Author Topic: Tips for photographing guitars  (Read 11210 times)

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Tips for photographing guitars
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
In light of some of the gorgeous guitar pics we've seen on our forum, it would be great if some of our photographers would offer some tips on how they've captured their impressive guitar photos. Below are just some suggestions to get you started. Anyone else with a question, please feel free to ask! :D

• What types of lights/strobes have you used?
  • Do you have any tips on how to take great photos on a limited budget (or how to get awesome shots without using professional equipment)?
  • How can reflections or glare be minimized or eliminated?
  • Any other secrets you can share?

Cindy

Nomad

• Veteran Member
Re: Tips for photographing guitars
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »
The guy who shot these sure seems to know what he's doing:

http://pmcbroadway.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-not-bigger.html

Terry

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
Good pictures have more to do with good lighting than expensive cameras. Diffused light early in the morning or late afternoon outside can help achieve great pics of guitars. Do a search both on guitar forums and photography forums and you will find a wealth of knowledge.
Good luck,
Terry
"Give me some words to dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman
814 (no C, no E),  LKSM-12, Taylor Baritone 6, Holden Village GS Mini

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »
Clean up the background.
I bought some black felt at a fabric store for a couple dollars a linear yard.  The stuff I got is 72" wide (6 feet) and I bought about 5 yards. 
I tacked that to the drywall in my garage and the only light I used was one of those 500w construction lamps placed off to the left.
I angle the guitar(s) to the right until I have the shot I want WITHOUT reflections.

Use a tripod!  Even with a fast shutter speed there is enough movement with a handheld cam that you ever so slightly blur the photo.
Also, use the shot timer, mine is variable, I set it for about 4 seconds.  Anything will do as long as you can get your hands off.

Don't use flash. 

Get the camera to the height of the guitar, stay back about 10 feet and use OPTICAL zoom (never digital zoom) to fill your frame.  If you get too close to your subject the proportions get out of whack.

These are my results:

In that last one of the GS-Mini back I had the light angle wrong and was picking up glare, I tried to kill it by holding a sheet of typing paper in front of the lamp but some glare still came through.

This is the lamp style I used for all of these:

I removed the wire cage from the front of the lamp as not to cast shadows.  Keep away, it gets HOT!

All of those were shot with only that lamp, in the closed garage that was otherwise pitch dark.
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

theguitarguru

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »

This guy has a pro lighting equipment. Very warm pictures :)
If you registered in this forum, you are my 2nd family

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »

I'm almost certain he shoots using natural light, or whatever light is available in their showroom.

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
Clean up the background.
I bought some black felt at a fabric store for a couple dollars a linear yard.  The stuff I got is 72" wide (6 feet) and I bought about 5 yards. 
I tacked that to the drywall in my garage and the only light I used was one of those 500w construction lamps placed off to the left.
I angle the guitar(s) to the right until I have the shot I want WITHOUT reflections.

Use a tripod!  Even with a fast shutter speed there is enough movement with a handheld cam that you ever so slightly blur the photo.
Also, use the shot timer, mine is variable, I set it for about 4 seconds.  Anything will do as long as you can get your hands off.

Don't use flash. 

Get the camera to the height of the guitar, stay back about 10 feet and use OPTICAL zoom (never digital zoom) to fill your frame.  If you get too close to your subject the proportions get out of whack. ...

How did you set your exposure meter? Center weighted, spot, evaluative?

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:40:02 PM »

I'm almost certain he shoots using natural light, or whatever light is available in their showroom.

Certainly appears to be available light.  What makes these images stand out is the great use of depth of field; instead of utilizing a background, the focus on the main subject is such that the background is out of focus.  It's a technique used in portrait and commercial photography to show the subject in its environment, but high-lighting the subject while diminishing the attention on the background. 
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:24:06 AM »

Certainly appears to be available light.  What makes these images stand out is the great use of depth of field; instead of utilizing a background, the focus on the main subject is such that the background is out of focus.  It's a technique used in portrait and commercial photography to show the subject in its environment, but high-lighting the subject while diminishing the attention on the background.

And he appears to do it well.

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »

Okay Nomad...quit hijacking my thread--it's like you are a Steve fan with so many of your posts pushing him. It does make me wonder who you really are...

Anyone else have genuine comments which offer helpful info on photographing guitars? :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:44:00 PM by Cindy »
Cindy

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 06:18:33 PM »

Okay Nomad...quit hijacking my thread--it's like you are a Steve fan with so many of your posts pushing him. It does make me wonder who you really are...

Anyone else have genuine comments which offer helpful info on photographing guitars? :)

I didn't think I was hijacking anything, to be completely honest with you. I enjoy his photography. Reading the title of the thread, it would seem appropriate to include his photos, since he does a good job at it. I'm one of his customers, so I don't find it really too unusual that I would link to his photos. Captain Jim seems to be a fan, as well.

But I'm just an old biker, so what do I know? If well executed photographs of guitars are unwelcome in a thread about photographing guitars, let me know, and I will bow out of the conversation.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
Easy boy, don't put words in my mouth.  Stating that someone knows how to control depth of field doesn't make me "a fan."  There are plenty of good techniques for photographing products (guitars, for this thread), and controlling depth of field is effective.  So is good lighting, dynamic composition, lens selection, background selection, and knowing the best angles to show off the product.  There are MANY good photographers on this forum.  Kudos to all of them who take pride in their images and are willing to share them here.

I understand Cindy's perspective.  I was a moderator on a very active sailing forum... a rather thankless job.  Remember, we are guests in someone's "home" here, and when asked to work with the moderators, that is simply the polite thing to do.

I'm just another guest here, too, but I do recognize "a fan".  Just like the thread about the cover photo, I'll speak for myself.

Captain Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

shooter1103

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36:41 PM »
It's all about the light and background! I good solid tripod helps as well! Isolate and use a black or dark background as much as possible and use as little light as possible and as is needed.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »
Easy boy, don't put words in my mouth.  Stating that someone knows how to control depth of field doesn't make me "a fan."  There are plenty of good techniques for photographing products (guitars, for this thread), and controlling depth of field is effective.  So is good lighting, dynamic composition, lens selection, background selection, and knowing the best angles to show off the product.  There are MANY good photographers on this forum.  Kudos to all of them who take pride in their images and are willing to share them here.

I understand Cindy's perspective.  I was a moderator on a very active sailing forum... a rather thankless job.  Remember, we are guests in someone's "home" here, and when asked to work with the moderators, that is simply the polite thing to do.

I'm just another guest here, too, but I do recognize "a fan".  Just like the thread about the cover photo, I'll speak for myself.

Captain Jim

I guess I just don't understand how sharing some good photos is "hijacking".

Like I said, if good photos of guitars are ill-placed in a thread about how to take good pictures of guitars, I'll bow out.

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »
I know I am gonna regret this, but...

There is a difference between sharing tips (the topic of this post) AND sharing someone else's work, without explaining what "the tip" is.  We get it - you are a fan of Steve's, and since he isn't posting here, you are able to insert his... aw, nevermind.

As concerned as you were about the cover photo on another thread, I am surprised you would share someone else's work... you did get permission from the photographer, the guitar store, AND Taylor Guitars, didn't you?   ;D ;D

No doubt, you will, again, share with us that you don't understand the difference, but this is my last comment on this.

Mods, I'm trying to be diplomatic, but feel free to delete, if I am overstepping any boundaries here.
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini