Author Topic: Tips for photographing guitars  (Read 11211 times)

Nomad

• Veteran Member
Re: Tips for photographing guitars
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 02:12:27 AM »
I shared a link to some good photos. That's all. I also stated that I thought he used natural lighting (which would be the tip: to use natural lighting).

I don't understand why you're getting upset, or why you feel the need to be "diplomatic".

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »
... I don't understand why you're getting upset, or why you feel the need to be "diplomatic".

I didn't get the impression that he was getting upset and we would all do well to be diplomatic, tactful and polite.

It is good to know when to let something go.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
I guess I just don't understand how sharing some good photos is "hijacking".

Like I said, if good photos of guitars are ill-placed in a thread about how to take good pictures of guitars, I'll bow out.

Sharing some good photos is welcome, Nomad! :D However, your continual praise of one individual does make me wonder especially when the sole purpose of a post is to promote an individual (like you did above). ;)

If you have some good photos to share and would like to explain how they were derived, that would be welcome. :)
Cindy

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »
I guess I just don't understand how sharing some good photos is "hijacking".

Like I said, if good photos of guitars are ill-placed in a thread about how to take good pictures of guitars, I'll bow out.

Sharing some good photos is welcome, Nomad! :D However, your continual praise of one individual does make me wonder especially when the sole purpose of a post is to promote an individual (like you did above). ;)

If you have some good photos to share and would like to explain how they were derived, that would be welcome. :)

I'm not a photographer, Cindy.

I know someone who takes excellent photos of guitars. I shared a link to those photos, and there was discussion about how he shot them.

Call me crazy, but I thought that's what this thread was supposed to be about.

GtrgRrl

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »
Clean up the background.
I bought some black felt at a fabric store for a couple dollars a linear yard.  The stuff I got is 72" wide (6 feet) and I bought about 5 yards. 
I tacked that to the drywall in my garage and the only light I used was one of those 500w construction lamps placed off to the left.
I angle the guitar(s) to the right until I have the shot I want WITHOUT reflections.

Use a tripod!  Even with a fast shutter speed there is enough movement with a handheld cam that you ever so slightly blur the photo.
Also, use the shot timer, mine is variable, I set it for about 4 seconds.  Anything will do as long as you can get your hands off.

Don't use flash. 

Get the camera to the height of the guitar, stay back about 10 feet and use OPTICAL zoom (never digital zoom) to fill your frame.  If you get too close to your subject the proportions get out of whack.

These are my results:

In that last one of the GS-Mini back I had the light angle wrong and was picking up glare, I tried to kill it by holding a sheet of typing paper in front of the lamp but some glare still came through.

This is the lamp style I used for all of these:

I removed the wire cage from the front of the lamp as not to cast shadows.  Keep away, it gets HOT!

All of those were shot with only that lamp, in the closed garage that was otherwise pitch dark.
:)
-K

Using felt is a really good idea.  It's not reflective like paper or other fabrics can be. 
You got some great shots with things that most people can get for pretty cheap.  I love that kind of stuff.
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.”   Keith Richards

www.portlandmusiccompany.com

GtrgRrl

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 04:44:14 PM »
The guy who shot these sure seems to know what he's doing:

http://pmcbroadway.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-not-bigger.html

This guy has a pro lighting equipment. Very warm pictures :)

Actually, he doesn't.  This is the store I manage and Steve just uses our natural light and let me tell you, sometimes it's a real challenge.  He does at times utilize black or white fabric (usually held by me :D) to eliminate reflections.  He also uses a tripod and a remote like ND. 
“Music is a language that doesn’t speak in particular words. It speaks in emotions, and if it’s in the bones, it’s in the bones.”   Keith Richards

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »

Actually, he doesn't.  This is the store I manage and Steve just uses our natural light and let me tell you, sometimes it's a real challenge.  He does at times utilize black or white fabric (usually held by me :D ) to eliminate reflections.  He also uses a tripod and a remote like ND.

Regarding the photographs you posted earlier using felt fabric as a background, how did you set your camera's exposure meter? Center weighted, spot, evaluative? Did you use an incident light meter?

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »
and we would all do well to be diplomatic, tactful and polite.

I think I have been.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 07:43:16 PM »

I think I have been.

I mentioned that it is always good to be diplomatic because you said, you didn't understand why Captain Jim felt the need to be "diplomatic".

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »

I think I have been.

I mentioned that it is always good to be diplomatic because you said, you didn't understand why Captain Jim felt the need to be "diplomatic".

I guess what I don't understand, then, is Jim's need to tell the moderators that he was trying to be diplomatic.

Neither here nor there. I provided a link to some photos which are very, very good. Enjoy them or not.

I'm going for a ride.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:24 PM »
Clean up the background.
I bought some black felt at a fabric store for a couple dollars a linear yard.  The stuff I got is 72" wide (6 feet) and I bought about 5 yards. 
I tacked that to the drywall in my garage and the only light I used was one of those 500w construction lamps placed off to the left.
I angle the guitar(s) to the right until I have the shot I want WITHOUT reflections.

Use a tripod!  Even with a fast shutter speed there is enough movement with a handheld cam that you ever so slightly blur the photo.
Also, use the shot timer, mine is variable, I set it for about 4 seconds.  Anything will do as long as you can get your hands off.

Don't use flash. 

Get the camera to the height of the guitar, stay back about 10 feet and use OPTICAL zoom (never digital zoom) to fill your frame.  If you get too close to your subject the proportions get out of whack. ...

How did you set your exposure meter? Center weighted, spot, evaluative?

Hi Herb, for nearly all of them I just left it at centerweighted.  I tried evaluative but with the 'white' guitar against the black background it was trying to lighten the black too much and the guitar just washed out.  For the closeup of the headstock I did set it to spot and I also set the exposure to +2/3 stop. 
Thanks!
:)
Member #34
I'm not darth.

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:07 PM »
As a followup, I don't use an incident light meter for guitar shots.  I just relied on the on-board reflected light meter within the camera.
The camera I'm currently using is the Sony RX-100, a pretty high-end compact. 
In the past I've had pretty good luck with our Canon A720, which is totally fine for still-life-type shots.  The RX excels at focusing speed and minimal shot-to-shot delay and flash recharge, which are imperative when trying to capture action shots of my toddler (with a toddler ALL shots are action shots!).  :)

I took a look at the link posted by Nomad, and one thing I really like about those is that the background is blurred (wide aperture) so the subject really 'pops', and that the blurred background contains complementary items, other guitars, that work well with the composition on the whole.  If you're unable to 'eliminate' background clutter by using felt or another backdrop, the next best option is to blur it and include complementary objects.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:49:43 PM by not darth »
Member #34
I'm not darth.

GtrgRrl

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 07:28:01 PM »
Since Steve isn't on this forum, I'll get his permission first, but I think he won't mind me showing you his latest setup.   :)

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:13 PM »
I am a total amateur hack when it comes to photography (and playing guitars, for that matter) but I agree with an earlier poster that controlling reflections is key.

This was shot with the guitar against a black velvet-like blanket. The only source of light was through an open window.

I'll just say it's amazing what our eyes don't see through the viewfinder that become blindingly obvious when you see the resulting picture. For example, can you see the ceiling fan blade in the reflection? Oops!

James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Jake_Henry

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »
Black felt background looks great I think... good tip!
2001 w12ce