Author Topic: Heading down a different path  (Read 5089 times)

darylcrisp

Heading down a different path
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »
Hi folks
First, i want to say thanks for such a neat forum and for keeping it that way.
I love Taylor guitars and what i interpret them to embody. I think Bob Taylor has to be a very cool guy.

I sold my last taylor last month and i've moved on to another brand.

So i now have the small body 12 fret i've craved for so long- the whole body of the guitar resonates on every string/every note-talk in the soundhole and it resonates and the strings make music. i have 1 7/8" nut width, 2 5/16" string spacing at the saddle, a shortscale at 24.75" and the relief is as low as any taylor i've owned(.003") with no buzz and a lot of power. The neck plays as fast and as easy as anything i've owned. Neck set is dead on.

Today i purchased another small body all mahogany-i tried the Taylors, but i just didn't want to get stuck with the 2 3/16" at the saddle spacing. Yet again, the nut width and saddle string spacing was the deciding factor. Lots of projection and power and tone.  And it comes in under 4 lbs and with a "dirty burst" that is too cool.

I would buy another Taylor in a minute if i could get the saddle string spacing i want-can't do it though. They offer the one and only spec.

With the addition of Andy Powers, i think Taylor has made many positive moves and  the guitars are sounding better and better. Now, offer us some adaptability for a BTO with some different string spacing.

i'll swing by every now and then, and i'm sure at some point i'll own another Taylor-just not sure when or why unless some things in the offerings of the spec sheets change.

have a Blessed week and thanks for all the help in the past
d
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:52:56 PM by darylcrisp »

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
Re: Heading down a different path
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:59:14 AM »
Good luck to you! It sounds like you've gone rogue! I guess you aren't going to tell us what the other guitars are :(

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:10:12 AM »
Good luck to you. You have to do what's best for you. I respect anyone who goes to another brand, but still has good things to say about Taylor. Hope you enjoy your new guitar/s....they sound wonderful.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ◎ K24ce ◎ 414 ◎ GSMeK+
Ponos: ABD-6C Master Series (Cedar/Acacia) ◎ MGBD-6 Deluxe (Mango) ◎ MB-6 (Mahogany)

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:56:53 AM »
While I would never part with my BTO GC, sometimes I depart for the wide open spaces of my 1930 Martin 2-17 (1-7/8" nut and 2 5/16" saddle).
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:58:42 AM »
Hi daryl

I wish you all the best in your endeavors. You know you can always check in from time to time. These folks will love you whether you own a Taylor at the moment or not.

Like you, I have diversified! And the uke thing is just so much fun! If it weren't for you and BigSkyTaylorPlayer I probably wouldn't haven't stepped out and tried one out. Thanks for that!

Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:44:30 AM »
It's been a pleasure having you here, and I truly wish you the best as you move in a new direction.

So let me ask you...are there guitar manufacturers that will build BTO's which deviate from their normal string spacing? I realize not every manufacturer will use the same specs as Taylor Guitars so other brands may differ. I guess I'm wondering if changing the string spacing has any effect on the overall tone or structure?
Cindy

mikeguywest

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:31:35 AM »
It's all good! The overriding characteristic of Taylor players is that we LOVE playing guitars. You still fit that category, so we can at least call you a cousin (if you replaced with Martins, a distant cousin) ;). If I had the opportunity (hence finances) there would be more guitars in my repertoire, and some from other makers. Though the two I have, I could never trade in for another, they're here to stay. Good strummin' to ya!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
It's all good! The overriding characteristic of Taylor players is that we LOVE playing guitars. You still fit that category, so we can at least call you a cousin (if you replaced with Martins, a distant cousin) ;). If I had the opportunity (hence finances) there would be more guitars in my repertoire, and some from other makers. Though the two I have, I could never trade in for another, they're here to stay. Good strummin' to ya!
If you ever quit playing all together we will dis-own you. :) :D ;D :o  Just kidding.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

darylcrisp

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »
Good luck to you! It sounds like you've gone rogue! I guess you aren't going to tell us what the other guitars are :(

I haven't taken pics yet but plan to for a review in a week or two. Owned it for over a month now-amazing more and more each time I pick it up-it is the most musical guitar I've owned(and that counts other Martins/taylors/goodalls/beneteau's/mayes/matons, and probably a few I've forgotten). Here is a link to the store photos:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313342

and the incoming:
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/00DBTwdy/M1713226/M1713226-front-large.jpg
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/00DBTwdy/M1713226/M1713226-angle-large.jpg
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/guitars/00DBTwdy/M1713226/M1713226-back-large.jpg
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:15:28 PM by darylcrisp »

darylcrisp

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
It's been a pleasure having you here, and I truly wish you the best as you move in a new direction.

So let me ask you...are there guitar manufacturers that will build BTO's which deviate from their normal string spacing? I realize not every manufacturer will use the same specs as Taylor Guitars so other brands may differ. I guess I'm wondering if changing the string spacing has any effect on the overall tone or structure?

Cindy
Of the big shop guys, i know you can order a lot of variation in string spacing at the nut and saddle, and neck profile, with Martin.  Collings also offers multiple variations in nut width and saddle string spacing and neck profile.
Of the smaller shop folks like Goodall, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, you can get anything you want.

I've had opportunity to experience a lot of these spec variations and have settled on what i prefer(which is at least 2 1/4" saddle string spacing and at least 1 13/16" at the nut). The 2 3/16" is just too tight for me these days.

Taylor is so innovative, i just find it hard to believe a person can't get a difference in spacing at the saddle.

I know they've made some guitars in the past with wider spacing at the saddle, the Chris Proctor signature model being one. For some reason i thought the DDSM(the high end model), had 2 1/4" at the saddle, but could be wrong on that.

No tone difference with these changes at all, just a comfort/personal preference. But, if you think about it, if you have an instrument setup how you like it so it blends and becomes a part  of you rather than you having to compensate or adapt, your tone and quality of notes will be superior. So in a way, finding the correct size neck and string spacing will help tone production in the end IMO. A lot of performers will agree with me i believe. Larry Pattis, Bill Mize(who changed out the fretboard on his 1962 Martin(braz) to a wider spacing top to bottom), even some bluegrassers-Dan Tymenski(spelling?) had his signature martin dread with 2 1/4" at the saddle.

d

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 08:44:37 PM »
I don't want to sound like I'm saying "goodbye" because you said you'd swing by from time to time ...which is great, Daryl!  Holding you to it!  ;)

Eveyone has got to find their niche in guitars: glad you found yours!  It's about the music, afterall; and how our guitars fit us in terms of tone, comfort, and aesthetics.  Glad you found your fit.  And thanks for your seasoned and balanced contribution to this community!  Be well friend! :)

Edward

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
Hey Daryl-

Please keep in touch - gotta love those Martin 00s - having owned a few, I know how nice they can be. Enjoy the journey!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

darylcrisp

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
thanks folks

I really appreciate the thoughts and cool vibe. Everyone is top shelf around here. I'm sure i'll find another Taylor in time.

d

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »
Geeze Daryl, when will I ever talk to you again...Oh yeah..."there." ::)
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
Enjoy the new Martin, Daryl, and know the door is always open here.  I've enjoyed your posts and hope to see you around here any ol' time.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini