Author Topic: My Taylor 414CE vs. a Gibson Hummingbird Artist  (Read 10638 times)

rickvox

My Taylor 414CE vs. a Gibson Hummingbird Artist
« on: December 30, 2012, 01:28:16 AM »
I was at an acoustic jam last night, when the guy sitting next to me asked to trade instruments for a few songs.

He handed me his guitar - told me it was a Hummingbird Artist model.  They sell for a hundred dollars more than a 414CE, so it's an interesting comparison.

The strings had a familiar feel - sure enough, they were the exact same set I have on my Taylor.  An even better comparison.

But that's where the similarities ended.  The Gibson didn't have the feeling of quality I get from my Taylor.  The neck didn't come close in playability, and the Gibson was mediocre in tone, at least to my ears.  Wonder what the other guy was thinking ;D

Hanging out at a variety of jams, I have the opportunity to sample many guitars.  I've played several that I really enjoyed, including a Larivee, among others.  But I'm even more satisfied with my Taylor as time goes by.   The quality and tone is always present, and I think it positively affects my playing.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: My Taylor 414CE vs. a Gibson Hummingbird Artist
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:09 AM »
Don't you just love when you get confirmation your honey is the sweetest. Glad you got to do the comparison.

And welcome to the forum. Hope you find it's comfy place to hang out. Enjoy!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
Having owned a Hummingbird in my past, I can concur with your findings - on the other hand, I've never played a bad 414. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:26:33 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

PTC Bernie

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
If you're a Taylor fan you probably like guitars that sound bright, which isn't "The Gibson Sound" that you hear so many folks talk about, so it makes sense that you probably weren't impressed with the sound of the Hummingbird. 

Taylor and Gibson necks are completely different, the Taylor's seem to have gone with a slimmer neck over time whereas Gibson has stayed close to the profile they've been using for a long time, at least for the most part.

Having said that, today's Gibsons aren't the guitars that the 60's and earlier ones were.  I can say that as I had a 65 J45 and let it go.  Stupidest thing I ever did.  Let's just say that if I had gotten rid of the ex Wife first I'd still have my J 45, BUT I DIGRESS!!!!

Glad you were able to trade off and confirm that you made the right decision.
Bernie

2006 Webber 000-12 fret

1995 Taylor 612C Custom

1968 Aria 6815 12 string

rickvox

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 12:38:13 AM »
If you're a Taylor fan you probably like guitars that sound bright, which isn't "The Gibson Sound" that you hear so many folks talk about, so it makes sense that you probably weren't impressed with the sound of the Hummingbird. 

Taylor and Gibson necks are completely different, the Taylor's seem to have gone with a slimmer neck over time whereas Gibson has stayed close to the profile they've been using for a long time, at least for the most part.

Having said that, today's Gibsons aren't the guitars that the 60's and earlier ones were.  I can say that as I had a 65 J45 and let it go.  Stupidest thing I ever did.  Let's just say that if I had gotten rid of the ex Wife first I'd still have my J 45, BUT I DIGRESS!!!!

Glad you were able to trade off and confirm that you made the right decision.

I agree that Gibson has made some wonderful guitars in the past (and presumably still today, as my comment was about that particular model).  I just thought it was interesting to compare recent models that retail in the same price range.  I was surprised how poorly the Gibson sounded....I've played acoustics made from various tonewoods, and body sizes, and can certainly appreciate mellower tones (I agree that many Taylors are in the brighter range).  The H.A. just struck me as very flat tonewise -- and it wasn't the strings (which appeared and felt very fresh). 

Thanks for the replies!

MTLeonard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »
I have had similar experiences. I have yet to find a guitar I like the sound and feel of as much as my Taylors. The Gibsons seem to sound dull and Martins vary so much from guitar to guitar. Taylors are very consistant.

I have yet to play or hear a 400 series Taylor I did not like. I do believe it is one of the best sounding/playing guitars being produced today. Factor in the price and you have a winning combination.
If Pro is the opposite of Con
Progress must be the Opposite of Congress

GS Mini
Grafted Walnut 414 LDT
714 W/Spruce Top
Dan Carry Signature

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:38:44 PM »
the body shape of the artist more closely resembles the songwriter than the hummingbird -
i'm pretty sure that uncoated phosphor bronze strings are on them from the factory &
to me, most gibsons i've played are more 'straight-forward' & direct, especially in the mids , although there
was a vintageburst hummingbird i came across that was really nice (not much more $ than the artist back then)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »
It's that "family" thing, I think.  Sure Taylors vary in tone from model to model, especially given the huge variances in woods and body shape; but they all have that Taylor family tone that sits right at the core of its voice.  Play enough of them and you hear that Taylor backbone tone while each specific guitar's specs flesh out the differences.  And the same goes for the Martins and Gibbys out there; they have "that voice" that either appeals or repels us.  I, personally, can appreciate Martins and Gibbys for their voice, and have even come to genuinely like a handful of them (literally only a few), but on the whole they were not the voice I ever gravitated toward.  There are a slew of folks who don't dig Taylor's voicings ...which is fine, of course, and makes for great variety out there.

That said, I will wholeheartedly agree with you on the quality of build and neck/playability!  I've seen some fine Martins and Gibbys, to be sure, but in the camp of overall quality and consistency over the line, none matches Taylor's execution across the board.  From their humble 100s to top-flight models, the consistently excellent build quality is so clearly evident to these eyes and hands.  Funny how paying a big-bunch of dough for a Taylor really doesn't get you a better playing or better built guitar: to me that is a testament of a company's credo.  I could never say the same about Martin or Gibson's lower-to-mid-priced offerings.  Just my experience and opinions, mind you.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:03:52 PM by Edward »

JB12

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:55 PM »
  Funny how paying a big-bunch of dough for a Taylor really doesn't get you a better playing or better built guitar: to me that is a testament of a company's credo.  I could never say the same about Martin or Gibson's lower-to-mid-priced offerings.  Just my experience and opinions, mind you.  :)

This really resonates with me.  I don't think that fact is arguable either.

-JB