Author Topic: Alternate case for GS-Mini  (Read 2936 times)

rletson

Alternate case for GS-Mini
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »
There have been occasional posts on a sturdier case for the Mini, and after much searching and pestering of store salespeople and manufacturer customer-service reps, I settled on Saga's TL-60 polyfoam case for those times I want to fly with it.* It is a bit longer (4") than the Taylor hard bag and a couple inches wider across the upper-bout segment, but not nearly as big as some classical-size foam cases I looked at. The internal dimensions are just a skootch larger than the Mini (primarily the body length), but the case is otherwise a good fit, with foam pads that clamp the neck at body and headstock ends. Best of all, it seems very rigid and strong, which is a primary concern for me. It will probably not resist being run over by a baggage wagon, but it seems quite able to resist the normal stresses of stacking, and the foam construction offers better shock absorption than a molded hardshell case in the case of a fall (or toss).

Its general construction is close to that of the old Protec trapezoidal cases or the discontinued SuperCase, though I'm not sure whether the sidewalls have the wood reinforcement that makes those cases so rugged. I have flown a lot with a SuperCase protecting my big swing guitars, and I have a lot of confidence in its design/construction formula. The TL-60 is pretty close. In a couple weeks I will be able to report on a field test, including the current state of airline treatment of passengers boarding with guitar cases. (In the past I've flown with a Baby in its hard case about half the time and never had any problems at all.)

*I queried a trustworthy dealer about the TKL aftermarket foam case, but he thought it was not as crush-resistant as I would have liked. But I haven't seen one in person, so that might remain an option.

leeasam

Re: Alternate case for GS-Mini
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »
SKB makes this. It is a soft case but has the same molded interior like the hardhsell cases.
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_type-soft-75&id=685&o=&offset=1&c=75&s=75#
2010 816CE Taylor
2012 PRS P22 Black Gold wrap around
2012 Taylor GS mini

otis66

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »

Bill G

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
SKB makes this. It is a soft case but has the same molded interior like the hardhsell cases.
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=sku_type-soft-75&id=685&o=&offset=1&c=75&s=75#

I use that exact SKB case on my GS mini. It's a great case and really fits and protects the guitar well, has a grip of storage. The only thing is the lid is a little top heavy when open and sometimes can tend to want to cause the case to rock over sometimes when opened. The GS Mini is not quite heavy enough sometime to keep this from trying to happen ( more commen if things are stored in the lids compartment, just beware) It is way better than the hard GS Mini factory gig bag. I also pull the lid stop strap to the out side first then I shut the lid then I tuck the lid stop strap long ways along the zipper channel underneath the zipper then I zip over it. I do this because of the straps length, it just works better this way and it is not crushed against the body of the guitar between the lid when its shut (really no big deal but I prefer it this way)

Take Care All, :) :) :)
Bill G
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:00:50 PM by Bill G »
Every day that is given to us is a great day....I pray I don't forget my blessings.

rletson

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:38:45 PM »
Aargh--I mistyped (actually, I suffered a brain-hiccup): I meant to refer to the SKB, not a TKL case.

That Oklahoma case looks adequate, but it's rather pricey for what it is--and I've come to appreciate the shock-absorbing qualities of foam-body cases. (It also lacks shoulder-strap attachments--a serious issue for trekking through airports, or to gigs, for that matter.)