goes to Taylor for building these beauties.  I was lucky enough to bea able to bring them home!  :)
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »
Beautiful pieces Gutch.

Dave, I've been drooling over all the great looking instruments you've posted above and also the ones you've been moving.  Isn't it incredible what the gang at Taylor can put together?
-- Plato

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 09:52:53 PM »
Beautiful pieces Gutch.

Dave, I've been drooling over all the great looking instruments you've posted above and also the ones you've been moving.  Isn't it incredible what the gang at Taylor can put together?

Absolute works of art sometimes.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
Wow, all beautiful!

Funny I saw this thread, I was just reading an old Wood and Steel (last summer highlighting the ebony mill purchase) and Bob Taylor mentioned how they were beginning to get people to accept the variegated ebony (which I have always liked) for fretboards and likened it to the fact that people didn't like sapwood back in the day but now it's requested.